Profile for anon > Reviews

anon

Body Positive Power: How to stop dieting, make peace with your body and live
Body Positive Power: How to stop dieting, make peace with your body and live

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome read, 12 Sept. 2017
What an awesome read! Megan has overcome so much, and she powerfully shares her strength and wisdom with us in this book. Well written and well researched, I found it enormously helpful and motivating in my own journey. I'm hoping some of her sparkle rubs off on me! Lucy x

Lies We Believe About God
Lies We Believe About God
by Wm. Paul Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Game changer, 3 April 2017
I have been searching for the answers this book provides. It will be challenging for some, but everyone is on an individual journey and for me it hit the spot. I'm so grateful!

The Goddess Revolution: Food and Body Freedom for Life
The Goddess Revolution: Food and Body Freedom for Life

2.0 out of 5 stars Great promise, but not for me because..., 10 Jan. 2017
I felt this book had such great promise, but there was a very confused message. Although at some times in the book Mel advises us to throw out all the rules, there were many times when she advises not to eat 'junk', and that it's ok as a little treat, but in general it is to be avoided. I'm recovering from anorexia, and it has been very important to me to embrace all foods - for pleasure and energy and nutrition - and not to label them good or bad. I really appreciated the messages about loving your body, but the rest of the book didn't resonate with me at all, as someone whose default position with food is to avoid it and need to be encouraged to eat. I'm sure it will work well for people with different issues with food though. Perhaps to be avoided if you have a tendency to restrict your food.

Aftershock
Aftershock
by Adrian Holloway

1.0 out of 5 stars An awful shock, 24 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Aftershock (Paperback)
I read this book a couple of years ago because I was interested in going to the Church in London where Adrian Holloway is part of the staff and I wanted to get a better insight into the theology the espouse. Even though I read the book a while ago, I still feel so strongly about it that I felt moved to write this now! The reviews were so good that I was excited to read the book. It was well written and accessible to the market it was trying to reach, which I assume is teenagers / young adults. Holloway sets out to refute all the usual arguments that Christianity is up against in an anecdotal way, and he makes persuasive points in favour of his faith. I found myself nodding in agreement during the main part of the book. However, I was totally 'shocked' by the ending of the book (maybe that was the point?). Without giving the game away, the author's aim is to terrify the reader into believing in a 'loving' God. Pascal's Wager has never held that much clout for me - such a disingenuous thing to base one's worldview and whole existence on: I'll bet God exists just so I can avoid possible eternal damnation because it's the safest option? Where is the genuine belief in that? I felt that was the ultimate message of the book, to terrify and bully impressionable young people into subscribing to a questionable belief (and no one can say Christianity isn't open to question). This book, along with other reasons, helped me to discard any faith I might have had and actually pushed me to investigate arguments on the other side of the coin, so I now call myself an atheist and I feel free and at peace. Interestingly, the 1 star reviews of Holloway's other book 'The Shock of Your Life' say the same thing as I'm saying here - but much more succinctly: the book is immoral! It is.