Profile for orostar > Reviews

Content by orostar

orostar

The Fall: The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek)
The Fall: The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Jan. 2014
I normally don't bother to review books as ultimately everyone's opinion will differ and aspects of a story that some people love others will inevitably hate. That being said this has to be one of the best Star Trek books I have read and so far is the standout winner of the Fall series. I won't say anything about details from the plot (no need for spoilers here) but this is the darkest and most noir Trek storyline and deservedly so as since the tragedy of the first book in the series we have been heading down a dark road in Star Trek. Suffice to say this book roars along and for me achieves the remarkable feat of making you love, hate and sweat along with the characters on the page. In a word, 'Brilliant'.

Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager)
Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager)
by Kirsten Beyer
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 3 Feb. 2013
Ok I admit I read this book out of sequence having first bought Unworthy and continuing up to Eternal Tide, so perhaps my expectations were somewhat high. Having said that this reads like a failed attempt at a television script, the time jumps are somewhat slapdash and actually dont contribute to the narrative and I actually reached the point of not caring what Chakotay or any other character actually said, (again I admit this is because I knew what the futute held for these characters), and this is my problem. I have read books out of sequence before and whenever I have gone back to a novel I missed have enjoyed it as it fills in all those niggardly gaps and scenes which may not have made one hundred percent sense, this book does not do this! It simply bores the reader with over emotional exposition and pretty simplistic motives.

Thankfully Ms Beyer ups her game considerably as the books progress and therefore just clings to the top spot in Trek literature. Just.