Profile for J. Sheridan-ross > Reviews

Content by J. Sheridan-ross

J. Sheridan-ross "jakkisr" (Leeds, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Delia's Complete Cookery Course - Classic Edition: Vol 1-3 in 1v
Delia's Complete Cookery Course - Classic Edition: Vol 1-3 in 1v
by Delia Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars In constant use since 1983 - my kitchen bible, 2 Jan. 2009
I've been using this book since its release back in 1983 - it is the only one to remain on my shelves in constant use and the pages are falling out (especially around the cake section!). My daughter has just got her first home so I'm buying this book for her, and while its still in print, I'm buying one for my son for when he leaves too (sometime in the future!!). I just can't bear to part with my own copy!

Buy this book, you'll get the basics and develop confidence in your cooking. You can then adapt them with your own variations (eg use pura not lard!) and will easily be able to follow other cookbooks. And on a final note, the main reason this book is so good is because the ingredients are properly indexed so you can find exactly what you want. Much as I love Jamie Oliver, his indexes are appalling - I mean, if you're looking for chicken you look under c not under r for 'roasted chicken with whatever'.

Antony and Cleopatra
Antony and Cleopatra
by Colleen McCullough

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, takes a bit to get into, 11 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Antony and Cleopatra (Paperback)
I've just finished Conn Igguldens Emperor series and desperately wanted to continue the saga so I chose Colleen McCulloughs Antony and Cleopatra as a continuation. I'm halfway through reading the book and found it quite hard to get into at first. The style of writing and use of the full roman family names makes it a little heavy going in the first few chapters. I like the maps of the territories which make useful guides to stay abreast of who's 'ruling' what and where and how far they travelled. I particularly like the way the characters have developed and their fates intertwine along a very well-structured timeline.

Rockferry
Rockferry
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for winding down and relaxing, 2 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Rockferry (Audio CD)
I really like this album. I find Duffys husky voice relaxing, great for winding down at the end of the day. Sort of a 60's feel with noughties lyrics, nice.

Madrid (Lonely Planet City Guides)
Madrid (Lonely Planet City Guides)
by Anthony Ham

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of information ..., 2 Aug. 2008
I liked this book and read it before setting off for Madrid. It has a lot of information in it and gives some useful historical detail. I found it a bit difficult to use when out and about as all of the info is sectioned by barrios (districts) and as a first time visitor to Madrid it all seemed a bit confusing. I used it together with the eyewitness top 10 madrid guide and found that using them both gave me an excellent balance of info and detail to get about and see everything.

DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Madrid
DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Madrid
by Michael Leapman

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must if you want to explore, 2 Aug. 2008
Loved this book - it contains neat sections of the top 10 of just about everything to do in Madrid. Includes places to eat, drink, sights to see, places to visit etc etc. We certainly saw more of the city in 5 days than we would ever have done if we hadn't bought the book and it was quite satisfying to get back to the hotel and tick off all the places we'd been! The reviews were very brief but very accurate so we felt quite confident exploring on our own.

Spanish (Lonely Planet Fast Talk)
Spanish (Lonely Planet Fast Talk)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little pocket guide for when you're out and about, 2 Aug. 2008
I used this most days on a recent trip to Madrid where english was not widely spoken and my spanish is definitely at the 'beginners' level! Very small book, includes everything you could need for a holiday and fits neatly in your pocket so its always to hand. Includes food and drink, numbers, greetings, getting around - all the usual stuff. I liked this book because I could get it out discreetly on busy streets without looking like an obvious tourist.

Easy Spanish Phrase Book: Over 770 Basic Phrases for Everyday Use (Dover Easy Phrase Books)
by Dover Publications Inc

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful book for everyday holiday situations, 2 Aug. 2008
Nice slim book that does what it says in the title. Cheap, light, easily popped in your suitcase or bag and covers most everyday situations. Its more useful for holidays than anything else and I only really used it a couple of times as I preferred the lonely planet fast talk guide. Although its slim, it is quite 'tall' so you can't pop it in your pocket.

Complete Step-by-step Upholstery
Complete Step-by-step Upholstery
by David Sowle

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful book with great photo's, 22 May 2008
This I think is a book for beginners. It is generously sized and includes actual photographs of each of the projects being demonstrated. It doesn't contain a great deal of text, working mainly with lists of what you need then showing you exactly what to do. There is a good range of projects covering just about any seating upholstery project you might want to tackle. I particularly like the photo's showing where various tools are used (as a beginner, some of the pins and needles look rather oddly shaped to me so its good to see what they are actually meant for!). Well worth buying.

The Complete Upholsterer (Practical Guide to Upholstering Traditional Furniture)
by Carole Thomerson

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous and helpful altogether - a dream!, 22 May 2008
I can only echo what other reviewers have written. If you love textiles, you'll love this book. The history and use of old masters paintings gives a fantastic insight into how textiles have been used through the ages and the author contextualises her descriptions to upholstery projects. This book is an inspiration! I bought this book as an absolute beginner who suddenly thought she might just have taken on a project too big to start with - this book gives me all the detail I need to get started and will help me avoid mistakes. I can feel lots more projects coming along ....!

The iPod Book: Doing Cool Stuff with the IPod and the ITunes Store
The iPod Book: Doing Cool Stuff with the IPod and the ITunes Store
by Scott Kelby

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 5 Sept. 2007
if you haven't got a clue then this book is useful. Nice pics, clear explanations and some simple step by step guides telling you how to do just about most things. If you've already opened the ipod box and switched it on and downloaded a few songs then you can probably manage without the book!

Page: 1 | 2