Profile for Dennis Sullivan > Reviews

The Human League, The Greatest Hits
The Human League, The Greatest Hits
Offered by A2Z Entertains

4.0 out of 5 stars new wave early 80s, 18 July 2010
Sound quality is excellent. I find that the lesser known songs are done very well so I guess that as I am older, I am a better listener. The past popular songs are all here. Overall, a very good CD for the price and a very good addition. The music- punk, new wave, of 70s-80s- is still the most exciting of the past 45 years and Human League was part of that- very unique sound and is still very upbeat and listenable. I rated it 4 because of words on some songs.

Best Punk Album in The World...Ever
Best Punk Album in The World...Ever

5.0 out of 5 stars 70-80s punk, 17 July 2010
I enjoy this double CD more with each litening. In 70s-80s heard most songs and so this is a good reminder.
I have always been focused on words with background driving beat.
There are so many good songs and some that are mediocre, but this double album is a real bargain, and I can say that I really enjoy most of it- brings back better memories as many of us recall how terrible music was before punk came on scene. We had great harmonies of 50s, 60s singers, then I had to put up with a lot of Hippy music, then prog rock, and of course, I couldn't stand disco and heavy metal, so for me this is great stuff.
It is hard anymore to know what is going on in music world as radio stuff is mass media garbage, but we do have bands with great words and driving instrumental work- Dropkick Murphys, Street Dogs, Rancid, Casualties, and so many more that I have never heard and will never be exposed to. Even as "old man" I still like this stuff.
Most songs on this double CD are from England but they are very good as the British way of speaking is a natural for punk, but Ramones Sheena is thrown in perfectly.

Vanishing Ireland: Further Chronicles of a Disappearing World
Vanishing Ireland: Further Chronicles of a Disappearing World
by Turtle Bunbury

5.0 out of 5 stars Ireland's heritage, 11 Jun. 2010
Vanishing Ireland will make you happy. Layout of book is superb: large size, excellent paper, but above all, brilliant color. But the heart of the book is in its characters. The people are old but wise and knowledgeable. They symbolize simple times. They all seem to have good hearts and are content with the simplicity of their lives and the lack of material goods. They have their faults but their faces reveal their simplicity and a happiness that radiates on their faces.
You can learn a lot from these people. They know of a world where people visited each other on a frequent basis, where people got on their bicycles to go places.
I am 59 and do not like what life has turned into. This book allows me to escape this modern world of stress and congestion.
If you want to buy a very good item that will help your soul, or to get good Christmas or birthday presents, then get this book. It is inexpensive- a very good deal. I learned of this book when looking at magazine Ireland of the Welcomes. I will refer to this book again and again. It will make you happy.