Profile for Dr. Rory J. G. Kidd > Reviews

Content by Dr. Rory J. G....

Dr. Rory J. G. Kidd (lancashire)

AQA GCSE Chemistry Student Book
AQA GCSE Chemistry Student Book
by Lawrie Ryan

1.0 out of 5 stars I rarely write such a strong negative review. The ..., 23 April 2017
I rarely write such a strong negative review.

The content in this book is detailed, organised and well laid out, but as other readers have said - there ARE NO ANSWERS FOR THE QUESTIONS.
For revision, it is imperative that pupils are able to check their answers - what would be the point of the pupils completing the tasks if they have no idea if they have done them correctly or not - very demotivating and very disappointing.

I wouldn't mind so much if this had been made clear before buying this book.

Fly London Yeddo, Women's Wedge Boots, Black Patent, 4 UK
Fly London Yeddo, Women's Wedge Boots, Black Patent, 4 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely comfortable stylish boots, 17 Sept. 2013
I love these boots - they're easy and comfortable to wear and go well with skinny jeans or bootleg. All in all, very pleased with this purchase.

A Real Boy: How Autism Shattered Our Lives - and Made a Family from the Pieces
A Real Boy: How Autism Shattered Our Lives - and Made a Family from the Pieces
by Christopher Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book!, 10 Feb. 2009
The extended title of this book suggests a depressing tale - not so! Certainly the reality of living with an autist is described but in the most upbeat way.

I absolutely loved this account. Since the diagnosis of our son in September, I have kept notes of his progress and it was absolutely fascinating to see how much of our experience mirrors this Chris and Nicky's.

My catch phrase is that autism is not an intuitive condition, so to read such vivid accounts of off the wall situations which we have lived through too was really uplifting.

I loved the style of this writing; I laughed out loud at the experience with the woman's skirt and slapping the bald man's head; incredibly we've experienced very similar. As parents of autists, we need to be able to laugh and get back into the (figurative) driving seat; this book helped me gain some perspective and put me back in control ... who wants to feel a victim?

I loved how A Real Boy brought to the fore thoughts I hadn't even realised; how I miss not hearing anything about school, how I too, hold my son by the wrist, how very powerful the words from the sibling about the condition are and the importance of participation in the school nativity, to list just a few.

One big difference between our experience with our son and the Steven's experience with David is that of DVDs. To use the Steven's metaphor; DVDs to our son are as heroin to an addict such is his obsession. So, whilst the introduction of DVDs worked well for the Nichols, in our case, I'm sure they have shaved years off my life! I can cope with hours, days ..weeks even ... of fast forwarding and rewinding Rosie and Jim and other favourites on video... but watching £14.99 DVDs shooting in and out of the DVD player for hours on end and then being used to sandpaper our walls or in place of ice skates is a direct route into orbit for me.

I loved being able to compare David's echolalia with my own son's and I appreciated the accompanying explanation - fascinating.

I thought it was extremely clever and very poignant how the parents' dreams for the future were touched upon.

I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in living with autism.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2016 4:18 PM GMT

George & Sam: Two Bys, One Family & Autism
George & Sam: Two Bys, One Family & Autism
by Charlotte Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars George and Sam - A fabulous read, 17 Jan. 2009
Dr. Rory J. G. Kidd says:
I completely agree with both the posts in "Comments". As a mother of an autistic 5 year old, this is an absolutely superb book which I read and then re read. The extremely accurate desciptions of life with an autist, in such excellent prose was refreshing in the extreme to read. I could identify with so much in the book and I was grateful for Moore's frank and honest style.

As one of the authors of "Comments" suggests, this review must surely be written by someone completely unconnected to an autist. Certainly no one with my extensive experience of smearing would feel "sickly" reading Moore's description - I felt a wave of relief that someone so capable shared the same problem.

This book is without doubt excellent and it has provided me with several new trains of thought. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone involved with looking after autists

Samsung LE32A436T - 32'' Widescreen HD Ready LCD Television - With Freeview
Samsung LE32A436T - 32'' Widescreen HD Ready LCD Television - With Freeview

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 32" LCD TV with Freeview, 17 Jan. 2009
Ordered this TV on Saturday and arrived on Tuesday. Similar to many reviewers, TV looks great, easy to set up and picture is superb .... we feel better than our 42" Sony Bravia.

However there are 2 criticisms; changing freeview channels IS slow ... and that is frustrating and also unlike with Sony, the information about the programme, doesn't come on automatically ... it feels like it takes ages to flick through the channels, especially when you have to wait to work out what the programme actually is (you can press the information button - but that isn't instant either)

These do sound petty, but I'm just comparing to flicking through on the Sony Bravia, which is so much faster and therefore pleasanter to use.