Profile for R. B. Harkess > Reviews

Content by R. B. Harkess

R. B. Harkess "Rob H" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
DragonSoul
DragonSoul

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 30 Jun. 2016
This review is from: DragonSoul (App)
pathetically simplistic, virtually no interaction

Summer Portable Plastic Fabric Hand Foldable Fan Black for Ladies Men
Summer Portable Plastic Fabric Hand Foldable Fan Black for Ladies Men
Offered by YwYl

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 30 Jun. 2016
Nice. Bit cheap, but good enogh

Dragonpad Brand Noble Luxury Victorian Tops Women Shirt Ruffle Flounce Ladies Blouse (L, White)
Offered by E-Good Store

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty enough for cos-play (for which it was intended) but ..., 30 Jun. 2016
Pretty enough for cos-play (for which it was intended) but as usual the size list didn't match in any way with the size chart and even though we ordered what should have been 2 sizes too big, it was still 4 inches too small across the bust.

Minetome Elegant Ladies Lace Long Sleeve Blouse Slim Fit High Collar Lining Ol Business Shirt
Offered by Buywell Soon
Price: £6.20 - £7.02

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Small, 30 Jun. 2016
It was pretty, but the lining was like a fleece and it was at least one if not two sizes smaller than advertised

Betron HDMI Switch, Switcher 3 Port, Gold Connectors, 3D support, HDMI v1.4 for HDTV, PS3, Xbox One, 360, Bluray Player, DVD Player etc (HDMI Switch)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Jun. 2016
Does what it says and cheap as chips

Green Sky & Sparks
Green Sky & Sparks

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant 'Sunday Afternoon' read, 23 April 2016
Long time since I felt like awarding five stars to a book.
I was flicking through my kindle, through a bunch of new e-books, and having a disappointing time of it (three books in a row I had not managed to get past the first couple of pages). The it felt like I'd take a dive into a refreshing, sparkling sea off the coast of some medittereanean beach... OK, so I'm stretching the metaphor. I'm trying to say the contrast was almost shocking.
I rarely say much about the story in reviews. I dont get the point of a precis the book for you and tell you about all the charcters. I mean, then whats the point of reading it? I'm much more about style, about the way the book is engineered. This book is a gem.
You know instantly that its going to be an easy read, you may even pause for a moment to make a mug of something and grab a packet of biscuits. You know this one is going to be a long ride. Now that I think about it, I believe the last time I got 'that' feeling was when I opened up the first volume of <i>The Belgariad</i>, by David Eddings. It's accessible and open and could be used as the definition for 'easy read'.
That's not to say its simplistic. Characters grow quickly, and the descriptive passages are intense without being laboured. There are always one or two characters in any book that don't seem to flesh out, but given this is the first novella in a series (currently of three), I have my suspicions they may be being saved for something else.
One of the things that intregues me about the setting si I cant decide if its an emerging technology, or a declined one. Coe, like myself, seems to enjoy mashing tech and magic, and here it really works well.
Looking forward to the second volume. And the third.

Vivo© Heavy Duty 50kg Weight Capacity Industrial Hand Trolley Cart Folding Foldable Easy Store Car Van Garage Home Warehouse

2.0 out of 5 stars making it tiresome to push or pull, 8 Aug. 2015
Not up to the job. The way the wheels are positionned causes the handle to constantly fight to jump upright gain, making it tiresome to push or pull. On top of that, the cogs that turn the wheels out are very week and broke within a year. For very very light loads only (less than 20 KG)

Memento Mori
Memento Mori

4.0 out of 5 stars Cunning period peice, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Memento Mori (Kindle Edition)
Memento Mori is a tale of revenge, and like all such stories as a bleakness to it. It has overtones of Joe Abercrombie’s “Best Served Cold” - but we are at least spared another repeat of that overused ‘Klingon Proverb’ quote.

The stories dual threads weave intricately around each other, drawing ever closer until thy meet with an interesting twist. That’s as much as I will say about plot. Others will summaries it in their reviews, and I don’t want to give out spoilers.

A common problem in revenge plots is that if there are not enough characters the narrative feels obsessive, and too many can result in incomprehensible complexity. Memento Mori's cast is large enough to keep the narrative fresh without without getting tangled or losing character depth.

The lead characters and the location are the main strngths of this book. The author turns a mean descriptive phrase, and can set the tone of a scene with a couple of well-turned sentences. The characters are very much in-period, without drifting into hammy dialog.

Memento Mori was something of a surprise to me, as the author’s previous book (The Lady Astronomer) was Young Adult and this is most definitely not. Having said that, it was an excellent read and kept me guessing to the end. Recommended.

Secret Cargo
Secret Cargo

4.0 out of 5 stars Twisty turny fun, 21 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Secret Cargo (Kindle Edition)
This is the first thing I have seen from Charles since `This is the Quickest Way Down' and I was instant taken back to the quirky style I remembered. This is slightly outside of his Urban Fantasy playpen; much more Steampunk and very good at it too. The technology concepts are quite delightful.
Having said that I did think that both the main characters turning out to be unlikely closet ancient (20th Century) history geeks stretched the plot a little and did in some ways seem a vehicle to mention a lot of books and films. I didn't quite get what that was to do with the story, and it did distract a little from the main plot. Which was a shame, as I enjoyed the simplicity of the setting and the retelling of a classic abandonment story.
On the flip side I loved the idea of an AI system that had a primary interface about as helpful as a DOS session
Of course, I can't tell you much else about it without going into spoilers. It is, after all, a short story. I'll settle for saying that its very much up to the standard one would expect from Charles.

Faithfull 10-inch Tailor Shears
Faithfull 10-inch Tailor Shears
Offered by Runners Request

4.0 out of 5 stars blah blah blah 4 stars, 15 Jan. 2014
blah blah just want to give a star rating not write chapter and verse oh for the love og dog what a waste of time trying to feed back on this proiduct was

Page: 1 | 2 | 3