Profile for ChezNottm > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Unquiet Souls: a DI Gus McGuire case
Unquiet Souls: a DI Gus McGuire case

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my top 5 for 2016, 30 July 2016
What can I say about this book apart from it is an awesome debut thriller.

From the very first page the wonderful writing draws you in, and the multi-layered plot holds you captive right to the very end.

It is centred around the modern crime of child trafficking, but Liz doesn’t shy away from the subject matter, the details are not too graphic, and she covers it sensitively and very well. It is easy to see that she has done a lot of research on the subject.

Liz has created a gem of a detective in Gus McGuire. The subplot regarding the incident in his past that is still marring his present definitely adds to the appeal of the character, and I look forward to learning much more about him and his team throughout the series.

The Matchmaker is an extremely well-drawn out character whose evilness develops more and more throughout the book.

The pace never drags, and the tension is nicely built up in this well-crafted novel.

The setting is perfect, I really got a sense of multicultural Bradford. I would love to go to Mo’s SaMOsa’s.

This is a book to savour. There is so much in it, it is gripping with plenty of twists and turns. I absolutely loved it. One of my top five for this year.

The only downside is that Liz is still writing book 2 and I want to read it now!

My thanks to the author for this arc copy in return for an honest, unbiased review of this novel.

Watching Edie: The most unsettling psychological thriller you'll read this year
Watching Edie: The most unsettling psychological thriller you'll read this year

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book of 2016 so far, 28 July 2016
I loved, loved, loved this book. I thought it was extremely well written. The story is absolutely absorbing, horrifying, and heart rendering. The characters, especially the two main ones, are superb, very well developed, and extremely believable. The relationship between the two kept me gripped. I can assure you there is enough tension in this book to send your blood pressure soaring.

It is very cleverly written from two different perspectives, then and now. Then being from the socially inept, overweight Heather's view point, and now being from popular and good looking Edie's. Both girls belong to dysfunctional families and because of this they are drawn together, however, both their friendship, and they, begin to unwind when Edie finds a boyfriend, Connor.

Camilla Way had a knack of messing with my emotions like no other, I didn’t know who to believe in, and then came the ending.

If you want a book that will grip you from beginning to end, that will have you sitting on the edge of your chair and shouting out nooo, then this is the book for you. It could leave you feeling a little unsettled, but that’s the sign of a great psychological thriller.

An immensely satisfying read.

This is my favourite book of 2016 so far.

My thanks to netgalley and the publishers for my copy in return for an honest, unbiased review of this novel

I See You
I See You

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, 28 July 2016
This review is from: I See You (Kindle Edition)
I had eagerly awaited this book and was delighted when the publishers Little, Brown, asked me if I would like an advanced reader's copy.

I didn't know what to expect with this book. Clare Mackintosh's first book I Let You Go was so good that I wondered how she was going to top it. I was more than pleasantly surprised. I See You is different, it seems (to me) to be as much a police procedural, as a psychological thriller, and that pleased me enormously as I love police procedurals. It is just as good, if not better than I Let You Go, and shows what a versatile writer Clare is.

Zoe Walker is sitting on the tube on her way to work, when she spots a picture of herself in the classified section of a local paper. That in itself would be very alarming, but it is the type of ad that is most disturbing. Who placed the ad? and where did they get her picture? The more she thinks about it, the more paranoid Zoe gets. I don’t want to give any of the plot away, so I'm not going to say any more about the story, other than it just gets better and better.

The tension builds from the minute Zoe gets on the tube, and it doesn't let up. I was gripped by the story. It is one of those books that once you start it, you have to keep reading.

The events in this book are so utterly believable. I was left wondering what I would do if it happened to me, and that's the scary part, it could!

As I've come to expect of Clare, the characters are very well drawn out. I think I suspected all of them at one stage or another. Yes, it really is that kind of book, I was completely wrong footed from the get go.

After the wonderful twist in I Let You Go, I was expecting a huge twist in this one. This was probably a little more subtle, but I still never expected it.

Clare has just won the Theakston's Old Peculiar crime novel of the year award for I Let You Go, I think she will definitely be in the running next year for I See You.

Cartonnage Kit
Cartonnage Kit
by Heather Luke

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 1 July 2016
This review is from: Cartonnage Kit (Hardcover)
Full of great ideas

WHYTE LIES: A Serial Killer Thriller (DCI Whyte Crime Thriller Series Book 1)
WHYTE LIES: A Serial Killer Thriller (DCI Whyte Crime Thriller Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 1 July 2016
I had the privilege of being the first person to read this book, and in my opinion Whyte Lies is one of the best debut novels I've read in a long while.
Whyte Lies is a thriller about the murder of a family in Killarney National Park. Enter DCI Faith Whyte.

Faith Whyte is a detective I want to read more about. I really liked the way that Kate entwined flashbacks to Faith's past, and more especially her relationship with her father, within the story, but left just enough out to leave us wanting more. Faith is obviously hiding something and I need to find out what.

The plot is fast paced, and the narrative kept me absorbed. Kate, time and time again, wrong foots the reader, and raises the tension. It is a book that gripped me from the start, and I could not put it down until I reached the final page.

The setting is a perfect decoy for the horrific crimes that take place. Kate is obviously well acquainted with the area, she described it so well, I could really picture the lush greenery and beauty of the place.

Kate Acton is definitely one to watch out for in the future, I think she is a marvellous writer, and she can only get better.
I thoroughly recommend this novel. My thanks to the author for the arc of this novel in return for an honest review

As Black As Ebony (Snow White Trilogy)
As Black As Ebony (Snow White Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 May 2016
As Black As Ebony is the final book in the Snow White Trilogy. Lumikki Andersson is back in her apartment in Tampere, and now she has a boyfriend, Sampsa. She also has a stalker. Someone is sending her threatening letters. Could it be Blaze, the ex who Lumikki is having trouble forgetting, and who is now back on the scene? or could it be the laid back Sampsa? As the stalker gets closer, and closer, and Lumikki becomes more, and more paranoid, she must decide who to trust.

With this book, Simukka is back to the form she was in, in book one. Her writing is, once again, fabulous, and all the loose ends from the previous books are tied up. Her heroine is edgy, strong, and again finds herself in danger. Will she be able escape with her life this time, or is this the end for Lumikki.

I am extremely sad that this series has come to an end. The books are gripping, and kept me reading. Lumikki is a wonderful heroine, and I urge Salla Simukka to write more novels.

All in all, this is a great series, and one that I can thoroughly recommend. The only thing I would say is that the books must be read in order. A deserved 5 star read. I will certainly be looking out for more from this author.

Salla Simukka won the Topelius Prize, the oldest literary prize in Finland, for this series.

I would like to thank the publisher's Bonnier Zaffre for sending me an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

As White As Snow (Lumikki Andersson Book 2)
As White As Snow (Lumikki Andersson Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, 30 May 2016
The second book in the Snow White Trilogy sees Lumikki holidaying in Prague, She is sitting on a wall taking in the wonderful sights when she is approached by Lenka, a girl who claims to be her sister. Lumikki doesn't have a sister, but then she starts to remember things, and when she questions her family they begin to act very mysteriously. As with the first book, Lumikki is drawn into something dark and dangerous, but this time she is not alone.

It is in this second part of the trilogy that Lumikki's past start to unravel, and we begin to see the girl behind the enigma. Although this story was very good, it didn't grab me as much as As Red As Blood, the first book in the trilogy. The plot wasn't as good, and I quickly realised what was happening, or thought I did. The fabulous writing, and the wonderful character Limikki kept me reading, and I'm glad I did, the ending is superb. Again, I was left wanting to find out more about the enigma that is Lumikki. A 4 star read for me.

As Red As Blood (Lumikki Andersson Book 1)
As Red As Blood (Lumikki Andersson Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars No fairy story for Lumikki Andersson, 30 May 2016
This was my first foray into YA, and I think I have found a new favourite character in Lumikki Andersson.

When she stumbles on thousands of euro's drying in the darkroom at her high school She finds herself drawn into a deadly game, one that she never wanted to get into. She likes to be alone, she doesn't want to get involved in things that don't concern her, but purely by chance she finds herself in danger. The euro's she finds have been washed, judging from the smell, and the stains on them Lumikki thinks it's because they were covered in blood.

This first book in the series delivers a real punch, in more ways than one. It is beautifully written. Full of intrigue, it kept me guessing to the very end. Lumikki is a great character. I'm not surprised that she likes to be on her own, most of the other characters are in it for themselves, and untrustworthy, but that didn't stop me loving the book. With all the key ingredients expected in a crime novel, murder, mayhem, twists and turns, this novel doesn't disappoint. This was definitely a five star read for me.

I would like to thank the publisher's Bonnier Zaffre for the ARC given in return for an honest review.

Breaking Dead: A Dark, Gripping, Edge-of-Your-Seat Debut Thriller (The Sophie Kent series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 21 April 2016
Breaking Dead is the debut novel from Corrie Jackson and features Sophie Kent, an investigative journalist who is still coming to terms with the death of her brother.

During her investigations into the murder of a 14 year old boy she encounters Natalia, a Russian model. Natalia has a nasty bruise on her face and has obviously been the victim of violence. Natalia opens up to Sophie and tells her that she was raped. Before Natalia can disclose the name of her attacker she gets cold feet. Later that night Sophie receives a strange text directing her to the Rose Hotel. As she arrives she discovers that the body of a young woman has been found in one of the rooms. She is shocked to find out that it is Natalia. Sophie learns that hours earlier Natalia had attended a glitzy party at the hotel, to celebrate the start of London fashion week. Sophie is eager to discover what happened to the young model, and soon finds herself drawn in to the seedy world of the fashion industry.

Sophie is a great new character. She has many personal issues, not in the least the guilt she feels over her brothers death, but she is strong, and has that urge that all good reporters have, to root out a good story. Even if, by doing so, she puts herself in danger.

I particularly liked her relationship with DCI Sam Durand. I will be keen to see how it develops.

The story flows really well. The pace of the novel is good. The characters are very well drawn out. I would be interested to know if Corrie worked on any stories in the fashion industry during her time as a journalist because the setting is very realistic. I really enjoyed it.

It is a very good debut novel. I thoroughly recommend it, and am looking forward to the next in the series.

I would like to thank Bonnier Zaffre and the author for an advance review copy of this novel.

Spare Me the Truth: An explosive, high octane thriller (The Dan Forrester series)
by CJ Carver

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 11 April 2016
I usually take a step back from novels with the word spy in the blurb, espionage isn’t my genre of choice, but I may change my mind after reading this one.

The story is powerfully told from the viewpoint of three characters, Dan Forrester, Grace Reavey and Lucy Davies, and it works well. This fast paced thriller definitely left me wanting more.

I was right with each of them as they struggled to overcome their own demons, as well as battling to discover the truth that had brought them together.

I'm not going to say anything about the storyline because I don't want to give away any spoilers, but I will say that, for me, this book comes under the category of couldn't put it down. I was hooked from the start.

The plot left me guessing as the tension built throughout the book leading to an explosive climax.

CJ Carter has created some great characters I would love to see more of Dan Forrester and Lucy Davies.

I definitely recommend this novel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5