Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for L. Hjorth > Reviews

Content by L. Hjorth

L. Hjorth (Denmark)

Page: 1 | 2
Boys & Girls (Bonus Tracks) [VINYL]
Boys & Girls (Bonus Tracks) [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl hifi delity, 2 May 2012
Since I'm a grown man (not young), I haven't heard about all the hype around this new band. I just heard a song on my car radio, liked it and went on the web to listen to more. Liked that too and bought the LP. The music style is not new too me. This is good old rock like you would find in the '70's. The really good thing about it is the sound production. This is really good hi-fi sound: Good headroom, powerfull dynamics and no sibilance on the singers voice. Given this is music mainly aimed for a younger audience than me, it is great too hear that they had not surrendered to the Loudness War.

super biochemical Aquarium sponge filter SF-104
super biochemical Aquarium sponge filter SF-104
Offered by All Pond Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and effective, 27 April 2012
Length:: 0:43 Mins

I use 3 filters in my 250 Liters tank. They can run two months before I need to rinse the sponges in aquarium water. I use air stones in the filters to get fine noise free bobbels. I had to remove some plastic bits in the black tube ends to get the airstone in place. It was a bit fiddly but possible and the filter works just as well after the modification. It would be better if they had made space for an aitstone, because if you run the filters without airstones, they make big bobbels that are really noisey. I still give the filter 5 stars for the fuss free efficiency.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2015 9:14 AM GMT

Hunky Dory [VINYL]
Hunky Dory [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't know it, get to know it, 13 April 2012
This review is from: Hunky Dory [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I just had "Hunky Dory" spinning on my TT. I have listened to this album for more than 20 years and it still moves me. I discovered the early Bowie work at my 20's and found it really special (still do). And I think young people today would get a kick out of this album or CD / download too. Give it a listen, "Hunky Dory" is a timeless musical experience in my book. If you like it, then try Space Oddity next

Aelita [VINYL]
Aelita [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Bass, Bass and more bass, 13 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Aelita [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Ambient in a very relaxing way and the bassline certinally gives my sub a run for the money... Nice! The sound recording is really good too, hifi freaks like me care about that. What can I say...I just love this record!Sweet JonesPortisheadShapesOrganikMiles GurtuTrippin

No Limit [VINYL]
No Limit [VINYL]
Offered by HURRICANE RECORDS BERLIN_1

5.0 out of 5 stars Smokin' !, 11 May 2011
This review is from: No Limit [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I was listing to the internet radio one day while working at my computer, and they played a cover version of "Rita-San". A quick web search, and the original album track came up: "Art Pepper- No limit". I didn't know anything about Art Pepper, other that I heard the name before. I listened to "No Limit" at some web streaming and thought it was interesting enough to buy the LP. Now I own it and have listened to it a couple of times. I could write a lot of fancy words about the music... Or I could just say this: Wow! These guys are cooking! If your'e in to jazz, take a listen. I'm sure you'll dig it. It's just Smokin' hot jazz in every groove.

GONE: THE PROMISES OF YESTERDAY [VINYL]
GONE: THE PROMISES OF YESTERDAY [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky enjoyment., 11 Jan. 2011
An LP release pressed from an over 30 year old partly damaged master tape found in a moist cellar? I must admit I was a bit reluctant to press the "buy button", because the chance were that someone has been too eager to get this music out, and therefore maybe was willing to compromise with the sound quality of the old tapes. But the music samples I could hear online were enough to make me take a change. Let me start with the music. It's funk, and the sound is very typical for the time; recorded in the early `70s and it really shows. It's not a timeless classic but a musical fragment of its time. So I have to tune myself in to the feeling and excitement for the new possibilities a `70s sound studio had to offer. They work with echo and stereo effects quite a lot sometimes. In other words, it's not an LP I put on when I want some funk, it's an LP I put on when I want some typical `70s funk. And funk it is, cool funk that has the bloated electric bass, the tight drums, electric organ and a strong female voice and a good male voice on the last track. I didn't knew anything about "24 Carat Black" before this release. But you can hear that the right people met at the right time in that studio and made a special recording. The music has nerve and feeling and a purely excitement for the project that is very enjoyable to listen too. If you're in to funk, then you will like this record. It's not outstanding but quite good and offers you a little travel back in time too with its very distinctive `70s sound. Witch get's me back to the sound quality of the recording itself. I have read that they were only able to save some of the tape. They saved the right parts, because the sound quality on the LP is quite good: clean crisp treble, a tight bass, good middle area with fine details and a good stereo perspective that is free of the speakers. I have better recordings from the `60s and `70s and some outstanding ones as well, but "Gone - The Promises of Yesterday" meets the average production standard of the time, which is good enough the make you focus on what's important; the music."Gone - The Promises of Yesterday" will never be one of my all time favorites, but a record I'll pull out of the collection once in a while for some funky enjoyment.

Till The Sun Turns Black [VINYL]
Till The Sun Turns Black [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasent music - Great recording, 25 Nov. 2010
If I had a penny for every "sing-a-song-writer" wannabe there is, I would be loaded. Thank God for the real ones, because I just love the style when it's done right. And "Till the sun turns black" is just that: Pleasent music with plenty of great moments, a strong voice with lots of personallty that really comes out of the grooves due to the great recording on 180 gr vinyl. They're still around, those producers who makes good recordings for serious listning on good hi-fi-turntabels/CD players. If you're in to good music, you'll like it, if you're allso into hi-fi, you'll love it.

Your Songs [VINYL]
Your Songs [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars He sings better than Frank, 23 May 2010
This review is from: Your Songs [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I bought this album as a present to my better half. I like it too as well, and I must say that I personally think he sings the Sinatra song better than Frank did. It's a pleasent album that makes you in a good mood. An in comes in 180 gr. vinyl in quality innersleeves, no flimsy cheap paper here.

Walk The Nile [VINYL]
Walk The Nile [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Uptempo jazzfusion, 23 May 2010
This review is from: Walk The Nile [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Walk the Nile is jazz fusion with focus on the ever busy drummer and the various organs and synthesizers. But let's not forget the ever cool and deep bass that underlines the music. Most of the album is uptempo and a bit heavy, and I like that. It avoids to get monotone due to the last track "Walk the Nile" on side A and the second track "Habanera rocket" on side B. The two tracks are more slow and a bit dark in a really cool way. If you like Medeski Martin and Wood, Mahogany Frog and Billy Cobman's drum playing in Mahavishnu Orchestra, I'm sure you will dig the "Walk the Nile" album as well.

PROJECT SPEED BOX Mk2 TURNTABLE ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL (BLACK)
PROJECT SPEED BOX Mk2 TURNTABLE ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL (BLACK)

5.0 out of 5 stars worth every penny, 9 May 2010
As I described in my Debut III review, the Pro-ject Debut III motor's stability is rock solid. I even tested it with a turntable strobe, and the speed is 100 % accurate. But on lots of forums I could read that the Speed Box II would give a significant sonic improvement to the pro-ject turntables in generel (not all Pro-ject TT can use it). So I decided to spend the money on this final upgrade on my Debut. I bought mine online from Germany because the wall sockets are the same as in Denmark, but the price was the same as on amazon.uk. I have listened to different music styles on my Debut III / Speed Box II combo for a week now, and I can honestly say that the Speed Box II is worth every penny. It really is all what it's made out to be. The sound is more tight and full and the treble is more warm and rich. It's not just a small sonic upgrade, it really is a significant sonic improvement. For those who allso got 45 rpm records, the convenience of switching speed with out moving the platter and belt is also worth to mention. But even if You, like me, only got 33 rpm records, this affordable upgrade is a must for the pro-ject turntables.
Comment Comment | Permalink