Profile for Andie de R > Reviews

Content by Andie de R

Andie de R

It's All Good: Delicious, Easy Recipes that Will Make You Look Good and Feel Great
by Gwyneth Paltrow

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite cookbook, 16 Nov. 2013
Never been a GP fan. Beautiful, rich, skinny, successful, married to a popstar, I thought "really" what have you got to complain about, why do you need to write a cook book, I thought it was going to be dreadful, I couldn't have been more wrong. I felt that her story and interest in healthy food was not only very genuine but very human and interesting. I feel this book is full of integrity and great ideas. I love the photography and the layout of the book, I know that some reviews have critised the fact that there's not an image for ever dish, I don't find this a problem. Quite frankly, Gwyneth looks amazing, better than she did in her previous cook book, which is a great promotion for cleaning up our diets. I have changed my mind completely, Go Gwynie!!
I have always been interested in nutrition as well as cooking. I was very surprised how many average and bad reviews this book has, my experience with it completely differs. It must be hard as a celebrity to put yourself up for doing something like this, as people feel they know you and are very quick to criticise, personally, celebrity aside, this book is great. I absolutely love the salad dressings, I have made at least 5 of them, they work ever time! Lee's hoisin sauce is quick, simple, delicious and a huge hit with my teenage girls, if you compare the ingredients with the chemical loaded shop bought ones, it is really very clever and no hidden nasties. I cook her many mushroom soup on a regular basis and the roasted cauliflower and chickpeas has become a staple in our house. The Sriracha chilli sauce is fantastic and adds a real depth of flavour to so many dishes and last for 6 months in the fridge. The quinoa granola is amazing, I use pecans instead of walnuts, very very tasty.
When reading the reviews there were a few fair comments, oven temperatures are all American, I look them up in the chart provided and pencil it in my book, I don't have to look them up again, it takes a matter of seconds. Measuring in cups was another thing criticised in the reviews, you can get a set of cups online and in any kitchen supplier very easily and cheaply. I think it takes a bit of getting use to as a Brit, but it is super simple. A lot of people complained about the price of the ingredients, she does use an alwful lot of maple syrup and olive oil, but you don't have to make everything at the same time, now I know which recipes I like, I prioritise and make half batches of sauces etc that only last a short time. So there are ways around it. Most of the unusual ingredients that reviewers seemed to moan about, I have slowly acquired over the last few months, so that hasn't been a problem either. I must say I have given up on the everything free baking, it's the only section I can get on with. Not a problem as I have gained so much from the rest of the book.
As for the personal criticism, quite your moaning, I know she's a celeb, and as so opens herself up for it, but really she's just a woman, a mum,a wife give the girl a break. It's a great book, full of healthy options and alternatives to many over processed modern favourites. I love it!

Miss Appleby's Academy
Miss Appleby's Academy

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable soppy rubbish!, 16 Nov. 2013
I read a lot. I read a wide variety of books and I love a good story. This is one of the worse books I have read in along time. I kept waiting for it to grip me, unfortunately it didn't! I found it very hard to sympathise with the characters and if I'm really honest found it very boring. I am very surprised it has so many good reviews, so felt compelled to write one myself hoping to spare some future readers from this predictable soppy rubbish!