Profile for Mr C J Moran > Reviews

Content by Mr C J Moran

Mr C J Moran (Romsey, Hampshire United Kingdom)

Sunder
Sunder

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very dark story with lots of raw emotion. ..., 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Sunder (Kindle Edition)
A Very dark story with lots of raw emotion....Well written as well. I was left with the feeling of wanting to read more....

The Aquariums of Pyongyang: Ten Years in the North Korean Gulag
The Aquariums of Pyongyang: Ten Years in the North Korean Gulag
by Kang Chol-Hwan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Aquariums of Pyongyang, 1 Jun. 2010
This is the third book that I have read on the subject of North Korea in quick succession, the others, being 'Nothing to Envy' by Barbara Demmick and 'This is Paradise! My North Korean Childhood' by Hyok Kang. All three have lived up to my expectations, in terms of what I am learning about this hermit kingdom. The strength of the characters that we meet in these books defies belief and Kang Chol-Hwan is no exception. I struggle to get my head around what life was really like for these totally courageous people. I suppose the problem for the rest of us living in the west is that we have only known freedom and have no concept of what it would be like to be so totally controlled by a suffocating regime and not be able to express ourselves in the way we can today.

My curiosity with North Korea continues unabated and I am already reading reviews of books that others have read to help me decide which book i should read on the subject next.

I highly recomend this book for anyone interested in learning about those who have managed to escape this totslly opressive regime!!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2014 1:19 PM GMT

Nothing to Envy: Real Lives in North Korea
Nothing to Envy: Real Lives in North Korea
by Barbara Demick

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning Read!!, 15 May 2010
This is the first review that I have posted on amazon, but I felt compelled to having listened to the audio book of 'Nothing to Envy' twice whilist driving to and from work every day for the last few weeks! I have always been fascinated and curious about how these people survive in North Korea and I simply cannot reconcile in my mind the lives of these people with the freedoms that we take so much for granted in the western world. I found myself getting involved with the people in this book such a Miran and Doctor Kim and following their stories as they risk their own lives to defect from North Korea and make a new life for themselves in South Korea. Like a previous reviewer, I finshed listening to the book and wanted to know more about these people and how they are adjusting to their new lives today. I hope that at some point in the future we do get to hear about how these brave people are getting on.

It certainly made my daily drive to work much more enjoyable, and I could not wait to hear the next installment each time i got in the car. Highly recommended!!

Gift House Int Digital UK Coin Counting Money Jar
Gift House Int Digital UK Coin Counting Money Jar
Offered by BARGAIN DEALS UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea for saving!, 30 Jan. 2010
This has proved to be a big success as far as storing loose change is concerned. Well pleased with this.

A Walk to Remember
A Walk to Remember
by Nicholas Sparks

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stunningly Moving Novel!, 23 Oct. 2003
This review is from: A Walk to Remember (Paperback)
As a male reader I found 'A walk to Remember' a very moving experience and for me the the bit where Jamie says to Landon "You must promise not to fall in love me" leaves you thinking as it obviously did for Landon at the time that there is little chance of it happening given the strained tension of their relationship.
However, as the story progresses we gradually come to realise the enormous signifance of what Jamie was telling Landon and the effect that it has on both of them especially Landon.
As with all of Nicholas's books I was completely moved by the characters and am constantly amazed at the poignancy of Nicholas's writing.

Bright Day, Dark Night: A Novel of the Adams Family Saga
Bright Day, Dark Night: A Novel of the Adams Family Saga
by Mary Jane Staples

5.0 out of 5 stars Another very enjoyable Read!, 26 Jan. 2000
Having read all of Mary Jane Staples previous books about the Adams Family, this one proved to be just as good. I feel as If I know the family personally now. All of them are such characters in their own way. And even though it is Wartime and tragedy is never far away, the Adams Family manage to keep smiling and their outlook on life is so positive as well as their ability to reach out and care for people outside of the family.
I'm looking forward very much to reading the next book 'Tomorrow is another day' which continues the Adams Family story.

Lost Horizon
Lost Horizon
by James Hilton
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very enjoyable Read!, 24 Nov. 1999
I recently bought the film of the same title on Video and watched it twice and as a result decided to buy the book. I found that I enjoyed the book just as much as the film and in common with most people I imagine, started to wonder if such a place really does exist? Ronald Colman brillantly portrays Conway in the film and as a result It was him that was engrained in my memory as I read the book.