Profile for Cy Margucci > Reviews

Content by Cy Margucci

Cy Margucci (England)

Ladies Leather Cross Body Bag / Shoulder Bag with Three Separate Zipped Compartments. ( Black )
Offered by Lambland ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars This bag in black was perfect, not just for the holiday but for everyday ..., 25 Jan. 2016
I researched endlessly for a neat, unobtrusive cross body bag that would hold the basics -- wallet, keys, mobile phone and a few grooming and medical supplies -- and fit under a jacket. We were planning a short holiday, and I wanted to be able to walk with my hands and shoulders free. This bag in black was perfect, not just for the holiday but for everyday use. In fact, I've used it so much in the past ten months that the strap finally broke; not from mishandling, but because the leather-look strap material gave way where it was stitched across to secure it to the bag. The stitching perforated the strap material, and that appears to have weakened it. But I'm ordering a replacement. It's the perfect size, shape and light weight for me, and until I find something better I'll stick with this model.

ZAGGkeys Pro Plus Keyboard for Apple iPad 2/3
ZAGGkeys Pro Plus Keyboard for Apple iPad 2/3

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect keyboard with flawed staying power, 27 Mar. 2014
I've had my Zagg Pro Plus for 18 months. For me it's the perfect iPad keyboard. The keys are very comfortable to use, the action is fantastic, and the Zagg Pro/iPad look great together both open and closed. As another reviewer has said, this keyboard has transformed the way I use my iPad. My only complaint -- and with every passing month this becomes more serious -- is that when I'm typing or tapping away the iPad can suddenly fall out of the keyboard slot and onto the table or desk. It's a shocker every time it happens, especially if the iPad knocks something over. I had been using the keyboard for several months before it happened the first time. I stopped using the iPad in portrait format, but now it happens in landscape format as well, even when I'm typing, not tapping the screen. I have to move fragile objects out of the away in case the iPad falls, and wherever I can I prop the iPad against an object sturdy enough to stop it falling over. A great shame.

Rexel Crystalfile Extra Desk Organiser Silver
Rexel Crystalfile Extra Desk Organiser Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect solution, 24 Jan. 2012
An elegant solution: freestanding, sturdy, no assembly required. Turn it one way up and it takes A4 files, turn it the other way up for foolscap. Attractive enough to stay out on a desk or table, but I ordered two to fit inside an antique trunk. This was the only frame with the capacity and proportions I was looking for.

The Transit Of Venus (VMC)
The Transit Of Venus (VMC)
by Shirley Hazzard

1.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but bossy author gets in the way of her own story, 29 Jan. 2008
I am an avid reader of all sorts of fiction, and rarely give up on a book. But just a few pages into the first chapter of The Transit of Venus, I had to put this one down and take a breather. I picked it up again, full of hope (I had read the glowing tributes, including one by Michael Cunningham, who says Hazzard is "purely and simply, one of the greatest writers working in English today"). But by the third chapter I still didn't care about any of the characters or what was going to happen to them.

In what I did read, Hazzard's brilliant writing was very much in evidence. In fact, there was so much authorial brilliance, it got in the way of the characters and the story. As I turned the pages I found myself hoping for a little private time with the characters before the author elbowed them aside and started gossiping in my ear again. I was also puzzled that Hazzard's editor had allowed several completely incomprehensible paragraphs through to the final publication.

Having said all of that, I would like very much to like Hazzard's writing. The next time I attempt one of her books, I'll aim for her collection of short stories. After that I'll try The Great Fire, but I'll borrow a copy before I buy one to keep.