Profile for Rosemary Hardy > Reviews

Content by Rosemary Hardy

Rosemary Hardy

Costume and Fashion: A Concise History (World of Art)
Costume and Fashion: A Concise History (World of Art)
by James Laver

5.0 out of 5 stars Laver helps Earlier Times spring to Life in Fashion, 9 Aug. 2003
This piece of work is a marvelous piece to be published under the topic of Fashion History. As it was the first book I read on my interest of the subject it thoroughly explained to me all details of society, politics, sociality, influence and many other aspects belonging to the history of Fashion. The pages are well presented with many images. Photographs, portraits, plates and many other sources. Quotations are used effectively, without disturbing the texts. There is a wonderful flow to the novel, it moves through time so concisely, it is really interesting and has lead me into the world of Fashion History with great enthusiasm.
As for positive aspects, the flow of the book, and such knowledge in the novel, one barely notices how many details enter ones memory. Generally, the texts describe the coming and development of a certain piece of Fashion, also how it appears, and how many new techniques have been formed and precisely how they were made. The only negative critisism which I can valuably make, is that not all the techniques used in costume-description were not explained, merely refered to, and as a beginner I was not familiar with the term. However, Laver has built a fine book of interesting subjects and remarks, honoured by his fine language, to build this piece of literature.
The novel is of perfect size, neither too short nor too long, I honour the talent of James Laver for writing "Costume and Fashion: a Concise History (World of Art" in such a magnificant manner, I can say that it is well recommended by me. I did not only find this novel a great entrery into this subject but I very much enjoyed reading it. Laver has used humour in some mild cases so that ironic twists noted upon in his sources have been mentioned, this also helps the reader to experience the qualities of the source (if it is a diary) and this helps that time period to spring alive to the reader.

Victorian Fashions: A Pictorial Archive, 965 Illustrations: A Pictorial Archive with Over 1000 Illustrations of Women's Fashions from 1855-1903 (Dover Pictorial Archive)
by Carol Grafton

5.0 out of 5 stars Take a peek into the Fashion World of the Victorian Age, 8 Aug. 2003
Firstly, from exploring this book it must be noted upon that this is a book of illustrations, not of descriptive texts and literature. However, within this specific topic, the book is splendid and I can highly recommend it to all who seek an intense visual peek into the Victorian age of Fashions.
As I first looked into the book I felt as though I was in this time period and looking through a Fashion magazine, honouring the splendour of one piece and the critisizing the next. It is a visual assessment which provokes thought and realisations.
When I opened the book, I was greatly excited and very eager to explore every detail of the pieces of Fashion, especially to flip the page and see what expressions of art from this marvelous Victorian period I would be beholding next.
As remarked upon earlier, the piece "Victorian Fashions" should be viewed - from my opinion - a fashion magazine from the Victorian period. However, no doubts are needed, because the book is marvelous in donating a view into the Victorian period.