Profile for Homeburd > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Betrayals: The Richard & Judy Book Club Pick 2017
The Betrayals: The Richard & Judy Book Club Pick 2017
by Fiona Neill

4.0 out of 5 stars There are four sides to this story. Who will you believe?, 22 Sept. 2017
I’m reminded of a former colleague who always said ‘There’s two sides to every story and the truth is somewhere in the middle’. Times that by two and that’s very much what we had here. With the narrative switching between Daisy, Max, Rosie and Nick it was easy for the author to manipulate the reader into believing each of them in turn. Of all the characters, Daisy definitely made the biggest impression and I kind of want to know that she is doing ok now (beyond the end of the book). It’s actually only now that I’ve finished reading and can reflect on the book as a whole that I appreciate just how much was covered in terms of family dynamics and real life issues. This would be perfect for a book club discussion.

I received a copy of The Betrayals via NetGalley and my thanks to Michael Joseph for that.

I Am Watching You
I Am Watching You

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 13 Sept. 2017
This review is from: I Am Watching You (Kindle Edition)
I thought this was a great read. It was obviously important to my enjoyment that I liked how Ella sounded as her chapters were in first person and I can sometimes struggle with that. The private investigator was an interesting character and one that I would be happy to see return in future work. I read this is the course of a day and when I finished it I felt like I wanted to read it again to see if there were clues there that I missed the first time through. Highly recommended.

The New Mrs D: An Hilarious, Uplifting, Anti-Romantic Comedy
The New Mrs D: An Hilarious, Uplifting, Anti-Romantic Comedy

4.0 out of 5 stars A good beach read, 13 Sept. 2017
I was looking for something lighthearted to read to distract me from real world issues and this filled that need. I can't say I found it 'hilarious' but I do struggle with a lot of comedy so this is not unusual for me. This would be good for reading on vacation.

The Fact of a Body: A Gripping True Crime Murder Investigation
The Fact of a Body: A Gripping True Crime Murder Investigation

4.0 out of 5 stars A tough one to read, 9 Sept. 2017
I don't usually read true crime and very rarely memoirs so I have no idea how I came to choose this book to read. There is a lot of repetition as the author weaves the murder story with her own life story and by 70% in I had really had enough. I did read to the finish but it was a struggle for me. This is no reflection of the quality of the writing but rather the subject matter. Definitely one for true crime fans I would say.

Best Day Ever: A gripping psychological thriller with a twist you won't see coming!

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy jerk alert!, 7 Sept. 2017
Full marks to the author Kaira Rouda for her creation of Paul Strom, a narrator like few others. He was such a jerk and I did chide myself for reacting so extremely to a fictional character but just the thought of his 'rectangle grin' and 'signature wink' gives me the creeps. I was pretty sure and definitely hoping that he would get his comeuppance and I had to finish the book to find out.

I received a copy of Best Day Ever via NetGalley and my thanks to the publishers HQ for that

When It Rains: The bittersweet romance you won't want to miss
When It Rains: The bittersweet romance you won't want to miss

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely touches your heart, 6 Sept. 2017
This is definitely one of those books that touches your heart and takes you on the sad/happy rollercoaster. Essentially it's the stories of Annie and her granddaughter Holly and begins, as outlined in the blurb, when Annie is dying. Annie's story is revealed by the reading of a written memoir and my what a story that is. I was definitely transported to an earlier era and walking among those characters.
I felt a bit daunted about reviewing this as the majority of reviews are 5 star and it didn't quite reach that benchmark for me. I'm mindful of spoilers but I struggle to understand why Annie had revealed so little of her life to the grandchildren and why they don't seem to have questioned it. Maybe this is with the wisdom of hindsight from someone who lost my grandparents early in my life and have lots I would like to ask them.
There were a few typos that should really have been picked up and, if I'm reading it right, we had characters looking for something that they didn't actually know existed until a subsequent chapter.

All that said this is a lovely read and it wouldn't surprise me to see it adapted for tv or a movie.

The Text
The Text

4.0 out of 5 stars Good short story, 6 Sept. 2017
This review is from: The Text (Kindle Edition)
Well it may be short but the author managed to fit a lot into this one. The more short stories I read, I appreciate that they are great as a way of sampling an author's work before committing to a full novel. I enjoyed the story here and the style of the writing so I will be looking for other work by Claire Douglas.

Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries Book 1)
Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow paced, atmospheric, 5 Sept. 2017
I was really drawn to this book by the blurb, a detective story set in Edinburgh at the end of the 19th century. Murders to be solved without all the gadgets and gizmos of modern crime scene investigation and no DNA!! I really wanted to like Detective Inspector Hamilton and sometimes I did, but he failed my 'would I like to be stuck in a lift with this person' test with his frequent Shakespeare quotes. I did rather enjoy the cheeky chappy that was the urchin Derek McNair. I expected a slow pace but I'm sorry to say I found this dragged and I didn't get the build of tension that I was expecting.
I received an ARC of Edinburgh Twilight via NetGalley and my thanks to the publishers Thomas & Mercer for that.

Perfect Imperfections
Perfect Imperfections

3.0 out of 5 stars A sweet romance, 2 Sept. 2017
As a romance/chick lit novel I think this would be a perfect holiday read and you could really lose yourself in the descriptions of South Africa. The mystery/suspense element of the story I didn't feel worked quite so well and the reveal felt a bit rushed. This is definitely a sweet story with characters who just love surprises but sadly a bit too sweet for my palate.

I received a copy of Perfect Imperfections via THE Book Club on Facebook and my thanks to the author Taryn Leigh for that.

The Limehouse Golem
The Limehouse Golem
by Peter Ackroyd

4.0 out of 5 stars Very atmospheric, 31 Aug. 2017
This review is from: The Limehouse Golem (Paperback)
When the opening chapter relates the hanging of 31 year old Elizabeth Cree, you can't help but want to know the events that led up to it. I liked the inclusion of the extracts from her trial and her husband's diary. Overall I enjoyed the story but I have to say that there were parts of the narrative that just didn't hold my attention. It was very easy to picture the music hall scenes and the London street life and I can understand why it has been made into a movie (and I plan on seeing it).

I received a copy of The Limehouse Golem via NetGalley and my thanks to Vintage for that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20