Profile for Mr. A. R. Thiele > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. R. Thiele

Mr. A. R. Thiele "Question Everything, Learn Something, Answer Nothing - Marcus Aurelius AD 121-180"

Pioneer VSX-923-K 7.2 Channel AV Receiver - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, sound, value and app for ipad., 13 Mar. 2014
I bought this for £300 based on a 4/5 star what hi fi review at £450 and on the assumption that had they reviewed at it £300 it would have been 5/5 stars. I have paired it with monitor audio speakers and sub and it sounds great. It was important for me to have an amp that works well with music as well as movies/games and this one does. Also very important was integrated spotify and the ipad and iPhone app. The app is fantastic and is what made me buy this amp over others in this price range. My only gripe is the controller which is absolutely horrendously cluttered and badly laid out - thankfully the app makes up for that. Very happy with my purchase. Movies, games and music sound fantastic. The supplied microphone for automatic sound set up works really well too.

Soft As Down Microfibre Duvets 13.5 Tog (King 225cm x 220cm)
Soft As Down Microfibre Duvets 13.5 Tog (King 225cm x 220cm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, warm and silent., 13 Mar. 2014
Best duvet I've ever had. I used to have an expensive down duvet. It was ok but so noisy! This duvet is very soft, very warm, and absolutely silent. No crinkly noises whatsoever! Well made too.

Proxima Direct® iPad to HDMI Adapter / iPad TV out Adapter for iPad/ iPad 2/ iPad 3 / iPhone 4s (iPhone 4 only work with video apps) -- Full HD 1080P, not for Lighting

4.0 out of 5 stars Great - no simultaneous charge though, 13 July 2012
Great product. Does what it says on the tin. In hindsight I wish I had bought the apple one though with which you can simultaneously charge. I find with this one I run out of charge and then have to quit watching telly on my tv whilst I charge up again.

75th
75th

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly beautiful, 9 July 2011
This review is from: 75th (Audio CD)
As an avid Weather Report listener, I'm always on the lookout for similar music. But saying that, not all Weather Report tracks and albums did it for me. As the band played through the years and different artists joined then left, the musical style of Weather Report changed. Although of course Zawinul was always there, providing a constant, without whom I don't think there would be a Weather Report. I feel that this album captures some of my favourite styles of Weather Report that undoubtedly owe to Zawinul's creative world inspiration.

In my quest to find music that somewhat compared to WR, people would advise Miles Davis, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra amongst others but I always failed to hear the similarity. The music of WR has a polyrhythmic creativity so utterly random but at the same time so perfectly aligned - that, for me, it made all others including the above seem too logical, too prescriptive and hence too predictable in comparison.

This album continues the atmosphere that I loved about WR that was apparent in albums like '8.30', 'Black Market', 'Procession' and 'Mysterious Traveller'. Tracks like Nubian Sundance and Jungle Book come to mind. It has a similar vibe, but with more 'tribal' elements. This album does have a few tracks which have a kind of tribal voice/singing. To be honest I'd prefer less of it, particularly in that track named 'Cafy Andalusia' which is wrecked by dull voice parts. Thankfully, only the one track is wrecked and in the few other tracks on this album that have voice the parts, it fits well and doesn't subtract from the music that's being played - of course there are parts which sound fantastic and form a rich accompaniment to the music... it's a mixed bag really. I used to love the vocals that Manolo Badrena gave to both Weather Report and Zawinul Syndicate.....

What I never liked about Weather Report were their tunes that fell into what I call the stereotypical 'Pointless Jazz' bucket. The BBC reviewer above mentioned the album Forecast:Tomorrow as an entry to Zawinul for novices. I couldn't disagree more - although it does have some awesome tracks, that album has pretty much every track that I would dump into the above PJ bucket. Tracks that sound like they were written purely for innovation sake or for their technical prowess without even a hint of soul, passion, atmosphere..... I hear it, but I don't FEEL anything. Thankfully this album has none of that and is instead full of emotion, soul, spontaneity and LIFE!

I think, considering Zawinul's career, this album is a fitting end. This album is full of life and Zawinul certainly lived his. 'In A Silent Way' for me is exquisite. I've listened to every version of this track, my fave up til now being the one on '8.30', but this is just incredible. The ending is so touching and is such an unexpected variant of a tune I know so well and love, that I got a bit emotional. I'm guessing this is one of the last times that Zawinul and Wayne Shorter played together which makes the ending just that much more poignant.

I'm so chuffed with this album..... best WR related music I've heard since Zawinul at the North Sea Jazz Festival..... (which is amazing)..... RIP Joe Zawinul.....

The Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci Complete
The Notebooks of Leonardo Da Vinci Complete

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 7 May 2011
Pictures are a vital part of this book and they have been removed for the kindle rendering this an absolutely pointless download

BLACK+DECKER KA1000 Mouse Detail Sander + 22 Access
BLACK+DECKER KA1000 Mouse Detail Sander + 22 Access

1.0 out of 5 stars Very badly designed, 27 April 2011
I had exactly the same problem as the reviewer below.

The sanding pad is attached to the main body by plastic connectors. They broke. Once they brake there's nothing you can do. Time for the waste bin for this badly designed junk. And it's very expensive for what it is too.

Another flaw; the tip of the pad, the bit you use to sand in corners, wore out straight away and it doesn't come with spares. Complete waste of money.

Panasonic TX-P42S20B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 600Hz Plasma TV with Freeview HD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HD and SD quality, 10 Sept. 2010
I've been putting off scrapping my CRT until now because I could not find a flat panel tv without motion blur or judder and good quality SD. They all just looked like rubbish in the shops. This tv however is faultless. No judder or blur at all and fantastic SD quality, even sat close to the screen.

PS3 gaming is incredible, HD channels are unbelievable and full HD movies are just ridiculously good! I'm so glad I bought this tv and not an LCD or led. Sound quality is ok too, but to be honest you're going to want to rig it up to a fat soundsystem.

I personally don't think all the latest expensive led tv look any better than this at all. In fact I would sat they're much worse, suffering from judder etc. Don't waste you're money in higher spec models because you simply don't need to. This tv is perfect, and a bargain!

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 (PC DVD)
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 (PC DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad - but lots of issues, 17 Nov. 2008
OK, where to start, i'll skip all the DRM stuff - I was blissfully unaware of it until i came on here to write this review - but luckily i didnt install the downloader - mainly because i knew from previous experience having downloaded C&C3 that it sucks beyond belief.

Right. If you havn't played C&C Generals. Don't bother with this. Save yourself some money and get Generals. It's more intelligent, has a better online environment (except for the cheating fake noobs)has better looking graphics and is basically much more fun.

Yes I did say better graphics! Red Alert does have good graphics, dont get me wrong - but they are garish and horribly high contrast. Generals is so much more realistic, and on the highest graphics settings - it looks fantastic. The planes actually take off from a runway, instead of lifting off from some sort of helipad. To be honest the unit graphics are pretty disgusting and really quite hideous in Red Alert 3.

Overall, the stategy in Red Alert is very basic. You can have more intelligent warefare in generals. And my main gripe is the resources thing. This is something ive never liked in C&C. Generals has the great option to make money - even if theres no oil or supplies. You can build supply drops etc, which make for very strategic play - expecially in the survival maps.

If you're 12 years old, fancy that blonde bird from hollyoaks (even though she's a northener!) and don't mind simple RTS with garish colors, then get it. If, like me your over 25 and like realistic, strategic RTS, then get generals.

Reference Data for Engineers: Radio, Electronics, Computers and Communications
Reference Data for Engineers: Radio, Electronics, Computers and Communications
by E.C. Jordan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible!, 2 April 2006
While this book is now somewhat dated - the fundamentals of engineering do not change with time. I am in my final year of study doing a BEng in Electrical & Electronic Engineering and found this book very usefull. It is full of loads of litte gems and is basically exactly what it says.....A reference book. Very clear and well written. A very worthy addition to my library.

Hama Extendable Mini Tripod
Hama Extendable Mini Tripod
Offered by UK Surplus Central Ltd - Dispatched Same Day If Order Received By 14:00

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Tiny!, 2 April 2006
This tripod is VERY small! Its ok...and for the price this tripod is worth it...but it does have very limited applications. I would suggest only buying this tripod for the odd bit of macro work...or maybe to use with the self timer on a digital camera. If you really cannot buy a proper tripod or do not have the space for one, then this little tripod will fit in you back pocket nicely for that odd situation where you need you camera still.