Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Wales)

Page: 1 | 2
Proxima Direct® USB Wireless Gaming Receiver PC Adapter for XBox 360 Games Controller Consoles - Win 7 Win 8 Compatible
Offered by Proxima Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly on Win 10. Just follow the instructions in review section., 19 Mar. 2016
Thanks to Alan Sheehan's guide in his review (below) I got this working on my Windows 10 x64 PC in under 5 minutes. Plays games perfectly.

Tip: When you've finished gaming you can turn your controller off using the button on the battery pack, but if you find that a bit fiddly there's a free tool you can download to remotely switch it off. I downloaded this and pinned it to my Start Bar for easy access.
[...]

FiiO Replacement Cable for Ultimate Ears Earphones (RC-UE1)
FiiO Replacement Cable for Ultimate Ears Earphones (RC-UE1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fit in iPod Classic, 7 July 2013
As far as build quality of this cable goes, it is superior to the flimsy default Ultimate Ears cable so I *want* to give it a very high review. Listening to my iPod at my desk was great, and reminded me why I shelled out so much money on a pair of Ultimate Ears all those years ago.

Unfortunately, as soon as I began walking down the street the audio started cutting out and the volume became intermittent. After examining the cable more closely I realised this was because the top-heavy headphone jack - coupled with the fact this was a vertical connection (as opposed to the right-angled connection of the default cable) - meant the jack was constantly 'wobbling'. I did a quick check with all my other headphones and confirmed that headphone jacks should never wobble (even if you attempt to move them while they're connected; much less if it does so of its own accord).

I can't speak for all connections, but for my 160GB iPod Classic this cable does not do the job unless I am stationary. Even having it in my pocket while I'm on the bus is somewhat temperamental.

Verdict: Don't buy if you intend to do anything more than sitting motionless in a chair when listening to music.

I Am Legend (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
I Am Legend (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Will Smith
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this version, NOT the 1-disc edition!, 7 Sept. 2009
This film got a lot of bad press when it first came out, but I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic worlds so decided to check it out. Fortunately I bought the 2-disc edition; if I had only bought the single-disc my rating of this film would be a lot lower.

Why? Well, the 2 discs are essentially different films. Disc 1 is the version shown in the cinema, which is great up until the last half hour when any semblance of plot, logic or good writing is thrown out the window in exchange for lots of death and big explosions.

Disc 2, however, is the *director's cut* version of the film: while 90% of the film is exactly the same, that final 10% makes all the difference. Having watched through both, it's obvious that this is how the director/writer intended the film to be all along. No doubt somewhere along the way the studio said "this ending makes people think; get rid of it and just put a big explosion instead." (Don't you just love it when Hollywood does that?)

My advice would be to throw Disc 1 away as soon as you open the case and just watch Disc 2. It ties up loose ends in the plot, answers questions raised earlier in the film, and also engages your brain just enough for it to excrete that little feeling of 'I've done something thought-provoking, so feel less guilty about vegetating in front of the TV for the last two hours.'

That is, of course, unless unanswered questions and plot holes don't bother you and you would much rather see things go boom, in which case stick with Disc 1.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2010 8:49 PM GMT

Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (PC DVD)
Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars For God's sake - just buy it!, 25 Sept. 2008
I made the naive mistake of not buying this, thinking "Half-Life 2 might not be so great and I may not want the episode packs; Team Fortress 2 looks silly and Portal looks weird. I'll just buy HL2 and save money."

Well, two months on and I'm sorely regretting not buying this because I have since bought EVERY game individually, and regard each one as one of my all-time favourites.

Half-Life 2 (and particularly the episodes) are beyond explosive and it's very playable despite the age. I never once felt the game was 'dated', due in part to Steam still updating their older games - I was impressed to see HL2 making use of my 64-bit processor, which is more than many brand new games do. Oh, and Team Fortress 2 is the *only* multiplayer game most of you will ever need. It's as fun as it is addictive.

Do not knock Steam: as well as allowing you to play your games without inserting the DVD, Steam automatically patches and updates your games. It is an absolute lifesaver and I now buy all my games over it.

If you're a big online gamer and don't already have Counterstrike, and feel that TF2 may not be enough to satisfy you, consider buying the Source Premier Pack over Steam instead. It includes the Orange Box in the price, but throws in a bunch of Source games too.

Letter To A Christian Nation
Letter To A Christian Nation
by Sam Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be read by every Christian without exception, 19 Jun. 2008
Speaking as a former Christian (and now an ardent secularist), I can say without hesitation that this book should be read by EVERY person who considers themself to be a Christian.

I have bought more copies of this book than any other as I regularly give copies to friends and family members, as I am that confident that their lives would be bettered by considering the issues it raises.

A copy of this book should reside in every hotel room across the Western world.

Hitman: Blood Money (PC DVD)
Hitman: Blood Money (PC DVD)
Offered by Bonisell

5.0 out of 5 stars Undeniably the best of a great series, 11 April 2008
I've been playing the Hitman series since the original game, and while each one has had enough new additions to keep it interesting, they'd all been fairly similar and (in places) quite linear up until now. Hitman Blood Money blows them all out of the water. In fact, the only bad thing that can be said of this game is that once you've played it you'll probably never touch the older Hitman games again.

The free-flowing camera movement is the best improvement in my opinion - games like Oblivion REALLY need to start implementing it. The ability to interact with characters and objects in new ways, and approach the same mission from numerous different angles, means you can play each mission a dozen times and still not experience everything the game has to offer.

I would primarily recommend this game to people looking for something more intelligent and stealthy than your typical action game. While Hitman can certainly go in guns blazing, the game is clearly designed for more than that. If you run into a gun fight you'll find Hitman has an annoying tendency to reload his guns while taking fire - when the character in a standard FPS would opt for the more sensible approach of ducking for cover and grabbing a different gun. If you want a lot of 'constant guns blazing' action this trait will no doubt annoy you. But if, instead of thinking "there's only 20 of them - I can take them" you think more like "I wonder whether shooting a single bullet into that glass roof will cause the shards to fall and impale the guards, giving me enough time to make my sneaky getaway" then this game is DEFINITELY for you.

I've had this game nearly 2 years, and it's still one of my all-time favourites. If you only ever buy one stealth game in your life, make it this one. You won't be disappointed.

CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 PC RAM Memory
CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 PC RAM Memory
Offered by SELECT ELITE

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but consider the 4GB model, 28 Mar. 2008
For the price, this is a good offer. The RAM is reliable, and has a lifetime warranty which is always nice.

There are two things I would recommend with this RAM:

1) Once it's installed, go into BIOS and manually configure the timings (4-4-4-12) and voltage. The reason this is important is because Windows will default to "safe" settings for all RAM, but this is capable of considerably more (nb: this is not the same as overclocking; this is simply setting it at the capability it is assured to work at).

Doing this to mine brought its Vista score rating from 5.6 up to 5.9 (the maximum) so should certainly not be overlooked.

2) There is a 2x2GB set available for only a small amount more. It might be worth considering this instead, as it would potentially give you room to fit 8GB in the future.

Logitech MX Revolution Wireless Laser Mouse
Logitech MX Revolution Wireless Laser Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a great mouse. Battery issue is easily overcome., 28 Mar. 2008
FOR THOSE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE BATTERY LIFE:

A very simple solution: turn it off when you're not using it. If you stick this mouse in the charger every time it's not in use, it will obviously wear the battery down - so don't. Just switch it off using the switch underneath and leave it on your mousemat. I do this every time my mouse is not in use, and as a result it has a great battery life and on average I only need to charge it once a fortnight - and this is coming from someone who uses his computer *a lot*.

If you have battery problems, make sure you only put the mouse in the dock when the battery is *very low*. The same rule applies to phones, iPods and anything else with a rechargable battery. If you are hesitant about buying this mouse because of the negative battery reviews, then please take my comment into consideration before dismissing it, as this really is the best mouse I've ever owned.

On to the other details...

This was the first wireless mouse I ever used, and I am certainly impressed.
The scroll is fantastic and saves a LOT of effort when scrolling through long documents, which I do regularly. The 'search' button is never touched accidentally, so don't worry about it getting in the way. I'm a Firefox user, and have noticed that it will only launch Google in Firefox if Firefox is already running, otherwise it defaults to IE - although I'm sure it's a simple enough software fix. I had to use the software to configure the middle button to use for tabbed browsing as well as scrolling, and although it was initially a little 'heavier' than a normal middle button, I'm now perfectly used to it and have no troubles.

The back and forward button are without doubt the most useful feature - I've even configured these buttons to become volume controls when Windows Media Player is open, so I can lie on my bed and to watch films and still have a volume remote.

While I don't have much experience on wireless ranges, I can confirm that when I lie 2 metres away on my bed I can still use the mouse, which is fantastic for lazy people. :) Although if I move further than the bed (about 4 metres) I do lose the signal.

My one grievance is that the plastic on the side of the mouse has started to peel, which - while it doesn't affect the usability - makes it look less snazzy if viewed from the side. (But I can't honestly think of a time when I *need* to look at my mouse from the side, so it really doesn't bother me.)

Overall, highly recommended for anyone who needs to browse a lot of documents and webpages, search a lot and generally have a lot of windows open at once. I've had no trouble playing games with this mouse, but would say it's more specified to the worker/writer/reader than the gamer.

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will not make you an Atheist, 1 Mar. 2008
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
This book did not make me an atheist; it made me realise I have been one all along. That the God I believe in could not be further from the Judao-Christian "God" I had for so long praised; that my God is better known as "morality".

This book opened my eyes and bettered my life.

Thank you, Mr Dawkins.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2008 12:42 AM BST

Creative GigaWorks T40 Speakers
Creative GigaWorks T40 Speakers

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just 2.0, 13 Feb. 2008
I've used a Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker Setup for the last two years, but as I have a shared house and mostly use them for listening to music at my desk (as opposed to something that requires the entire room to vibrate, like watching a loud movie), I decided to try a 2.0 setup.

PROS:
I was initially hesitant, thinking I'd lose some of the immersion and quality that you get from 5.1, but am so glad I bought these, as they are more than capable of doing everything I could need them to do (from a low-level volume listening to music, to a high-level sitting on my bed watching movies). The quality is crystal clear.

Calling these 2.0 speakers does not do them justice, as they are superior to a lot of 5.1 systems, and still capable of delivering a considerable bass. Larger than I expected (they are 12" high), but this is just a sign of how much good stuff is packed in there. Highly recommended.

CONS:
Very few, but they are worth mentioning:

1) When you receive the box, you will immediately notice how heavy it is. The majority of this weight is not the speakers; it's the AC Adapter - the thing weighs a ton!
Now, that in itself shouldn't be a problem, but the way it has been designed means that - while the cable length from the right speaker to the plug socket is fine - the length from the speaker to the AC Adapter is very, very short. Essentially this means that the AC Adapter will likely have to sit on your desk, and not the floor. I have tucked mine behind my monitor.

2) As with most speakers, they are annoyingly designed with the assumption that your computer is on the right-hand side of your desk. If it isn't, you may not have much flexibility in positioning your right speaker.

3) More of a tip than a criticism. The instructions tell you to plug the speakers in the port furthest to the left. I have an X-Fi soundcard and found this wasn't the case: I needed to plug it in the third port. So if you can't get them to play, try plugging it into every audio port until you hit the right one.

Despite these criticisms, I still give it five stars because I am happy with my purchase.

Page: 1 | 2