Profile for Miss Fusspot > Reviews

Content by Miss Fusspot

Miss Fusspot (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Lonely Planet Pocket Rome (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Pocket Rome (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant guide - perfect for short break., 10 Aug. 2017
Pretty much everything you need to know for a short break in Rome including a very useful map. Well-organised and written, with descriptions of areas and attractions which inform and amuse and give you a real feel for the place. Ideal size if you prefer to carry a smaller bag for immediate access to things/use pockets and don't want to have to put a (large/heavy) guide book in your rucksack. It also curtailed my pointless habit of spending forever poring over information about things instead of actually looking at stuff or making a decision about what to do next! This plus googlemaps got me everywhere I needed and wanted to go no problem. Highly recommended.

Becoming the Narcissist's Nightmare: How to Devalue and Discard the Narcissist While Supplying Yourself

1.0 out of 5 stars Good in some ways, but be careful....., 5 July 2017
I found this useful and informative in parts - the reviews more stars will tell you all about this - but in some ways it was very unhelpful to me. This was due to the general tone and the massive bias which comes from the author basing so much on her personal experience and the fact she is a long way into her recovery. It has helped me in some ways but made me feel worse in others.

As she says, she has read lots of literature on narcissists and trauma, has her own experiences, has run workshops and has read the stories of and spoken to a lot of people who have talked about their own experiences in relationships with narcissists. This means she has lots of valuable information and examples from reality, including of what can help, which is a good thing.

However, it is obvious from the repetitive, muddled nature of the book that she is not a professional writer and has not been supported by people who are, and I just felt myself get bogged down by her saying the same things in different ways over and over. The way she has put it all together also shows she does not understand all the scientific or psychological issues properly or how they are linked together and this is not helpful.

The worst thing though was that I found her constant repetitions about what narcissists 'do' to us re-traumatising - I was already nervous and scared by the way I had been treated and like the other person had all the power and I had none, and this just made me feel even worse. It was far from soothing and it would really help if she could tone down the ranting a bit!

And regardless of how 'false' the love given out to people by narcissists might be, it is real to the recipients, and dealing with this issue is a very important part of coming out of a relationship like this. The author may well have got over whatever positive feelings she had in these relationships a very long time ago, and that is great for her and obviously she has worked very hard to make a good life for herself, but for those of us for whom the wound is still fresh or who are still in these relationships, this is a major issue. Anger about how we are treated may help in some ways or in the short term, but without our tender feelings we cannot truly grieve and recover, and we will all have had tender feelings about our narcissistic partners at some point.

Also not everyone is going to write a book and get millions of hits on their blog! Good for Shahida for working so hard to get to where she is, but tbh how many of us are going to equal that? She's done it herself that's true - but not all of us can - and not all of us are going to have the motivation or opportunity to do all the things she suggests.

I guess these kind of issues with books are part of a general problem with people who have made it through blogging then written a book. Personal experiences are a great resource, but I am actually not sure how responsible it is for these books to get published - there are loads of self-published books which are misleading about what are basically health matters and even without my personal experience here, I find this worrying.

I liked Joseph Burgo's book 'The Narcissist that you know'. While it does not deal with narcissistic abuse as such, it approaches the topic responsibly, is professionally informed and properly written, and also explains why narcissists do what they do and how to deal with them - that their behaviour is to do with shame, and most of have our own shame and narcissism to face if we are ever going to be truly happy, functioning people in constructive adult relationships.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2017 4:39 PM BST

INFJ: Portrait of a Counselor (Portraits of the 16 Personality Types)
INFJ: Portrait of a Counselor (Portraits of the 16 Personality Types)

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not a BOOK!, 2 May 2016
14 pages long a complete waste of money, as someone else has already pointed out, a rehash of what's on the internet. Definitely not what I would call a BOOK!

Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You
by Richard O'Connor

3.0 out of 5 stars Thorough but too dense and a bit bullying in its tone, 2 April 2016
There is loads of useful information in here and if you understand it all and put it into practice I am sure you would stand an excellent chance of recovering from your depression! I have found some it very useful and made it part of my recovery plan, and the author obviously knows what he is talking about, both as a sufferer and a doctor and therapist.

However there are two things about it I found it hard to get past. One is how dense it is and lots of theory about things which might be fine if you have got a PhD but are a struggle for other people. The other thing is that while in some places this book sounds quite sympathetic, in others the tone of it when describing depressed people's habits sounds quite bullying to me. In the end this has just put me off using this book as much as I might, because (as the author says!) depressed people need understanding. Not to feel any more pushed and criticised than they already do, because they are doing it to themselves.

Perhaps I'm being oversensitive because I'm depressed but this is how it comes across to me, and it is not helpful. Perhaps if the book gets revised again he can tone it down a bit!

Finding Tipperary Mary
Finding Tipperary Mary
by Phyllis Whitsell

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really wonderful true story with so many incredible and touching events ..., 23 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Finding Tipperary Mary (Hardcover)
This is a really wonderful true story with so many incredible and touching events - it would make a great film. The phrase 'you could not make it up' springs to mind. You will be moved and gripped by this story, but it also broke my heart at times. At the same time there is so much optimism in the author's determination and kindness.

Phyllis who wrote the book has had so much to contend with in her life and it amazing what she has gone through and done. I don't want to spoil the story although it is so tempting to tell you what happened, I half wish I had known the main point of it right at the beginning but obviously you had to know what happened to her first. It is definitely a rewarding read.

The book paints a clear picture of everything that happened, I felt like I could almost imagine what Phyllis had experienced, especially all the things she went through alone and how difficult that must have been. All that while carrying on her normal life.

I was lucky enough to meet Phyllis briefly at an event held when the book was launched, and at the time I hadn't read it. I half wish I had because it would be wonderful to talk to her about everything. But on the other hand I got a snapshot of who she is now without knowing all the pain she had been through, and she is such a bubbly, sociable lady you would never guess her history. Aren't people amazing sometimes.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2017 10:36 AM GMT

5 Star Calculator Desktop Battery/Solar-power 10 Digit 3 Key Memory Ref DT10D
5 Star Calculator Desktop Battery/Solar-power 10 Digit 3 Key Memory Ref DT10D
Offered by Choice Stationery Supplies Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after three months., 12 Jun. 2015
Stopped working after three months - you couldn't see the numbers on the screen.

Didn't make any difference how much solar input you gave it.

Spent ages on the amazon website trying to work out how to return it as faulty, but just got told it was too late. Surely it isn't too late if it doesn't work any more!!

The Hunt [Blu-ray]
The Hunt [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Mads Mikkelsen

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing and dull., 6 May 2015
This review is from: The Hunt [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This a depressing, predictable film with little to recommend it even to a hardened fan of dingey Nordic dramas such as myself. The Killing? Bring it on. The Bridge? Awesome nonsense. The Hunt? Er....

Also don't go imagining from the name of the film and the photo on the cover of Mads with a shotgun that it is going to be exciting or about blokes running about cos it isn't.

If the script had been written more thoughtfully maybe something better could have come out of the story idea. The performances were good, but there isn't much point in that when the story is rubbish.

And why does Mads Mikkelsen look like a depressing Brian Cox? Most offputting.

Skagen Women's Watch 358XSRM
Skagen Women's Watch 358XSRM

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, elegant and modern - love it., 18 Sept. 2014
A stylish, elegant and modern watch just right for ladies who don't like too much bling.

The little Swarovski crystals at each number are just the perfect amount of decoration.

It has a clever snappy strap and provided you do it up properly it would never come off! Bit fiddly to adjust but not complaining.

Oh yeah it tells the time too :)

JML ORIGINAL SUPER MOP PRO AS SEEN ON TV NEW
JML ORIGINAL SUPER MOP PRO AS SEEN ON TV NEW

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous mop, 18 Sept. 2014
My husband who is in charge of mopping the floor says this thing is 'marvellous' and it is not like him to get excited about a mop!!

It cleans the floor very well and mops up the water afterwards, and it is not expensive. What more could you want...

Belardo Minoa 255529 Folding Table Round 70 cm
Belardo Minoa 255529 Folding Table Round 70 cm

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine apart from the wobbly leg, 18 Sept. 2014
This is decent value apart from the fact it has one leg to short so we have to put a coaster under it! Obviously we could have sent it back but that is hassle with a big thing like a table. The wood is quite rough and I don't know if this is normal as I have never had anything made of eucalyptus wood before. It is a good size and quite attractive, and folds in a good way so you can still stand it up even when folded. It is not too heavy either. I'm pretty happy with it considering its got one wobbly leg!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4