Profile for The Truth > Reviews

Content by The Truth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 217
Helpful Votes: 12099

The Truth "How it is" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Waterproof Dry Bags - Floating Compression Stuff Sacks Gear Backpacks for Kayaking Camping - Bundled with Phone Case and Pocket Tool (Gray, 10L)
Offered by worldstyle UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and robust. For kayaking not backpacking., 16 Aug. 2016
A good but basic dry bag. One of the thicker, sturdier types (like Ortlieb) so more suited to kayaking than hill-walking or trekking. Tough and durable though. Comes with a shoulder strap which will be a matter of personal taste (personally I prefer them without), but it's functional and does what's asked of it. The choice of colours are nice and bright too.

PErsonally, I think the other items cheapen it a bit. But having said that, I have found myself using the waterproof phone case (though it is bulky and the plastic doesn't feel very robust). At this price though, it's a good deal.

Mountaintop Waterproof Dry Bag Floating Dry Gear Bags for Boating, Kayaking, Fishing, Rafting, Swimming, Camping, Canoeing and Snowboarding
Offered by Mountaintop Outdoor

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks great. Seems to be waterproof., 10 Aug. 2016
I was given this dry bag to review free of charge and these are my thoughts on it.

It looks nice, the orange and grey colours work well together giving it a very modern look and making it easy to spot in the wild. The bright orange means it could be used to signal for help in an emergency too.

The material is nice and light, which is good however two things cause me concern.

The fabric is very lightweight and thin - which on the one hand is good - but I'm not sure if it's rip stop, so I'm unsure how sturdy it is.

Also, there's a label saying it's not 100% waterproof which is slightly worrying. However, that said, I filled it with air, sealed it, and gave it a squeeze and no air came out which suggests it is watertight.

Basically, I'd trust it to keep my basics dry. But I'm not sure if trust it to protect my camera or GPS. All in all though, it's a good dry bag and I will be using it when I go out camping.

eBoot 10 Pack Aluminum Alloy Tent Pegs Stakes for Camping, Beach, Outdoor and Sand, 7 inch (Golden)
Offered by eBoot

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic but up to the job., 10 Aug. 2016
These are a good set of cheap tent pegs. They are Y shaped, like more expensive pegs, which mean they don't spin in the ground and hold firmly in the dirt. The colour means they're easy to spot when it come to pulling out and they're fine for what I wanted them for (pegging out my tarp).

The string is low quality, but can be easily swapped for better quality para cord, and I'd have liked a slightly deeper notch or overhang on them so I could be more certain my guy lines won't slip off in strong winds but for the money you really can't complain.

They're light and come with a little pouch to hold them all together, and would make a got set of replacement pegs or spares should you ever need them. All in all, I'm quite pleased with them. They were given to me free to review and I'm very happy with. 4 stars over all.

Mardingtop Tactical Molle Backpack Trekking Backpack Army Rucksacks Military Bag Compact Pack for Hunting Shooting Camping Hiking Outdoor Sport
Offered by Mountaintop Outdoor

4.0 out of 5 stars OK for a night of wild camping., 9 Aug. 2016
While I don't consider myself an expert in outdoor life, for the last 9 months I've been working for a small online retailer who specialises in selling outdoor clothing an equipment. The equipment we sell is top-end as we include legends such as Ed Stafford, Megan Hine and various Mountain Rescue teams amongst our clients. You won't find us selling highstreet names like Berghaus or North Face, as we feel even they are poor quality - so with that in mind, this is going to be a harsh, realistic review.

I feel that's only right though. If you're going into the wild, you need to know you can trust your kit.

Size: Although this is referred to as a 'trekking' bag, I was sceptical there would be enough room in the bag for all my kit. However, I was wrong and managed to fit my head torch, multi tool, first aid kit, survival tin, 3 season sleeping bag, DD Hammock and tarp, para cord, shovel and dry bag in it with out too much problem. In fact, with my axe and sleeping mat attached in the outside I pretty much had everything I needed for a night of wild camping. There was still room for a few bits of food, and my water bottle attached easily to the Molle system. I was good to go.

Features: This simple (which I like) design consists of 1 big main compartment which opens at both the top and the bottom (so you can reach items at the bottom of the lack without having to take everything out each time. It has 2 medium sized zipped outside pockets, and 2 elasticated side pockets for your water bottle (the standard style). The hip belt is basic but works and the chest strap came attached to the wrong place on the shoulder straps. However, this was a minor inconvenience and easily rectified. The back was padded making it comfy to wear, and compression straps kept the pack nice and tight. All in all, it had everything I'd hoped to see. It's only downfall - the compression straps on the bottom don't pass under the bag on the outside, so you can't sling your sleeping mat under you pack. Something I know some people look down on but I quite like - especially with a small pack like this.

Quality: this is wear the pack is a bit of a let down - but that came as no surprise. The plastic clips are cheap and brittle and the material is hardly Goretex. Whether or not the stitching will last we'll have to wait and see. However, for the money, if you're looking for a cheap pack for a weekend or two, this is a pretty good option. I quite like it. I couldn't honestly say I'd trust it on a long hike or expedition, but for a night of wild camping it'll be quite good. I will use it for short trips instead of my 75 litre pack until I can afford something better.

Unknown (Dummies Junior)
Unknown (Dummies Junior)
by Nick Willoughby

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy resource for those wanting to make films, 3 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although clearly aimed at kids, the 123 pages in this book on how to make YouTube videos makes interesting reading and is a good resource for anyone looking to make films.

Maybe film making is a hobby, or you want to create short videos to promote your business? Whatever the reason you want to make homemade films, this book will thoroughly guide you through the process.

Its chapters cover everything from selecting your equipment, preparing scripts and storyboards, different types of shots and the effect they create and editing the final film.

It's short but sweet, well put together with good clear colour photographs. If you want to get into basic film making this is a good place to start.

Salter Slow Cook Electronic Timer
Salter Slow Cook Electronic Timer
Offered by HoMedics Group

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy little item., 28 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Quite a cool little product. Nothing fancy but it comes in useful. Very simple to use with hour, minute and second buttons, along with start and stop.

It has a stand at the back which flips out so you can rest it on your kitchen worktop, but I tuck it in and use the two magnets to attach it to my extractor fan.

All in all - I like it and think I'll end up using it a lot.

Salter MaxView Body Fat Analyser Scale
Salter MaxView Body Fat Analyser Scale

2.0 out of 5 stars Going down hill, 23 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not sure what's going on with Salter recently? They used to make good products but the last few set of scales I've been sent for review which have been manufactured by them have been rubbish and given unreliable readings.

These scales have a good range of features but sadly they're all pretty useless because you can't trust the readings.

These scales also suffer from a problem that a lot of the other BMI scales I've revised suffer from: they're rather complicated to set up and use.

AmazonBasics Dinnerware Set, Service for 4, 16-Piece
AmazonBasics Dinnerware Set, Service for 4, 16-Piece

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic but pretty cool., 15 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm unable to see a price for this item at the time of review so won't be able to give a very good review, as that, in my opinion is critical and has great bearing on things.

However, that said, this collection is from the Amazin Basics range so I'll assume it's a budget set - and if that is indeed the case, then I think it's pretty good.

You get 4 plain white bowls, saucers/side plates, cups and plates. Nothing fancy but completely acceptable. The plates and saucers have a slight dip/lip in them so will keep juices and gravies from spelling off.

For around £15 to £20 (which I'm guessing would be about the price)this is a pretty good set of basic but quite cool plates and bowls.

Salter Aquatronic Electronic Platform Scale, White
Salter Aquatronic Electronic Platform Scale, White

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing performance. Lack accuracy., 13 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Disappointing. While this sort of scales or small compact and easy to use they lacked accuracy making them nearly useless. Are used them to measure out my daily food diet however I just couldn't trust the readings. Also to be honest I wasn't really fan of the looks either. My advice would be to look elsewhere if you're after a pair of kitchen scales.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, good. Smells nice., 25 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Up until now I've used cats best Oko Plus cat litter in my cats' trays since they're were kittens, so I was a little uneasy about trying this as I'd heard cats can be funny when you change their litter (something to do with them not liking the strange new texture under their paws), but luckily it wasn't an issue. They thought it odd and new but got down to business when the time came.

After that, the litter performed as you'd hope - more or less. It clumped OK, but I found it stuck like cement to the bottom of tray, so made it hard to scoop out. It absorbed odours though and I'd be happy to use it again. In fact, it left a rather nice fragrance on my cats after they'd been as it was scented. It is made up of very fine grains (much smaller than cats best) so is suitable for self cleaning litter boxes but this does make it very dusty when pouring out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20