Profile for Angela > Reviews

Content by Angela

Angela (UK)

Completely Unexpected Tales: Tales of the Unexpected and More Tales of the Unexpected: "Tales of the Unexpected" and "More Tales of the Unexpected"

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, shame about the price, 12 May 2011
These are absolute classics and I'd thoroughly recommend anyone who loved Roald Dahl as a child finding out more about his darker side. I'd suggest you stick to the paperback version though, which is over £4 cheaper than the kindle version!!

Joomla! For Dummies
Joomla! For Dummies
by Seamus Bellamy

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 23 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Joomla! For Dummies (Paperback)
This book just about fits the product description, but it's seriously lacking in some basic stuff. If you're a complete beginner and you want a "do this, do that, click here, get this!" type of walkthrough then it's... ok, I suppose but sometimes the instructions contradict themselves. When you don't get the expected results then there's no comeback, no reasons why it might not have worked - nothing. I've gone through one exercise to generate submenu items multiple times and I still can't get the result the book tells me to expect and have no clue why this might be - have started looking on the forums to find out what I'm doing wrong.

Other than that, there's no explanation of the concepts. Bear in mind, Joomla's got some fairly complex things going on, so when the book starts saying "do this in menu manager, but add this as a category, then link the category to the menu item, but tell the menu manager to use the article manager, and create submenus like this..." it can get confusing.

It's important to understand the way the different managers work together and I just haven't got this from that book. It attempts to explain it, but very briefly and I still have no idea. I regularly code with html, css, javascript and sometimes php, so I'm not incapable of understanding concepts - I just couldn't get them with this book.

Given the choice again, I'd probably work through the joomla website tutorials and wait for a better book rather than spend the money on this. I also don't think it's up to date as some of the screenshots don't match the 1.6 version I'm using - despite the description saying it's for this version.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2012 9:41 AM GMT

Kenwood BM200 Compact Breadmaker
Kenwood BM200 Compact Breadmaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best breadmaker for under £100, 19 May 2003
I bought the Kenwood breadmaker a couple of months ago, shortly after a relative of mine bought hers and have been absolutely thrilled with the result. If you don't have a breadmaker, imagine chucking a load of ingredients into a pan when you go to bed, and then waking up to the smell of freshly cooked bread in the morning. It's saved a fortune in breakfast cereals as all my daughter wants to eat is fresh bread and butter for breakfast! I've been much happier with my kenwood than others I know have been with their bread machines. It's got a good capacity bread pan, which is quite long in shape, so you can get two days worth of sandwiches to a loaf. It'll cook a great loaf in an hour, which is faster than most, and the sweet setting is ideal for making gingerbread loaf. The only minus is that it doesn't have a yeast or nut/fruit tray to drop the ingredients in at the specific time, but this isn't absolutely necessary and will cost you quite a bit more if you buy a machine with this facility. Overall, I couldn't be happier with mine.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2012 1:39 PM GMT