Profile for Mr. J. Davies > Reviews

Mr. J. Davies

Behringer C-1U Studio Condensor Microphone
Behringer C-1U Studio Condensor Microphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mic for the price, 2 Feb. 2016
I have been using Garageband on a Macbook Pro for just a few weeks now and wanted a mic that was going to give me better results than the on board mic of the macbook. I have tried to record acoustic instruments using the on board mic but results were not great. After looking around I wanted a mic that did not require phantom power as it would just add more expense purchasing a power supply. I opted for the Behringer C-1U as it was powered from the USB which is just very convenient for me.

After reading other reviews about the low volume issues I was a little wary, however I have no issues with recording volume as I simply turned the mic input up in my audio settings to 90%. When recording my acoustic guitar from about 1 foot away the results were great and so much better than the on board mic, I tried a few vocals and again so much better than the on board mic.

Agreed that there is a little hiss at the high level but nothing that cant be filtered out with software but this still gets 5 stars from me as I have used other mics in this price bracket and none even come close to the recording quality I get from this.

*Update* After using this for over a mouth now I still have no issues with recording level. I have some noise as expected but noisegate in Garageband got rid of most of it, Here is a sample of the recording of acoustic guitar and vocals. Noisegate has only been applied to vocal tracks not the acoustic recording. [...]

Neewer 24"x24"/60cmx60cm Professional Protable Foldable Off-Camera Flash Photography Studio, Portrait Soft Box with L-shaped bracket & flash Ring, Outer Diffuser and Carrying Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant go wrong for the price, 3 April 2014
Item arrived very quickly! The build quality was much better than i was expecting for the money. I haven't used it on a shoot yet but i am sure it will do the trick.

**UPDATE**

I use the Youngnuo RF-602 triggers and had an issue as i could not move the flash forward into the box as the trigger sticks out too far when attached to the flash gun. A good workaround for me was to put my flash on sideways and twist the head 45 degrees into the box. That way i can still access the flash controls. **This is not an issue with the box but the triggers i use so still 5 stars**

Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (14.2MP) 3 inch LCD
Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit (14.2MP) 3 inch LCD
Offered by WAA Electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars First DSLR, 7 Oct. 2011
Last year i purchased a Fujifilm HS10 because i was not ready for the jump into the DSLR world but last month i felt that I was ready for the Jump. I checked reviews on almost every entry level DSLR on the market and the D3100 kept cropping up at the top of the review scores so i purchased one last month.

First impressions:

Ease of use): Camera was quite small and light and was very comfortable to hold. My first few shots taken in Auto mode just to get a feel for the process speed and auto focus. Next switched to manual to see how easy it was change Aperture, shutter speed, ISO and WB. I found that all of these options could be changed easily by pressing a few buttons and without having to dive into multiple menus.

Picture quality: The quality of images is excellent, there is little noise even at high ISO which was an issue with the HS10. The images are all very crisp and sharp (with the kit lens). I have only taken approximately 100 shots but so far but i have been very impressed with overall image quality.

Summary: A very good camera for the relatively small price tag. I have not seen anything else in this price range that is such a high spec. Very happy with the D3100 and would recommend to anyone looking to purchase a DSLR.

Case Logic DCB56 Black Nylon Medium size Camcorder size
Case Logic DCB56 Black Nylon Medium size Camcorder size

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Fujifilm HS10, 7 Feb. 2011
I got this case for the Fujifilm HS10 and it fits perfectly. There are also 2 zip pockets on the side which are perfect for spare batteries and filters. *****

Fujifilm FinePix HS10 Digital Camera - (10MP, 30x Wide Optical Zoom) 3 inch Tilting LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Fujifilm HS10, 7 Feb. 2011
I have always been interested in photography but have always owned cheap point and shoot digital cameras. After getting fustrated with the lack of control I decided to purchase the HS10 as there are more manual controls. My first few shots with the camera where pretty poor as i did not know what settings to use. After reading the manual i have found that i can get great shots using the approprite settings. I have taken a few portrait shots and they are very sharp and the tones are excellent. Reading the manual is a must if you want to get the best out of this camera. My only concern with the HS is the batteries, thats the only reason i have not given 5 stars. It is great that you can buy AA bateries anywhere but it becomes very expensive to keep replacing them. I would suggest some good rechargables. Other than that this camera has so far been excellent in all conditions, I would recommend this to anyone who wants a step up from a basic point and shoot but is not ready for the jump to an SDLR.

**Read the manual to get the best out of the HS10**
Comment Comment | Permalink

National Geographic 30mm Telescope
National Geographic 30mm Telescope

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, 7 Dec. 2009
I gave one of these to my daughter for her birthday and she was very disappointed. I could almost see things better without the telescope. It's probably worth spending a little extra on something like the Celestron Firstscope.
Celestron 76mm Firstscope
Don't waste your money.

Formula 1 2009 (Wii)
Formula 1 2009 (Wii)
Offered by EnterPlus

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any F1 Fan, 23 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Formula 1 2009 (Wii) (Video Game)
I am a huge fan of GP4 on the PC and thought i would give this a shot. Firstly as far as graphics go it's not that bad. Everybody seems to be slating the graphics but they are as good as your going to get from the Wii. When your driving at 180mph through Eau Rouge you dont really have that must time to take in the scenery anyway!

The controls work very well. It takes a little getting used to at first, but once you get to grips with the controls they work very well.

This game can be played by all as there are multiple options to make the game as easy or as difficult as you like, so even the most experienced F1 gamer will have a challenge.

The best part of the game is the career mode. Its great that you have to go and test for F1 teams before you get offered a drive. I will be playing this game for a very long time.

This game is a must for any F1 fan.