Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Handmade Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for Nigel Buckley > Reviews

Content by Nigel Buckley

Nigel Buckley

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
TP-LINK TL-WN821N 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter
TP-LINK TL-WN821N 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Little Dongle!, 18 April 2012
I bought this to upgrade the on-board Wi-Fi on my old Fujitsu Lifebook from G to N. I had never bought any TP-Link products before this and was quite surprised at the quality feel of the casing. It looks good and feels well-made and sturdy. It installed on my XP Pro Lifebook, but I had to ignore the enclosed instructions and install the TP-Link client to get it working. (It tells you not to install the TP-Link client for XP in the instructions!) Since then it has worked perfectly. I have also tried it on my Windows 7 64 bit machine and it installed and ran without any problem on that machine. I was so impressed with the quality that, when my Netgear router died, I bought a TP-Link router too! See my other review for more details. Very impressive little dongle!! For the money you can't really go wrong with this, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Cat Mate - 235W - 4 Way Locking Cat Flap/Door With Liner - White
Cat Mate - 235W - 4 Way Locking Cat Flap/Door With Liner - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bit of Kit!, 17 April 2012
I got this to replace a cat flap I was given that didn't flap - when the cat used it, it stayed open letting in all sorts of draughts - chilly! It is extremely well made and easy to fit. The instructions were clear and concise. It also works perfectly, flapping easily either way and it keeps draughts out very nicely. The liner is a very nice touch, it makes the flap look very tidy and professional, it also makes the whole thing easier to keep clean and hygenic. I'm very pleased with the quality and would recommend this flap without hesitation. All I've got to do now is train my tom cat to use it! The female cat uses it without a problem, but the tom is a little dense!!

Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II 16 GB Sim Free Smartphone
Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II 16 GB Sim Free Smartphone

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Phone, But..., 16 April 2012
I bought the Galaxy SII to repace an aging LG phone and to replace my Archos 5 as my MP3 player. One of the main reasons for choosing this phone was the AMOLED display, it's the same resolution as the Archos 5 but I thought it would be easier to see the display outdoors. I was disappointed to discover that it's only marginally easier to see the AMOLED than the Archos's LCD display. The display is clear and responsive, but not quite as good as I'd hoped. As a music player, it's fantastic! It sounds a LOT better than the Archos and is more powerful. I had to use a headphone amplifier to get the volume and sound I wanted from the Archos, NOT with the Galaxy SII. My son recommended I use the Winamp app for playing music, but I find the supplied player perfect for my needs, it does everything I want it to and sounds good! I bought a 32Gb Micro SD card, inserted it and I can have loads of music on there, leaving the 16Gb phone storage for Kindle books, apps, photos etc.. The battery life doesn't appear to be as bad as some of the horror stories in other reviews led me to expect. I can get two days use out of a single charge, but I don't make or receive many phone calls (Mainly listening to music and receiving emails), so it's fine for my purposes. I bought an 'Extended Life' battery when I got the phone, but I can't notice any difference in battery life between that and the original Samsung battery! I found the phone easy to set up and there are loads of things to personalise it to your taste and if there isn't a way to make it do what you want it to, there's probably an app for it! I wanted to use an MP3 ringtone, couldn't find out how to do that as standard, downloaded Ringdroid and, hey presto!, MP3 ringtones - perfect! You may be able to do that as standard, but I couldn't find the setting, so this sorted it out.

All in all, a very good phone but not perfect. Galaxy SIII anyone?

What the Night Knows
What the Night Knows
by Dean Koontz

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dean Koontz Book Ever?, 10 April 2012
This review is from: What the Night Knows (Paperback)
As a long-time Dean Koontz fan I've been very slightly disappointed with some of his recent titles, but with What The Night Knows he's back to his best! I've read nearly everything he's written and this book ranks with the best of them, if not THE best. Very highly recommended read!!

BioShock (PC DVD)
BioShock (PC DVD)
Offered by Anayanka

3.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy Sound Compatibility, 5 April 2012
This review is from: BioShock (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I'd seen Bioshock advertised for a while and had to wait until it came down in price. I bought a copy, installed it, ran it and... no sound!! After emailing the game's creators, I found that because I was using my computers on-board sound, Bioshock was not compatible with my system. You need a Creative 'Soundblaster' sound card or 100% compatible, as my built in sound was not 100% compatible - no sound! It was like stepping back to the early 1990s! So I either had to buy a new sound card or forget playing Bioshock - I bought a new sound card! Was it worth the extra investment? Yes and no, it now sounds good, but it really is too demanding graphically for my poor little graphics card. Gameplay-wise it's an excellent game, quite dark and disturbing in places, but very enjoyable. I need to upgrade my graphics card to make the best of it though. Recommended game for high powered systems, but mediocre systems will struggle.

Phonedirectonline- stylus pen for samsung galaxy s2 i9100
Phonedirectonline- stylus pen for samsung galaxy s2 i9100
Offered by ONX3

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Stylus, 5 April 2012
As I have fat sausage-type fingers, I found entering text in portrait mode difficult without making many mistakes and 'pressing' two keys at the same time, so I decided to try a stylus. This arrived two days before the earliest delivery estimate and I unpacked it immediately. My first thought was that it's shorter than I expected, about two thirds the length of an average ball point pen, but it's long enough to hold and use comfortably, so not really a problem! In use, it works as well as my finger and is a lot more accurate for typing. It doesn't appear to leave any marks on the screen, so it should lessen the amount of cleaning needed, especially after eating chips! All in all, a very useful little stylus and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. If you've got large fingers, it's almost a necessity!

Duronic ST10B - 10 Way 2 Metre surge Tower Extension Lead Socket - 2M - Engineered to tell you when its surge protected
Offered by DURONIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, 31 Mar. 2012
I got this to try and tidy up the rat's nest of cables behind my computer. I'd got a 6-way and a 4-way adapter for the various bits of kit - printers, sub-woofers etc. and this combined the two and tidied things up very nicely. The reason I haven't given it five stars is it's got one thing missing that I found really irritating - it's not got a power switch! For me that's a necessity, as my power sockets are hidden behind a large bookcase and I like to kill the power to all my equipment in one go. So I had to rig up a short single-socket extension with a power switch to sort that and everything is now fine.

Samsung Battery Charger Stand for Galaxy S2 (No Battery Included) - Black
Samsung Battery Charger Stand for Galaxy S2 (No Battery Included) - Black
Offered by jem-mobile

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Little Gadget!, 31 Mar. 2012
What can you say about this? I'm really impressed with this, it's so simple and well-made, the plastic body is thick and substantial. Simply insert the battery, connect the charger and away you go! Wait for the red light to turn green and you're done. Perfect! An excellent gadget for a miniscule price. If you've got a Galaxy SII, get one of these and a spare battery, you won't regret it!

Sony MDREX310LPB Monitor Series Headphones with Noise Isolation Earbuds - Black
Sony MDREX310LPB Monitor Series Headphones with Noise Isolation Earbuds - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Earphones, 31 Mar. 2012
I've tried several different makes of earphones, looking for a pair that sounded good, were comfortable and actually stayed where they were supposed to, without having to spend silly money. Well, I think I might have found some that fit the bill at long last! The MDR-EX310LPB sound good, with good bass and clear treble. I listen to various types of music such as acoustic folk, electronic rock, prog rock, heavy metal and others. I've been very impressed with the sound of these Sony's on every type. They feel comfortable and stay in much better than any earphones I've tried up to yet. The only reason I've not given these five stars is that they were more expensive than I would have liked. I would recommend these without hesitation.

Anker® 1900mAh Li-ion Battery For Samsung Galaxy S2 II GT-I9100, Galaxy S2 II I9100, Galaxy S2 II 9100G, EB-F1A2GBU

3.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessary Extra?, 31 Mar. 2012
I bought this after reading the various horror stories about the battery life of the Galaxy SII. I installed this Anker battery instead of the original right from the start and I was very pleased to get two full days use, even with all the messing about in setting the phone up from scratch. Then I ran out of charge at an inconvenient time and put the original battery in (I'd previously charged it in the Samsung battery charger accessory!). Since then I've run the original battery and not noticed any real drop-off in usable time. So, is the Anker battery worth paying extra for, rather than the original battery? Not in my experience! It's good to have a spare battery, charged up and ready to go, but I think I'd have just bought another original battery if I'd known that the difference in battery life was so minimal.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2012 3:09 AM BST