Profile for Paul Robinson > Reviews

Who Owns The Future?
Who Owns The Future?
by Jaron Lanier

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly thought out hogwash, 11 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Who Owns The Future? (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The incoherence of a book that suggests capitalism is both the only economic model that can work but also insists that the largest capitalist enterprises on Earth are broken for not giving us all micro-payments when we "improve them" via interaction is just jarring. I found myself reading parts of this book and wondering if they were written by the same person who wrote other parts, because I don't understand how you can logically hold some of these same thoughts in the same head and truly believe them.

Not for me. Time might tell that this is a classic I've misread, but I just can't see how the ideas in here make economic, political or logical sense.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2013 12:39 PM GMT

Philosophy and Probability
Philosophy and Probability
by Timothy Childers

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting take, 11 Aug. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am well acquainted with probability calculus and have a passing interest in philosophy, so was looking forward to this as a different take that combined my interests.

This is a book written by an academic, published by an academic publisher, trying to be as unacademic as possible, and failing. Yes, a lot of the book is designed to be "pop" and the academic rigour is played down, but parts of this book are clearly going to be more useful to an undergraduate or postgraduate trying to deal with probability from a non-mathematical perspective. However, if you're a complete beginner, you're going to struggle - nothing that a quick browse of Wikipedia won't help clarify for you - and so I think the "blurb" is a little misleading. I think you need a grasp of the basic mathematics, and some of it will be unfamiliar to many: I was surprised to have to start remembering symbolic logic, and there are whole sections of the appendix that I've left for "another day".

On the other hand, the discussions are useful and interesting, and too much time has been spent understanding probability mathematically and too little understanding the real-world impact of those mathematics. I enjoyed the book and will return to most it in future, but the phrase "He keeps technicalities to a minimum, and assumes no prior knowledge of the subject" is just wrong...

Decoded: The Science Behind Why We Buy
Decoded: The Science Behind Why We Buy
by Phil Barden

4.0 out of 5 stars How Marketers Market, 11 Aug. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A well-written guide to a complex topic: why do people pay more than they know something is really worth? "Decision-science", that branch of psychology that has to take into account many factors is currently at a stage where we are starting to really understand how the brain - evolved for a World very different to our own - reacts to the World we have fashioned for ourselves. It's a fascinating introduction to a fascinating topic.

Some might feel the content is a little light and lacking on science in some areas, but it's not a peer-reviewed journal paper, but rather something much more approachable.

Centrum Fruity Chewables Tablets - Pack of 30
Centrum Fruity Chewables Tablets - Pack of 30

4.0 out of 5 stars "Chewable" means just that, 11 Aug. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lots of reviewers are complaining that these pills are not chewy. They don't claim to be: they claim to be chewable, which isn't the same thing. You may chew them instead of taking them whole, which isn't the same as them being like chewy sweets.

They're more like Refreshers or Love Hearts than they are like Basset "Soft and Chewy" multivitamins, and they taste like them too. Quite tangy, and therefore unlike Basset multivitamins don't have a weird taste when you still have the taste of toothpaste in your mouth.

I definitely feel better in myself when I've taken a couple of these in the morning compared to days when I've forgotten them, but I'm not convinced these are completely right for me.

The fact you don't have to swallow them whole is a major advantage for people who can't or won't (I fall in the latter camp: I hate even taking aspirins). I'd suggest trying these and their competitors for a month or two each and see which you prefer.

Growth Champions: The Battle for Sustained Innovation Leadership (Growth Agenda)
by The Growth Agenda

4.0 out of 5 stars Not ground-breaking, but doesn't suffer for it, 27 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you know a fair bit about innovation, nothing in here is going to come as a revelation to you: culture and vision are key.

I think if you don't know a lot about innovation, it's a good grounding and a solid introduction to some good case studies, presented in a relatively novel format.

However, focusing on the success stories is not how to deal with innovation in the real World. You need to look at the failures and where people got it wrong whilst trying to innovate. There are clues here, because the context of the economy and the culture the companies operate in have been taken into account, but I think the narrative would have benefitted from an analysis of where innovation went wrong or where people followed the same pattern and just didn't quite get the same results.

Nine Minutes on Monday: The Quick and Easy Way to Go From Manager to Leader
Nine Minutes on Monday: The Quick and Easy Way to Go From Manager to Leader
by James Robbins

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid go-to guide for improving your leadership skills, 21 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Management isn't rocket science, but sometimes we all need a few tips, a bit of structure, some words from the experienced.

This book doesn't contain anything novel or ground-breaking, but what it presents it does so in a way that's quite accessible and easy to implement.

Like all managers, I hate management books, but I'll keep this one around and pass it onto colleagues in future.

Politics and the English Language (Penguin Modern Classics)
Politics and the English Language (Penguin Modern Classics)
by George Orwell

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic, but deserving of a book in its own right?, 21 Jun. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This pamphlet - at less than 30 pages, it's hard to call it a book - is of Orwell's classic essay on sloppy language and the differences between bad ('insincere') and good writing. It is padded out with Orwell's review of Mein Kampf.

I'm not convinced that it is such a great work it deserves publication on its own merit, however the thesis is convincingly argued and well-written.

I sense that we're going to see lots of little break-out publications like this of Orwell's core works in coming years as publishers seek to flog what they can out of the remaining copyright term on Orwell's work. In the European Union this essay will become public domain in 2020, so not long left...

5 stars for the content, but docked a star because I can't help but feel they could have added more around this core material to make it a little better value.

Manager as Coach: The New Way to Get Results
Manager as Coach: The New Way to Get Results
by Jenny Rogers

5.0 out of 5 stars The only management book you really need, 16 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the modern era, building teams is how you succeed. Hierarchies are flattened. Job titles are about responsibility to those above you more than over the ones below you.

So what place does a manager have in this era? For years I've been arguing that a good modern manager is one who coaches his staff. I'm still learning, but my management style is one of trying to share my expertise and experience and helping bring other people along to reach their potential.

This book provides a great framework to work with, and I would pass it on to any younger colleagues moving into management roles - almost everything else about personnel management is outdated dogma, in my opinion.

Aves Air AIR8021010 Digital Handheld DAB  DAB+ FM Radio with LCD Display
Aves Air AIR8021010 Digital Handheld DAB DAB+ FM Radio with LCD Display

3.0 out of 5 stars Batteries? You mean I have to buy batteries?, 16 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So here's the problem: expected battery life 8 hours. No problem, just whack it on charge each night when I get ho... oh. It takes actual batteries. As in those things you put in toys.

You can't complain about the price point and the miracle of getting tech that only a few years ago was the size of my Pure Evoke in the kitchen, shrunk all the way down to a nicely pocketable device like this.

But I really wish they'd put a proper battery in it and a charging dock.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2014 12:30 AM BST

101 Design Methods: A Structured Approach for Driving Innovation in Your Organization
by Vijay Kumar

4.0 out of 5 stars Quantity over quality, but a handy reference, 16 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've facilitated many workshops trying to help people innovate and design software products, and so I was intrigued to see if this has anything new.

It does - there are some interesting takes in here on things I'd seen before and a few new ideas I'd not seen before.

The only downside is in order to fulfil the title's objective, the treatment of each can be a little brief in some places, and without a little more discussion and context a reader might think that there is some considerable overlap. With a bit of trying things out and building on these as a starting point, I think you would be hard pushed to not find the right solution for the problem in front of you. Great stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8