Profile for Faith > Reviews

Sushi for Beginners
Sushi for Beginners
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars entertraining most of the time, 21 Aug. 2005
Well, yet an other Keyes I can say again. Keyes is entertraining most of the time, but sometimes she annoys me.
As for "Sushi..." Its different from the other Keyes Ive read. This time there is three maincharacters instead one. They are:
Lisa, magazine editor from London sent to Dublin to start a new young woman's mag. Shes bossy and obsessed with her work. Pretty different from other Keyes-characters, since she atleat seams confident. However her marrige is a catastrophe, but she cant forget about Oliver who is becomind her ex-husband.
Ashling, the typicl MK-charcter with low selfesteem and suffering of depression. First I hated her because she was so stupid, but in the end of the book she was the charcter with the best development.
Clodagh, homemother tired of her husband and doing nothing expect being home. In the begining she seamed to be the most interesting character, but since she started having an affair she turned out to be a total idiot.
Hmm, what the book really is about is searching for happiness and the kind of life that is right for you. The title Sushi for beginners somehow refers to that, but it isnt immediatly very clear for me. Its something about trying new different things to find whats right for you. Yeah, thats really it, so it is a very good title. It easily gets ones attention too, since atleas I dindn know what sushi actually was when I started to read the book.
My official rating for this book is 3½ even tou thats not possible. Sushi isnt as good as some other MK-books, but it actually is a bit more than silly entertrainment.

Rachel's Holiday
Rachel's Holiday

4.0 out of 5 stars How I discovered Marian Keyes..., 21 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Rachel's Holiday (Paperback)
First I thought Rachel's Holiday was a shallow book, because Rachel was so shallow in the beginning of the book. Just like an other Bridget Jones, just that she takes drugs on top of everything else. That is, she was a woman who cared about nothing but men and her looks.
Well, but Marian Keyes sertainly manged to get some deaph in her book. The book developed as Rachel developed. In the beginning I thought just like Rachel that the putting of her in a rehab center was some kinda mistake. I thought her problems werent very serious. Setainly they were.
I think Keyes really managed to describe drug adiction, its reasons and recovering from it. The whole process, of which I definitlely only had a vague idea.
Marian Keyes isnt crap really! I really wanna read more about Rachel and her sisters.

Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married
Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration for depression, 21 Aug. 2005
Typical Keyes again. Low selfesteem, depression... Lucy Sullivan could well be one og the Walsh girls.
The book actually inspired me to be depressed and go and buy lots of chocolate and rent a stupid film.
But okay, I cant deny anything Keyes writes is entertaining.

Under the Duvet
Under the Duvet

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and chatty, 21 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Under the Duvet (Hardcover)
Under the Duvet is a collection of "things" (dont know what to call 'em) that marian Keyes has written for Irish newspapers/magazines. She writes about funny eisodes in her life and about her thoughts on current issues. U get a really good picture of what kind of person MK is. She is really much like many of her charcters. MK says that none of her characters are real persons, but made up by combining up to 100 persons MK har met or something. What is clear from Under the Duvet is that all MK's characters have something of MK herself in them. Also obviously she takes a lot of the stuff she writes about from her own life.
So Under the Duvet is a really great book. It might be even more entertarining than MK's novells, because its definitely never boring. I coudnt stop readin g, cos it was so funny. I would indeed have liked to read more...
What else I want to say about MK is that she is just so down to earth and great. And under humor there is something serious too.

Last Chance Saloon
Last Chance Saloon
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Kinda more serious Marian Keyes, 21 Aug. 2005
Just "out of the book"! Just finished in other words. Last Chance Saloon really captured me. Definitley better than the Marian Keyes I've read lately (that is Lucy Sullivan ans Sushi). First Last Chance Saloon also seamed just too much like them. Almost boring to read about the same things (low selfesteem etc) again. But ofcourse MK is ALWAYS entertraining.
But Last Chance Saloon is actually different. Kinda more serious. The message is that we shouldn't persume life is forver, so we should make the most of it while we can. The very serious matter took up in the book is cancer, which one of the characters suffers of. I knew it was cancer emideatly when there was some talk abot some lump in Fintans neck, and I didn't like the way the book was going. Cancer and MK don't go together, cos MK-books always ends happily. So I never expected Fintan to dye, cos such doesn't happen in MK-books. So I persumed he would be miraculously cured, even thou I don't believe cancer can be cured... Well, actually Fintan wasn't definitely cured at the end after all. He might well ye of it some day, but hes going to make the most of his life till then. Well, however, he wasn't even the main character...
The main characters were Tara, who couldn't make herself leave her awfulboyfriend and Katherine, who doesn't want a boyfiend. Sounds pathetic, but it isn't really when u get to know more about them. Tara is very sympathetic avtually, and I love her! Katherine seams stupid sometimes, but she is the one who's past is revieled little by little in the book.
Sometimes I actually thought that wasn't the book ever going to end. There sertainly is many turns, but they are very unexpected actually, so its only good. Anyway. I think I was going to write a great dela more, but I have forgotten the rest...
Conclusion: A Very Good Book
PS. Last Chance Saloon was very good to read beside all the schoolbooks Im reading for the matriculation examination! I think Im going to read some more MK stright away!

A Long Way Down
A Long Way Down

2.0 out of 5 stars A really BIG disapointment, 21 Aug. 2005
This review is from: A Long Way Down (Hardcover)
Nick Hornby's newest novel was a really big dissapointment. I mean, Hornby belongs to my fave writers, and now he comes with this crap...
Well. The book is basically about four people who meet at New Year's Eve on the top of Topper's House intending to commit suicide. Doesn't sound too good, but I thougt Hornby was going to make good, or atleast farely good. But no. The whole story is just so unlikely. And none of Hornby's characters were REALLY going to jump and kill temselves. And what normal people would act like Horny's characters? Or rather: Would it be possible in the real world that four so different persons as Hornby's characters would form such relationships as they do? It's just so unlikely...
And anyway. Suicide is a way too serious subject for Hornby to write about. Well kind of at least. But then of course the book isn't really about suicide actually, but about thinking you want to commit suicide when you would never really do it in the end. Anyway. I don't consider the book even remotley funny. I didn't even smile a single time, even thou Hornby usually makes me laugh out loud. This time Hornby failed to be funny and was just stupid. And there was way too much swearing in the book. It's not like I dissaprove of swearing in books (or maybe of swearing in Finnish, but not in English, cos it doesn't sound half as bad to me), put this was just too much. An other thing I missed in the book was Hornby's usually so symphatetic chacters. The characters are often one of the best things in Hornby's books. But I didn't find any of the charcters in ALWD very symphatetic at all. They were quite stupid and very annoying. I was especially annoyed with the charcter Jess (18-year-old junior Minister's daughter).
The grade 2 comes fro that Hornby is generally a good writer, and the book wasn't unreadable which I concider the grade 1 to mean.

Fever Pitch
Fever Pitch

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertrainingly about footbal obsession, 21 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Fever Pitch (Hardcover)
Fever Pitch is indeed different Hornby. Kinda his autobiography, but excluding a lot of things. Hornby is definitely obcessed with footbal. "Get a life", I would like to say at some points of the book.
Footbal-fans like Hornby are definitely crazy. Still Hornby manages to write in an entertraining way about the theme. I don't care a thing for footbal and still i was rather entertrained by the book. I don't really know anything about footbal. The only games I sometimes watch are world/European cup games where my fave teams (Sweden and England (Finland is worthless on footbal) play. Ok, I do of cource wish that "my team" winns, but it can sertaninly not make or destroy my day.
But all in all it was nice to get the fans point of view footbal. The Swedich subtitle "En i laget" is indeed quite correct. Wonder why Hornby himself didn't think of it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2011 2:32 PM GMT

High Fidelity
High Fidelity

4.0 out of 5 stars Hornby amuses me whatever he writes about, 21 Aug. 2005
This review is from: High Fidelity (Paperback)
Oh well I just love Nick Hornbyes books! My expectations on High Fidelity weren't that high. It deals with a theme that is quite far from me and my world. Kinda. Men in their 30s. Well. Nick Hornby amuses me whatever he writes about. He is a brilliant genius. Incredibly funny! It's his style (humoristic and ironic), bul also the characters. Whatever kinda characters he makes up, they're always so sympathetic, which I love. They are all very ordinary people, that aren't so ordinary after all. Take Rob in High Fidelity. There are probably thousand of men like him, but how many of them are "Robs", that is, how many of them own an old recordshop like his or has his passions or thiks the way he thinks. Ordinary bul unique!
Well, I thinbk I can't but give it the highest grade after all, (or then not), though it isn't H's best book, which doesn't mean it was any bad. (Odd sentense.) Anyway. I enjoyd reading it. Definitely, even thou I hadn't heard of most of the songs/singers a lot talked about in the book. Ok, I HAVE actully heard about Beatles and Bruce Springsteen, but thats about it. Well, doesn't matter. I'm looking forward to seeing the film and reading more Hornby! Well, actually saw the film yesterday and was kinda disapointed. The film didnt leave an as good feeling as the book. The book definitely left me a good feeling thou it wsnt on a theme so well suited for me.

Jigs & Reels
Jigs & Reels
by Joanne Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 21 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Jigs & Reels (Hardcover)
This is what stands on the cover of the book:
"Suburban witches, defiant old ladies, ageing monsters, suicidal Lottery winners, wolf men, dolphin women and middle-aged manufacturers of erotic leatherwear. In these twenty-two short stories from the author of HOLY FOOLS and FIVE QUARTERS OF THE ORANGE, the miraculous goes hand-in-hand with the mundane, the sour with the sweet, and the beautiful, the grotesque, the seductive and the disturbing are never more than one step away.
JIGS & REELS is Joanne Harris' first collection of short stories. As she says in her Foreword, a good short story can startle, ignite, and illuminate... giving you vivid, anarchic glimpses into different world, different people. Here, she proves she is as good as her word by creating an eclectic selection of tales for our times that will delight, surprise, entertain and horrify in equal measure. Sly, funny, sometimes provocative but always personal, JIGS & REELS shows a side to Joanne Harris you have never seen before. So go on, be tempted. After all, it's only dancing. "
and I couldn't describe the book better my self. It is differnt Joanne Harris indeed. She mixes the the normal modern world with all kinds of unlikely/unusual things/events. JH really is one of the best writers I know. I mean, usually I don't even like shortstories. I only started reading Jigs & Reels because it was Joanne Harris, wonderful Joanne Harris. And I was very positively surprised. I really enjoyed every single one of JH's stories! And she can really provoke thought on the subjects she writes about. Many of these stories I will never forget. I write about all of them here, not even about all the very brilliant ones. But I think the first story "Faith and Hope go shopping" is the most worthy example. It's about two old women that run away from an old people's home to go to London to find a pair of read shoes Faith has dreamed about for a long time. The point is that thay are still people like any of us "young people" and they want to do things just like we do, and they have minds of their own. That's really something to think about. I think it gets to me so strongly, because I myself have experience of old people's homes and the people there. Sometimes it's really just the bodies that have failed the people there (and not the minds/brains), which u ought to remember... And that was just one example of a story...

Blackberry Wine
Blackberry Wine
by Joanne Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to Chocolat, 21 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Blackberry Wine (Paperback)
I'm totally fascinated. Blackberry Wine is yeat an other wonderful Joanne Harris-book. I love them. This time it is writer Jay Makintosh who has to make up with his past involving the betrayal of an old friend. Harris keeps writing about the same themes in book after book. But that's really nothing negative. It's great. There definitely is a great bit of nostalgia over her books.
Besides haunting pasts one of her themes is small villages and the speciall kind of societys they make. Everybody knows everybody and that's very bad when you are excluded, but when yua are included it's really great. An interesting thing about Backberry Wine is that it is set in the sam small village, Lansquenet, where Harris' most famous book Chocolat is set. We do actually meet the same characters again, and only the main charcters are different. So as always, Harris is a master of describing "the French idyl". This time, however, a importatnt part of the book is set in England. Maybe England and France aren't so differnt after all. Well...
As for the symbolism. Harris is a master of that also. Blackberry wine reveals secrets. There's a gret deal of magic over it, just like over the chocolate in Chocolat. Blackberry wine is something mysterious, but this time not dangerous like the oranges in Five Qarters of an Orange. It rather stands for safety and comfort, being what Jay has left of his old friend Joe.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7