Profile for Alex Alvarez > Reviews

Water for Elephants
Water for Elephants
by Sara Gruen

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied my fantasy, 10 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Water for Elephants (Paperback)
I read "Water for Elephants" after reading "NEXUS: A Neo Novel" which is a deeply moving spiritual book. "Water for Elephants" fulfilled my childhood fantasies of running and joining the circus. I can vividly remember the day I went to my first circus with my dad as if it was yesterday ...I was only nine then and had heard so much about circuses.

Well when I got into my seat beside my father under the big tent, I was so excited with the magic and thrill of actually being in a circus. I was spellbound with each and every performance. The highlight for me was the lion-tamer...and I decided that's what I wanted to be. I wanted to join the circus when I grew up and tame lions. Of course, over time like many people I settled for a more practical route in life. Still the childhood excitement for the circus remains alive in my heart.

"Water for Elephants" made me feel as if I was actually at the circus behind-the-scenes experiencing everything. The characters, vocabulary and setting captured the essence of what I imagined a circus to be. I thank Sara Gruen for letting me safely satisfy my childhood fantasy in this book. Thank you very much!

The Celestine Prophecy
The Celestine Prophecy
by James Redfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Message for Now, 14 May 2007
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
THE CELESTINE PROPHECY was written ten years ago and it profoundly changed my life. THE TENTH INSIGHT offered further insights that I quickly absorbed into my being. Now in the new age that has dawned I'm excited about a new book that has arrived on the scene called NEXUS. As with THE CELESTINE PROPHECY, I find it difficult to describe this book because it's something you experience as you read it.

I think THE CELESTINE PROPHECY created the space for NEXUS. Even though it's subtitle is A NEO NOVEL, I credit James Redfield for creating the foundation for this type of spiritual adventure and NEXUS is making the ideas current for this age.

NEXUS is starting to spread among dedicated spiritual friends who want to find a new message of transformation. It looks at the highs and lows in our spiritual journey into peace, harmony, compassion and higher vibration.

We can all share in this transformational message and tell others about it too. Spiritually we are evolving and the message for each period is found in THE CELESTINE PROPHECY and NEXUS is now helping in our spiritual growth.

Namaste,

Alex

The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich
by Timothy Ferriss

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical Approach, 9 May 2007
Timothy Ferriss offers the possibly of a 4 hour work week. At first when I read the title, I thought this was ridiculous. How can anyone work only four hours? So I had to buy this book just to see what Mr. Ferriss proposed.

Well he is asking us to not just dream of getting a million but to live the lifestyle of a millionaire where we rise above boring tasks and learn to live a life that allows time for fun, leisure, travel and other pursuits instead of being chained to an office all day. So what is his principle?

Well it's based on the Pareto principle or the 80-20 rule, which states that 80 percent of the results come from 20 percent of the effort, so instead of working hard, you learn to work effectively. Steven Covey also delves into similar ideas in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

Covey encourages us to spend more time sharpening the saw because with sharp saw you can achieve more than working with a dull saw that yields minimal results even with great effort.

Ferriss gives a clear way to analyze where we can maximize our efforts and where we just waste time with needless tasks. For example, checking emails frequently is a low-priority activity and instead you may only need to check it once or twice a day. You can free your time to spend with people in both your personal and professional life.

Once you gain awareness into how to prioritize your activities, you can then eliminate the time-wasters and focus on the most effective use of your time. He recommends that you hire an assistant, find software or even outsource the activity and this a the controversial part of the book, since it gets into a number of ethical issues. Still I can appreciate his line of thinking that we can delegate the work in some way though I believe we must do so within clear ethical guidelines and with fair business practices.

I love this book for providing some sound advice on effective time-management strategies. I've also been reading "Nexus: A Neo Novel" and I recommend it for offering a powerful spiritual message of compassion and personal transformation. In "Nexus" Logan Andrews works hard to meet deadlines as a journalist but his emotional state leads to a breakdown. At a spiritual retreat, he is forced through many unusual experiences to re-evaluate his life. Both books are different and good in their own way.

Nexus: A Neo Novel: A Novel
Nexus: A Neo Novel: A Novel
by Deborah Morrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritually Uplifting Story of Transformation, 8 May 2007
Every once in a while you come across a book that resonates at a deeper soulful level. "Nexus: A Neo Novel" is one of those books that touches you through a spiritual journey of transformation of people in the book. Their transformation is an inner one at the level of their heart and psyche.

For Logan Andrews the transformation requires that he move from negative thoughts and emotions to positive ones. This task is fraught with difficulties, since even at a spiritual retreat intended to help people find the centre of their being called the Nexus, Logan is confronted with his greatest loss as he meets his ex, Sarah.

I really liked the sub-plot with Steven, an arrogant millionaire, who at first is irritating but in time he grows on you and becomes an endearing person. Steven believes that money is the answer to life's problems but has he lost his way?

Even though the writers of "Nexus" have their own unique voice, still this book reminds me of other visionary writers like James Redfield, Carlos Castaneda and Dan Millman. I highly recommend "Nexus" as a deeply moving experience of personal transformation whose message spiritual readers will most appreciate.