Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Discover more Shop now
Profile for Faith > Reviews

Content by Faith

Faith (Finland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
A Tangled Web
A Tangled Web
by L. M. Montgomery
Edition: School & Library Binding

4.0 out of 5 stars Relationships and stubbornes and stupidnes -true Montgomery, 19 Oct. 2005
A Tangled Web is one of the LMM novels I bought on PEI. It is about the Dark and Penhallow -clan and The Jug that everyone wants to inherit. Aunt Becky, the owner of the jug, desides that the name of the one to inherit the jug will be publiced a year after her death, and during this year a lot of things happen in the clan.
Aunt Becky seams to me to be a very vice woman, whereas the younger people are real fools. It's all about relationships and stubbornes and stupidnes. The web is very tangled! All in all very Montgomery-like, and off course everything turns more than all right in the end...
A nice read. I especially enjoyed the first part of the book, that was about aunt Becky and her levee.

Magic For Marigold
Magic For Marigold
by L. M. Montgomery

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful story about a dreamy little girl, 19 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Magic For Marigold (Paperback)
When I first started reading Magic for Marigold (one of the LMM-books I bought at PEI) I wasn't really in a Montgomery-mood, but this book sertainly put me into that mood again.
Marigold is a typical Montgomery-character. A little girl who lives in her own magic world. Lovely. But Marigold isn't like Anne (of Green Gables) even thou both have the great imagination. Marigold is besides younger than Anne, also sweeter and quieter. A real dreamer. The book is really about Marigold's journey to the real world and to real people, away from the beautiful imaginary world where she spent the best part of her childhood with her imaginary friend Sylvia...
Someting else that is different in this book than in most Montgomery-books is that this is clearly set in the 1920s with cars instead of horse carriges and bobbeb hair instead of puffed sleeves.
I loved the book. A beautiful story about a dreamy little girl.

Meridian
Meridian
by Alice Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't really get the point of the book..., 29 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Meridian (Paperback)
Meridian is the story of a black woman in the South during the 60s. Meridian Hill is only 17 when she has been married, pregnant and divorced, and after giving her child away, she becomes politically involved in the 60s civile rights issues...

Hmm, I didn't really get the point of the book, I think... The plot was very diffuse (well, the Swedish word 'flummig', which I never use, would be the most right word). There wasn't that much happening in the book, and it took very long to get into the book and figure out what it was actually about. At times it was quite boring. Not a very deep book, I would say... I would have wanted to know more especially about Meridian and her feelings. So all in all not a very easy book to read. (Maybe I should go back to reading Alice Walker in Swedish...)

The Jane Austen Book Club
The Jane Austen Book Club
by Karen Joy Fowler

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe less Austen than I thought, 29 Aug. 2005
The Jane Austen Book Club is one of the books i bought from Canada, and it's off course a New York Times bestseller...! The reason why I bought it without actually knowing what it really was about, was that the titel sounded interesting and I love Jane Austen.
Well, the book IS about a Jane Austen book club. You find out about 6 different peoples lifes while Austens six novels are discussed. I suppose there are some parallells between the lifestories and the novels, but I think they aren't clear enough.
And I would also have wanted some more discussion about the Austen novels... Off course there was some points new to me about them, but I would have wanted more and deeper discussion. And other obvious parallells than the Austen like happy ending.
But I do indeed recomend this book especially for all Austen lovers. Or at least people who have read all Austen's novels. Off course the book is compitely readable without knowing Austen, but u probaby miss a lot then, since u don't know what the characters are talking about.

The Terminal [DVD] (2004)
The Terminal [DVD] (2004)
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but a little boring, 27 Aug. 2005
This review is from: The Terminal [DVD] (2004) (DVD)
Just watched this movie, on which I had high expectations, cos my siter loved it. But honestly, I was a little disapointed. Off course Tom Hank's character Victor Navorski, who is forced to stay on the airport, is very symphatetic and quite lovable. His russian accent is quite cute.
But well, how intersting a movie can u make of a man staying at an airport? At times the movie was a little boring, cos not much happened. I was actually waiting for the movie to end, and the ending was so obvious anyway.
But then again, comedies are always comedies. But How funny was The Terminal actually? Well, not hilarious atleast.
Hmm, atleast the movie made me want to travel, when I saw all the people on thei way somewhere... And I DO wish we had flown home from JFK and not from boring Boston when we flew home from the USA this summer.

Say You'll Be There [CD 1]  [CD 1]
Say You'll Be There [CD 1] [CD 1]
Offered by adrians_records

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Spice Girls songs ever!, 26 Aug. 2005
Say You'll Be There is one of the best Spice Girls songs ever! And the b-side Take Me Home is good too. It's always great to hear new old Spice Girls material.

Victoria Beckham
Victoria Beckham
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Victoria can sing!, 21 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Victoria Beckham (Audio CD)
I really like Victoria's solo-album! She's really proved she can sing. And good. I don't really think Victoria's a worse singer than the other Spice Girls. Actually I think Victoria's solo-album is one of the best Spice Girl -solo-albums. The music is really good, and she's got some really good texts. Many of her texts are really touching, especially Every Part of Me and I.O.U. They've got real messages in them. Well, those messages are off course directed to Victoria's son Brooklyn (Every Part of Me) and to her husband David (I.O.U.), but that's what's nice with them. They are personal. That's why I think Every Part of Me and I.O.U. are the best tracks on the album. What makes Every Part of Me even better is Brooklyn's babble in the background in the beginning and the end of the track. But all the tracks are good! I don't know whatever they are so Spice, but it's hard to make anything Spice without all the Spice Girls. So go Vic! If the Spice Girls don't go on, you should definitely go solo!
L.L. Helsinki 21.09.2002

Vicky Angel
Vicky Angel
by Jacqueline Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Too bad I'm a little too old for this book, 21 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Vicky Angel (Paperback)
My sister persuaded me into reading this childrens book when I was out of books on the Montrel-Toronto train. The book is about Jade who's best friend Vicky is killed in a car accident, and hoew she copes with this, or doesn't cope. Basically like that.
Well, it was a quick read, but I think I was a little too old for the book. Just too obvious. Like childrens books often are, and ougth to bee too.

The Amateur Marriage
The Amateur Marriage
by Anne Tyler

4.0 out of 5 stars a very GOOD book, 21 Aug. 2005
This review is from: The Amateur Marriage (Hardcover)
Anne Tyler is great. She writes about the generation gap and people connecting and not connection with eachother. The Amateur Maggiage is about how a marriage shouldn't be (obviously). First u think that the book wants to state that maggiages that start from love at first sight don't last, but that's not true. In the end of the book it actually seems like Michael and Pauline would have been happier if they hadn't divorced, expect its too late to change it offcourse.
Well, all in all I was very taken by the book. Now i can't find the right words... But a very GOOD book in any case.

The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton
The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton
by Jane Smiley

4.0 out of 5 stars a wonderfully exciting book, 21 Aug. 2005
The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton. A quite discribing title, what? Well I think so. But well, I don't know about the all-true part. I think the book is all made up, but "all-true makes the title more appealing. Make the title Lidie Newton's Travels and Adventures in Central North-America Pre Civil War and u get the picture!
Indeed I'm grateful I found Jane Smiley. I did so because of her attention seeking name. How couldn't u notice someting like Jane SMILEY? Well, it must be a made up name (could somebody really have such name?) and it is definitely a good one.
I really loved the book, 'cos I'm very inerested in the American Civil war. I think this book presents it from a new point of view (thet is new to me (I've only read books similiar to Gone With the Wind). Here it was Kansas and not Gerogia. Before I hadn't really herad what was going on in those parts of US. And the view on the "Goose question" (slave question) was a little differant. Before I've mostly read proslavery things (count out Louisa M Alcott's letters). Of course I've never doubted slavery being wrong, but I just don't think it as easy as that Yankees (in this book abolitionists, Free Staters) are heroes. What right did they have to start? well ahve anyway that war? It wasn't like all slaves were treated badly. Not the slaves in this book. And still Lorna (a well treated houshold slave) wanted to flee. I gues the point in this book was that the bad thing with slavery wasnt just bad treating of humans, but robbing people their free will. Lorna wanted to have the privilegie of doinng like she wnated to, that is leaving when she wanted to and not when her "massa" sent her away.
Well, all in all this was a wonderfully exciting book. I couldnt stop reading last night.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7