Profile for Rob > Reviews

Content by Rob

Rob "latsot" (Middleton St George, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Classic Italy - Fedora Hat wool felt men Classic Traveller III - Size 59 cm - gris

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fit, well-made, very robust., 14 Mar. 2016
Well-made, robust, rolls up and pops back out to the original shape, fits perfectly.

The band is not as nice as it could be, but I'm very pleased with it overall.

PChero® Mini Invisible Ultra Small Bluetooth 4.0 Earbud Headset with microphone, Support Hands-free Calling For Smartphones, Perfect for Listening to Music at work, For Right Ear - [Black]
Offered by P&CStore Inc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect for audiobooks, 14 Mar. 2016
I've had difficulty finding a bluetooth headset that meets my particular requirements. I listen to audiobooks when walking and cycling about and when I'm in bed. I've never found a headset that is suitable for both until now. Most headsets I've tried are too uncomfortable to wear in bed and those few I've tried which are comfortable enough are either too quiet for outside use or the battery life is poor. Stereo music headsets are not always ideal for walking around and particularly cycling because they can cut out too much noise. I've also had a high turnover of such devices because I tend to throw them in my bag with a bunch of other stuff and keep breaking them.

This device is a good compromise. The sound quality is not fantastic, but is certainly good enough for audiobooks. It's loud enough to use outside in all but the noisiest of environments and comfortable enough to wear in bed. The battery life is long enough for my needs but they are pretty cheap so I have two anyway. I've only had to use both on overnight trips.

The headset feels very comfortable and secure to me. I often forget I'm wearing it and I've never felt as though it's about to slip out. This has not been true of any other in-ear headset I've tried.

For my particular (if slightly unusual) requirements, it's almost flawless.

Triangle Black Sculptured, Carved & Polished Pill Box / Jewllery Box / Desk Tidy with Ammonoids and Orthoceras Fossils throughout from Paleozoic Period 400million years- W 12 L 12 H 4 Cm
Offered by Maison Andaluz

1.0 out of 5 stars The box is OK but has a fairly poor quality ammonite badly glued to the lid, 12 Nov. 2015
Not at all as advertised. The box is OK but has a fairly poor quality ammonite badly glued to the lid. By "badly-glued" I mean *badly*. The glue is visible in a big pool underneath the fossil. It is absolutely nothing like the product advertised.

Into the River
Into the River

5.0 out of 5 stars Come for the activism, stay because this is a great book, 8 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Into the River (Kindle Edition)
I too bought this book because of its being banned without anything like a sensible or transparent process or realistic possibility of appeal in New Zealand.

So far, it's a great book. It's not about sex and drugs, although those things are in there. It's about bullying and damaged people. These are themes that are essential reading for young people (as are sex and drugs, of course) and it's an outrage that Family First NZ have made it more difficult for young people in New Zealand to learn about things that every functioning person needs to know.

Buy it, read it, then leave it in public for someone else to pick up. Make sure your local library has a copy. Hand out a copy in New Zealand, if you get the chance.

But read it first, because it's a great book.

Bluedio R+ Legend Version (Revolution) Bluetooth Headphones HiFi Rank Wireless Headsets Patented 8 Drivers /Line-in Mode/Mp3 Player Over-Ear Headphones Titanium
Offered by Bluedio

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 13 May 2014
I've used bluetooth headphones on a daily basis for years and have tried almost a dozen different models. These are as good as any and considerably better than most.

* The sound quality is excellent
* They are comfortable to wear, although they get a little warm after a while
* The controls are easily accessible, easy to locate and sensibly arranged.
* SD card playback is very nice to have. I listen to a lot of audiobooks via my phone. When I run out of books or my phone runs out of battery, I can listen to music on an SD card instead.
* Battery life seems excellent.
* They are nice and loud.
* The connection is very solid. I get a small amount of crackle if I'm surrounded by, say, noisy supermarket fridges, but the audio has never cut out.
* I can leave my phone anywhere in the house and walk around listening to the headphones without interruption irrespective of walls..
* They block out much but not all external noise. I like to be able to hear things like approaching cars when I'm out and about. I like to be able to hear when things like tannoy announcements on railway stations are beginning but not have to listen to them unless they are relevant. These headphones provide a good balance.
* They fold up so you can cart them around in your bag without worrying too much about damaging them.
* They don't move around much, even if you shake your head quite violently.
* They don't bleed much sound at all, even at high volume.

I've always preferred smaller and less obtrusive headsets. These ones are a little bulky to cart around and look a bit dorky. They get a little warm if worn for a long time. But smaller headphones have their disadvantages too. I've lost count of how many earbuds I've somehow lost when the headsets they were formerly connected to have been rolling around in my bag. I've managed to break some less substantial ones without giving them much punishment.

I like them. All things considered, they're the best bluetooth headphones I've ever had. If they were a little less bulky and dorky-looking I'd like them all the more but that's a small price to pay for the quality, battery life and generally sensible controls.

I say "generally" because of one weirdness. There are extra controls for SD card playback. These are not nearly as well laid out as the other playback controls. It would have been better if they'd used the standard controls for SD playback. But you can't have everything.

Highly recommended.

Quirky Mantis Multi-Position LED Task Light
Quirky Mantis Multi-Position LED Task Light
Offered by Techgadget Store

1.0 out of 5 stars Fundamentally flawed in almost every way, 11 Feb. 2014
It is not possible to use this light to illuminate a keyboard. Or, as far as I can tell, anything else.

You can't illuminate a keyboard using the clamp part in 'stand' mode because it isn't tall enough and the light isn't sufficiently diffuse. In total darkness, with the light standing on my desk right next to my keyboard, I can just about make out the top row of keys. If I stand the light on a book or something to raise it up.... I can still see only the top row of keys. And if I do anything as rash as press a key, the shockwave knocks the light over anyway. To claim that the clamp works as a stand is as gross exaggeration at the very best.

But you can clip it somewhere, right? No. No you can't. The design is such that if you clip it anywhere that might shine down at the keyboard, most of the light will be obscured by the clip itself. And then the light will fall out of the clip every few minutes anyway. Then the clip will fall off all by itself.

The only possible way to use this product to illuminate a keyboard is to have a bar passing between you and the keyboard, to which you clamp the light. Of course, this would also mean that you could neither see nor reach the keyboard anyway.

The power switch is at one end of the lamp. You can never tell which end because the lamp could be either way up. And the switch is really stiff, which means that you will certainly dislodge the light from the stand or the stand from its precarious grip whenever you try to turn it on or off.

The lamp is too focused to illuminate a room, too diffuse to illuminate anything specific and I genuinely cannot think of a single thing the clamp/stand could possibly be good for, I cannot stress that last part enough: if you get the clamp in a position that seems about right, you will certainly find that the grip obscures most of the light. And then the light will fall off anyway. And then the clip will fall off.

When you take the clamp away, the light itself rolls pretty well. My cat likes chasing it in a dark room.

If you don't have any better or cheaper cat toys, this is the product for you. If you need to see things, it would be more effective to light yourself on fire.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 USB Desktop Stand Dock Charging Sync Station (fits both versions of Note 10.1 N8000 / N8010) - iZKA® One Stop Shop For All Your Accessory Needs

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it needs to, 23 Jan. 2014
The dock is perfectly adequate. The fit could be a bit more snug, but it seems secure enough. It would have been nice if there was a hole in the base to store the note's stylus because i keep leaving it on my desk and walking off with the tablet.

It's worth noting that to charge the note through the dock, you'll need to use the charger: you can't charge it by plugging the dock into a USB port of a computer.

Leatherman Skeletool Multi-Tool
Leatherman Skeletool Multi-Tool

4.0 out of 5 stars What it says on the tin, 22 Jan. 2014
As with every multitool, think carefully about what you want it for before you buy it. This is not a replacement for a toolkit. It's not a heavy duty piece of kit. It's well-made and very solid, but I wouldn't expect it to stand up to repeated hardcore jobs. I wouldn't want to use it for long periods of time. That's not what it's for.

It's small and light and it's easy to be there when you need it. THAT is what it's for.

The knife blade is a little small and I don't like the hole in the blade that's used to open it, but those are minor quibbles. The blade is very sharp and solid as a rock.

My only other minor complaint is that the action is too stiff. It would be a bit nicer if opening it was a bit more fluid. Having said that, it's hardly a workout and I suspect it will get looser over time.

One final point: I don't know whether this was intentional, but I like it. When you close the pliers gently, they stop moving before they are fully closed, then it takes a little more effort to close them fully. This is really good for things like getting at individual wires in a rat's nest or picking up screws you've dropped down a hole, as you inevitably will.

Don't buy this if you expect it to replace your toolkit. Don't buy it if you expect to use it all day to do serious engineering jobs. But definitely buy it if you want something light and well-engineered that's to hand when you need it without riving great holes in your pocket.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 inch Tablet - Grey (ARM Cortex A9 1.4GHz, 16GB, Wi-Fi, BT, Android 4.0)
Offered by Student Discounts UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Come for the pen, stay for the performance, 2 Jan. 2013
I bought this particular tablet because it has a stylus. Most professional reviewers haven't seen the point of the pen other than for artists, architects etc. I'm neither of these things, but I find the pen immensely useful. I'm a scientist and use the tablet for taking notes, particularly when I'm reading papers or listening to talks. I prefer handwritten to typed notes because I can draw pictures to help me understand what's written or being said. I also travel a lot and find that handwriting recognition is easier to use on busy trains than the on-screen keyboard. I have found the recognition surprisingly excellent and natural.

Another novel feature of this tablet is the multiscreen feature. This allows some applications to run side by side on the screen so, for example, I can have a browser open on one side of the screen and the note taking application open on the other. This way I can easily take notes about whatever's in the browser.

The tablet performs very well. The screen is nice and the machine is very quick and responsive. It's not too heavy and is easy to hold. Some reviewers feel that the build is a little plastic and flimsy, but I don't agree. It seems solid enough to me. The battery life is excellent. I use the tablet a lot and travel a lot but I've never had to worry about the battery.

The only complaint I have is that the bundled note-taking software is not very good. It's adequate, but has a few problems. For example, page lengths are fixed, whereas I'd prefer to be able to scroll the page to the size I wanted. It would also be nice to have a post-it widget that let me scribble stuff right there on the screen. I haven't found any 3rd party apps that do either of these things well and even if they exist, they probably won't support the split screen feature.

But this is a fairly minor niggle. I like the machine a lot. I use it every day and I don't know any better recommendation than that.

IVSO® Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Aluminum Case For Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 N8010 (BLACK Keys)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great case, good keyboard, 2 Jan. 2013
I chose this product because I wanted a good, slim, light case for the tablet, with the keyboard as a good optional extra. I don't like cases that cover the entire tablet, front and back because they add too much bulk, but I'm not keen on sleeves either. This product acts brilliantly as a case: it clips onto the front of the tablet, covering and protecting the screen. It's easy to remove to use the tablet and then serves as both a keyboard and a stand.

The keyboard connects to the tablet via bluetooth quickly and without any fuss at all. It charges via USB and doesn't need a mains socket. The keys have a decent action and are very responsive.

There are a couple of slight niggles though. As another reviewer mentioned, the keyboard doesn't clip onto the tablet. It rests between a ridge above the keys and a pop-up triangle. This is fine if you have a solid surface, but isn't very stable if you only have your knees. Second, although the keys themselves are good and well-sized, they are slightly oddly spaced. I've been typing for decades, but it took me a little while to get used to it. Third, you can charge the tablet while using the keyboard, but you have to put the tablet upside down, which makes the power and volume buttons and headphone jack unavailable. I've also found this to be a little awkward on trains: as the wire is going into the top of the machine, it gets in the way in a confined space. The legends on the keys have quite poor contrast. This isn't a problem for me now I've got used to the keyboard spacing, but at first it made it a little difficult to use in the dark. Finally, the clip at the front of the keyboard gets in the way sometimes when using the keyboard at an awkward angle.

This looks like a long list of complaints, but they are really very minor problems and shouldn't put you off the product unless they are particularly important to you.

I'd have given five stars if the keyboard snapped onto the tablet, so that it was more secure when using it on my knee. But I'd have bought it just as a case even if it didn't have the keyboard.

For the price, it's hard to fault.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3