Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now New Album - Steps Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's
Profile for SFR Daniel > Reviews

Content by SFR Daniel

SFR Daniel

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Proposal to Die For (A Lady Alkmene Cosy Mystery, Book 1)
A Proposal to Die For (A Lady Alkmene Cosy Mystery, Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars A Vaguely Unfinished Attempt at a Novel, 9 April 2017
This is not a finished novel. It reads like a summary of plot possibilities that need several months of serious reworking. After the first half page, which is quite engaging, the vague description of the setting starts to send the story into a kind of vagueness. This vagueness is reinforced by the habitual use of Americanisms by the narrator and by the supposedly British characters. It is reinforced also by the complete lack of knowledge of London geography. Class issues are discussed, preached at and clumsily displayed. As a reader I can't picture where I am (which 'theatre' is it that suddenly pops into view and turns out to be where an opera was sung - for instance - does the author not know where operas were sung in London during the time this novel is set in?), nor can I sense any solidity in the main character. The author would need to sit down with all these plot points, trace them through the geography, learn to describe settings so the reader can be there in imagination, and figure out how to 'be' British and speak with a British voice. If not, why not go ahead and set it in Indianapolis? The voices and situations would have more vividness and authority. If 'cozy' detective novels mean half-baked attempts to set a tale where one has never been, then let's call them something else. Lazy. Lazy, or 'sure, that's good enough'.

Verismo
Verismo

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, dramatic sounds, 7 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Verismo (Audio CD)
Lovely voice as always.
Why has she stopped singing consonants?

áille Na áille/A Terrible Beauty
áille Na áille/A Terrible Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful album that ends with something just tremendous!, 11 May 2016
This is is a lovely, varied and thoughtful musical tribute to the beginnings of the 1916 Rising. Fellow composer Micheal O'Suilleabhain feels that Charlie Lennon's music ranges widely through all the soundscapes and emotional depths of the Irish mind, and this artistry is fully demonstrated. I enjoy all of it very much -- but I'd say for me this album is massively well worth buying if only to hear the matchless expertise of Elizabeth Cooney and Finghin Collins in the beautiful "Call to Freedom" sonata for violin and piano.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating novel, a rare experience, 13 April 2016
This review is from: Inside Out (Kindle Edition)
This is a fascinating story, told 'from the inside' of a very complex world. I couldn't put it down when I got into it, and I think of it often since I finished it. Chris Ricketts is a gifted writer who sees deeply into the human condition. I hope this is the first of many more such excellent experiences. The construction of the tale is meticulously structured; no spoilers from me here!

The Woman In Blue: The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 8
The Woman In Blue: The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 8

5.0 out of 5 stars Another delight, 13 April 2016
This series is an ongoing pleasure for me. I always feel as though I'm settling down for more time with some of my favourite friends and family. It's been about a year since I read the last one and I am newly impressed by Elly Griffiths's narrative skills. (They have always been there but they're subtle enough that the gap of a year woke me up to them again.) For instance, shifting back and forth between past and present tense from one paragraph to the next. That 'ought to' be awkward and intrusive, but in fact it is expertly done. It keeps the momentum of the story vivid, plunging me right into the events and thoughts and feelings. I always sit right down and read straight through these books. That's for one thing about the excellent characters who grow in complexity from one book to the next without losing a sense of their personal identity. But also, the writing is so good that it draws me in and keeps me there. I reread these. Now that I've traveled through this one I want to go back to the one before it to stay in touch with this interesting world.

by Chris Ricketts

5.0 out of 5 stars I hope this is the first of many more such excellent experiences., 12 April 2016
This review is from: Inside Out (Paperback)

Smoke and Mirrors: Stephens and Mephisto Mystery 2 (Stephens & Mephisto Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better the longer you read., 6 Nov. 2015
This is the second of a series. It begins with a puzzling disappearance and then winds its way through more and more fascinating complications. Excellent characters of all ages and dispositions, and the continuing characters develop their own stories believably. An excellent book in what is clearly going to be a must-read series.

East Fortune
East Fortune

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book!, 5 Aug. 2015
This review is from: East Fortune (Kindle Edition)
I bought this because I liked the way James Runcie writes his characters in the Grantchester mysteries. He has such a gift for getting inside the lives and personalities of his characters that it is like meeting a whole new world. It's so rare to find a truly gifted writer who also has a deep respect for life. I thought I would enjoy this book ; I more than just enjoyed it. I love it.

The Riverton Case (Rachel Markham Mystery Series Book 3)
The Riverton Case (Rachel Markham Mystery Series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating despite minor flaws, 22 May 2015
A fascinating tale! There are peripheral errors that do not interfere with the story: 1. A necklace cannot be encrusted with one ruby. 2. No one after the 1930s had shingled hair; bobbed maybe but not shingled. 3. A luxurious stateroom on the way to India would not have been on the starboard side - Port Outbound, Starboard Home = POSH. 4. Various American and 20th Century sounding terms (laid back, etc.) 5. Too many commas! All of that said, the plot is sound, the story fascinating, the detective an attractive person with a husband who is very supportive. I am very picky about the plots in detective stories, and this one pleases me a lot. Glad I read it.

Murder at Ravenrock (Rachel Markham Mystery Series Book 2)
Murder at Ravenrock (Rachel Markham Mystery Series Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Edit!, 14 May 2015
Interesting story in a picturesque setting. A very attractive detective team. Someone should remove 90 per cent of the commas, as they slow down the flow of the narrative,

Page: 1 | 2 | 3