Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn More Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for justin case > Reviews

Content by justin case

justin case (toulouse)

M b v
M b v
Offered by skyvo-direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Being boring, 3 April 2013
This review is from: M b v (Audio CD)
I liked their 88 and 91 albums. Twenty two years on and MBV come up with this album in which everything is boring, even the title. Kevin Shields's perfectionism brought up something deprived of (e)motion, cold as turkey. Is there anything moving on this record, something making your neck hair rise, your eyes wet, your head bang, your feet move or your heart bounce? In my opinion, nothing at all. Yeah, great sound, amazing studio work and blah blah blah, with no hooks, mundane, mediocre. The same thing we could hold against Rick Wakeman, Emerson Lake and Palmer or Joe Satriani. Oh, sorry, this is indie music, so I should like it. I'm afraid I don't.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2013 2:30 PM BST

The Basque History Of The World
The Basque History Of The World
by Mark Kurlansky

1.0 out of 5 stars From a Basque: this book is rubbish, 8 Sept. 2008
I read this book when it came out and I just have taken it in my hands again to see if I have the same feeling about it now as I had it then. Indeed I do. Mr Kurlansky seems to be the kind of person who still finds romantic and idealistic the fight of those repressed peoples around the globe, such as, for instance, in Tibet, Kurdistan or, indeed, The Basque Country. It looks to me that he came to my homeland, he was very well fed (that we can do indeed) and he was strolled around by people who, I dare say, do not have very open views about those who do not think like themselves. Not only that: he was told loads of lies and decided to write a book based on them. Yes, I am a Basque, and I could not despise more those who say they fight in my name, those who "suffer but continue the struggle". Yes, I am a proud traitor. I am not in any way a patriot, not even an Spanish one. I just could not care less about Anthems, Flags or any crappy symbology of the kind.
I do not want to go on and on and on, because I would like to go to sleep soon. I would like just to quote some phrases from the book, just to give an overall idea of the genre of bullshit we a re dealing with.
"The killings went on" says Kurlansky. Nope, he is not talking about the terrorists from ETA, he is talking about the GAL, an Estate-sustained terrorist organization who killed, if I remember well, 27 people in the eighties. ETA has killed around 900. With a reason, of course, that is why the author never uses such unkind expressions. He even says that in the same period of time "the Spanish government have killed hundreds of Basques" What on Earth is he talking about? What are the names of those killed ones? Moreover, he tells us about the torture in Spanish and about the "violence" and "intimidation" of ETA. Did he mean "murders"? Not sure. Oh yes, torture. Of course it exists, and I depise it. Does that justify murder, kidnapping, extortion etc. etc.? Of course not. Ah, but we live in a "Police state". He even dares saying that "Basque youth called ertzantzas cipayos", and I laughed to tears: what do you mean, Mr Kurlansky? I have been young and when I got drunk even me I light have called them cipayos once or twice. Was I an independentist? Give me a break.
More hilariously, he says that "ETA's primary demand for decades has been negotiation". Really? Suppose that it is true, which is not. Negotiate what? On whose behalf? Ah, there you are: "The standing of ETA among the Basques is difficult to measure", He goes on trying to explain this and this is when you realize that the author is plain stupid. Do you need another proof? "without the Basque and the Catalan provinces, the two most productive regions, Spain would become an impoverished third-world nation". That is a good one, is not it? What, are you asking for data proving the statement? Sorry, we are not talking about the same book.
I want to finish. Just a final remark about the Euskara (or Euskera, as he puts it), that is the Basque language and, so it seems, the main proof of our existence as a unique people. Yes, it is the most ancient Language in Europe. And so what? Indeed, Languages evolve and that happens to be good. It happened to Latin, did not? I have studied all my life in Basque, since I was three up to my University degree, and I am not ready to accept intolerance and murder in the name of cultural primitivism.
Let me finish by telling those nationalists reading this that I am not a conservative, nor a right wing zealot (even if I was so, I would still be a Basque, they like it or not). In fact, I am quite the opposite: I am a left wing idealist who still thinks global justice is possible and that the fight for a better world requires respect, critical thought and open-minded spirits.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2012 4:06 PM GMT

Glyphic
Glyphic
Offered by positivenoise

4.0 out of 5 stars beyond genres, 14 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Glyphic (Audio CD)
Boxcutter takes off beyond dubstep, back to the old days of IDM and into the future. With its deep sound and rich textures, this record suceeds in being the opposite to flat or just "ambient" music. In fact, and despite the different tempos proposed all throughout, the record remains cohesive and it easily grabs your full attention. Brilliant stuff.

Rip it Up and Start Again: Postpunk 1978-1984
Rip it Up and Start Again: Postpunk 1978-1984
by Simon Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars it can not get better. Can it, Simon?, 12 July 2006
This is the best book out there by the best music critic out there and it talks about the best period in pop music history there's ever been. Mr Reynolds is not only authoritative, accurate and robust; he is also engaging and passionate. This is him at his best, going through those late 70s early 80s musical excellence without disregarding socio-economical context. To list the musical milestones discussed here would take me far too long, so let's keep it simple: If you like The Fall, Gang Of Four, Joy Division, PIL, Talking Heads etc. etc. etc. you should read this; if you like Franz Ferdinand and Bloc Party, then you must.

Life Is Beautiful [DVD] [1999]
Life Is Beautiful [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Roberto Benigni
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars What's so funny?, 1 Jun. 2006
I do not think there should be any precensuring political correctness. However, one should know that you must be really really good if you are going to tackle certain subjects on a comedy mood. Could anybody think of a parody about the 9/11 attacks? What about Guantanamo? Hard to imagine, is not it? Difficult to accomplish without hurting too many people, nor without being right down stupid. Then, why the holocaust? Oh yes, it is already 60 years, we should move on and have some perspective. Truth is, the holocaust is one of the most horrible human deeds ever to be known. It is obvious that benigni would agree with that statement, and that he intended to touch our hearts, but the problem is that he also wanted to be funny in Auschwitz.
Well, if you want to be touched by the holocaust, just watch any good documentary on the matter, which will tear your heart apart. What is the first thing that comes to one's mind when thinking about nazi death camps? crematoriums, piled belongings, piled dead bodies, living skeletons, gas chambers, dreadfully overcrowded barracks and, of course, millions of, again, piled dead bodies. Benigni decided that most of that was just a nuisance in his attempt to being funny, and decided to ignore it: it is hard to make jokes if you show those things. He knows we know everything about the extermination camps, so he just ignored a few "details". But he still wanted to make a movie setup in one of those camps, I do not know why. And, of course, he wanted to be touching, playing with the common knowledge about the death camps but without being explicit. So, he came up with this incredibly cheesy and unbelievable father-son thing in which the parent tries, and succeeds, in avoiding his sibling knowing what is really going on.
What we conclude from the film, given what we know about the real situation back then, is, first of all, that the kid was not very smart. Then, we must think that benigni's character is the most unrealistic exterminated character ever. Finnally, a little worry: imagine that a person who knows nothing about death camps watched film. He or she would came out of the screening not only equally oblivious, but maybe wondering "well, what is all that fuss about 2nd world war, then?"
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2010 10:32 PM GMT