Profile for Elle B Reader > Reviews

Scrap Quilts
Scrap Quilts
by Judy Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, I bought two!, 1 July 2015
This review is from: Scrap Quilts (Paperback)
I love this book, this is an early one, 1985 print, so each of these quilts has templates. There are many wonderful patterns in here, and if you have some experience it isn't hard to work out how to use a ruler and rotary cutter for many of the blocks.
These are scrap quilts and I enjoy using templates, and cutting up small oddments of fabrics left over from other quilts, slower, but there's a great deal of pleasure from doing some slow cutting and sewing, one block at a time. It still gets made. There's some applique in here too, a lovely border around a traditional Arrowroot block, and a wreath. The back section contains diagrams of many traditional blocks, in varying sizes with templates to make each of them although no completed quilts, or instructions, are given.
The first copy I bought (in 2012) was previously owned by someone with a fetish for blue highlighter - although the patterns themselves weren't affected, the mess all over the written section really annoyed me. I've just bought a second copy, this time it's a 1989 reprint, in good clean condition and I absolutely love it. I have hundreds of books, this is the only quilting book I've bought twice, that's how highly I rate this.

Black Gold Quilting Betweens Needles-Size 9/12 6/Pkg
Black Gold Quilting Betweens Needles-Size 9/12 6/Pkg
Offered by M&S SEWING MACHINES

5.0 out of 5 stars Sewing for pleasure, 21 Jun. 2015
The Black Gold needles are exceptionally good. I tend to bend needles (eat your heart out Uri) and they soon need replacing. These are much stronger and smoother and make hand quilting even more of a pleasure. I also have the sharps and applique needles, just as wonderful. I don't pay more than £3.75 for each pack,(obviously not bought from this seller).

Castorland Bridge Cottage Jigsaw (500-Piece)
Castorland Bridge Cottage Jigsaw (500-Piece)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality puzzle, 3 Jun. 2015
First one by this brand for me. It's made from thin hard card, much firmer than the ones made by King. It fits together very well, no doubts as to whether you have the right piece (like the Ravensburger ones and unlike some of the Gibson puzzles) and a delight to complete. I have another 500 and 2 x 2000 ones to do now, that's how much I enjoyed this one. I have to admit that I prefer the thin pieces to the chunky ones so many puzzles are now made from, this card is strong enough not to bend easily, and I'm happy with my purchase.

Unmistakably French
Unmistakably French
by Betty Lou Phillips

2.0 out of 5 stars Unmistakably American, 18 May 2015
This review is from: Unmistakably French (Hardcover)
American designers idea of what French style is. Overdone, overstuffed and lacking in the natural elegance of true French style.

Paper-pieced Mini Quilts (That Patchwork Place)
Paper-pieced Mini Quilts (That Patchwork Place)
by Wendy Vosters

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring, 3 May 2015
Nothing new in here, you can see the quilts on Martingale's web site, certainly not worth paying an outrageous prices for.

Birds Of A feather [1000 Piece Jigsaw]
Birds Of A feather [1000 Piece Jigsaw]
Offered by Film Frenzy Fast Delivery - New Items are Factory Sealed

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious mixture, 16 Mar. 2015
Great quality as usual, and strangely shaped pieces (again, as usual) coupled with fabulous colours, a very beautiful composition of lovely items made for an enjoyable puzzle. We found the 1000 pieces more easy to identify than those in the 500 ones we have (possibly due to the different texture and colour range of the subjects), but one difficulty is sorting them, no way can you put like sizes or shapes together, it's just one glorious mixture - just adds to the fun. This is a lovely puzzle, it's also a good introduction to this brand's puzzles.

King Allgau Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)
King Allgau Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a quick fix, 16 Mar. 2015
I loved this jigsaw. King puzzles don't have pieces made from thick cardstock, but they're strong enough, ours have never bent out of shape nor split off from the top, so we're happy with them. This puzzle was very satisfying. There are some simple parts such as along the bottom three rows, some more difficult ones such as the buidings, but the truly challenging ones are the trees - very confusing in parts and we had to move quite a few when we found we couldn't get a good fit in other places. Some pieces do fit for size (but not for pattern when you look closely) into the wrong area, but you find this out when you can't complete somewhere else, we like this aspect, makes for a real puzzle. So far this is the most difficult of the King puzzles for us, but we enjoyed it.

Puss in Books Jigsaw Puzzle (1000-Piece)
Puss in Books Jigsaw Puzzle (1000-Piece)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing - pieces missing, 16 Feb. 2015
The puzzle I bought had several pieces missing, I contacted Gibsons (as they say to do) and they said the puzzle would be replaced within 28 days. The replacement has now arrived and we are currently doing this one and hoping that it's all there. I'll add to this review one way or the other when the puzzle is finished. UPDATE 4th March The replacement puzzle has been completed. The shapes were cut totally differently to the first puzzle, and I actually enjoyed making the first one more (allowing for the missing pieces that is), that said, this one is complete. I can't honestly say I enjoyed doing it again, but that's because each time I couldn't find a piece I kept thinking it wasn't there at all, and this ruined it for me. Provided you receive one with all the pieces I think you'll find it enjoyable, the pieces are sturdy and fit well, and the picture quality is excellent.

500 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle - Sure as Sunrise "NEW JULY 2014"
500 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle - Sure as Sunrise "NEW JULY 2014"
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, 23 Jan. 2015
Very unusual shaped pieces make this a real challenge. The quality is good but if you like your puzzles made with conventional shapes then you may want to avoid this brand. I enjoy them, they take longer than usual for a 500 piece puzzle and it's fun when you see the shape of the piece you're looking for - not at all what you thought. If you haven't tried these puzzles give them a go - as a family we love them. They aren't really difficult and make a pleasant change.

500 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle - Going To Town "NEW JULY 2014"
500 Piece Jigsaw Puzzle - Going To Town "NEW JULY 2014"
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, 23 Jan. 2015
Good quality pieces, cut into the strangest shapes imaginable. I found it impossible to sort these into shapes - or even colours - they all had to stay mixed. Putting the pieces together was a real challenge, never quite sure what to look for, nonetheless I found it enjoyable. If you prefer your pieces to be the usual shapes (i.e. two bobbles two holes etc) avoid this brand, the shapes are weird. Also I bought it cheaper elsewhere.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15