Profile for Graham > Reviews

Content by Graham

Graham (West Midlands, UK)

Dial M For Merde
Dial M For Merde
by Stephen Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 28 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Dial M For Merde (Paperback)
Having read and enjoyed the first three books in the series, this one was no disappointment.

Like other reviewers, I think getting our favourite characters back onto French soil is a welcome return to form (the previous book is set in the USA). The plot is light and moves quickly but never takes itself too seriously. It's well written and even managed to make me laugh out loud a few times. I'm usually quite good at predicting the twists in books and films, but in this case I really didn't see them coming so full marks for that.

A good book to read when you're glum. It certainly cheered me up anyway.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite remarkable, 28 Mar. 2011
These boots are quite remarkable for the price. I tested them out for a week in Sweden and they performed admirably. They are extremely comfortable and managed to keep my feet warm and dry in temperatures around -15. They are perfectly snow resistant so trudging through ankle-deep snow is certainly an option.

They have only one fastening so I was worried that they might not stay on my feet, but they are so light and flexible that this was not a problem. The very pleasant furry lining may help. If you're between sizes, it might be worth buying the smaller one, just for the peace of mind when wading through deep drifts.

Be aware that the soles are flat with no arch support so they're not designed for very long treks, but I found walks of an hour or so very comfortable. I can't wait for an excuse to wear them again!

Waiting
Waiting
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding....literally, 19 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Waiting (Audio CD)
Well it's a year on and another UK dweller has got round to watching Crazy Beautiful and discovered Maren Ord as a result. She stands out as by far the best thing in the film (which has a very decent soundtrack anyway). On this album, all of the tracks seem to feature whatever magic quality it is that caused myself and the two fellows below to sit and stare at the credits looking for the artist who sang 'Perfect'. Not a dud track on here, emotive, heartfelt, light on the ears....absolutely brilliant.

The Pirate Uncle: Complete & Unabridged
The Pirate Uncle: Complete & Unabridged
by Margaret Mabyh
Edition: Audio Cassette

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable Children's Story, 9 Dec. 2004
It is clear that the author and narrator make a fantastic duo, and this story only goes to prove this further.
Two children are sent to live with a rather mysterious uncle who they've never met (for reasons I can no longer remember!) but soon find that mystery and excitement give way to bordom as the summer draws on. Taxed with entertaining them, the uncle sets them wonderfully engaging tasks to complete, which slowly begin to reveal many interesting things to the inquisitive children. And don't worry, all of the instantly loveable characters wind there way to a happy ending, with a twist or two along the way to keep things interesting!
I've been listening to this since I was little and have always loved it. My parents used it as an incredibly effective method to keep me quiet on long car jounreys. Now 19 it's still thoroughly entertaining, and the story has enough about it to entertain all age groups.....getting it back from the parents will be the new challenge! Quick, buy it while it's still available!

The Blood-and-thunder Adventure on Hurricane Peak: Complete & Unabridged
The Blood-and-thunder Adventure on Hurricane Peak: Complete & Unabridged
by Margaret Mabyh
Edition: Audio Cassette

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Fails to Entertain, 8 Dec. 2004
This wonderful audio book is brilliantly read by Richard Mitchley, who really does a fantastic job in bringing all the characters to life. This will entertain both adults and children and was frequently used by my parents as a rather effective method of getting me to bed when I was little. Now 19, these tapes still make me laugh. The story is simple and engaging, with enough twists along the way to keep everyone interested. I couldn't recommend anything any higher than this. Buy it while you can still find it!

A Good Year
A Good Year
by Peter Mayle

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great work from Mayle, 30 Aug. 2004
This review is from: A Good Year (Hardcover)
I think it's going to be incredibly difficult for Mayle to better Hotel Pastis, but this is definitely a book along similar lines. I've been inspired to comment because at present I can only see bad reviews on this page, which simply don't do justice to this great read.
I think this is Mayle's fourth fiction, following Hotel Pastis, Anything Considered and Chasing Cézanne, and I was very glad to see he's still writing in 2004. If you've read them all, it is easy to see the similarities between the characters in each story. There's always the hard-done-by English ex-pat, the love interest, usually a housekeeper or similar, a life-long friend and a handful of other rogues along for the journey. This story is no different, only that the base this time is a vinyard, rather than a hotel, an apartment or flat in Monte Carlo. The tale is primed, as usual, with the twists and turns we've come to expect from Mayle, uncovering criminal activity that somehow bumbles into them, and the ensuing chase that always proves to be amusing.
All in all, this is definitely worth buying if your're looking for a light, sweet, and thoroughly amusing tale that loves to twist and keep you on your toes. It might do a little for your french too!