Profile for NigelTheApocalypse > Reviews

Content by NigelTheApocalypse

NigelTheApocalypse (newport pagnell, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
New Balance 590, Men's Training Running Shoes, Blue (Blue), 10.5 UK
New Balance 590, Men's Training Running Shoes, Blue (Blue), 10.5 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased., 27 Jan. 2017
I'm not a serious runner but they seem good to me. I think they look really nice. As is often the case, trainers come in slightly smaller than other shoes so I order 1/2 size larger than normal - they fit very well and are comfortable straight from the box.

The Book of Dave: A Revelation of the Recent Past and the Distant Future
The Book of Dave: A Revelation of the Recent Past and the Distant Future
by Will Self

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for those who like clear narration, 9 Dec. 2015
Written in alternative english - a bit like a clockwork orange - difficult to read. Gave up after 50 pages or so.

Salomon Speedcross 3 GTX, Men's Trail Running Shoes, Multicolor (Black/Methyl Blue/White), 10 UK (44 2/3 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 9 Dec. 2015
Read a review that they had a slightly narrow fit - I reckon I have narrow feet, they fit me well. Nice lacing system. Waterproof.

Studio Anywhere: A Photographer's Guide to Shooting in Unconventional Locations
Studio Anywhere: A Photographer's Guide to Shooting in Unconventional Locations
by Nick Fancher

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 9 Dec. 2015
The only photography book I've read cover to cover

ContourROAM2 Handsfree HD Action Camera - Green (5MP)
ContourROAM2 Handsfree HD Action Camera - Green (5MP)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, 4 April 2014
Very pleased with my purchase - very good image quality even though I haven't used it on its highest setting yet. I like the rotating lens so you can always get properly aligned movies even if you're not attached to a level surface. The laser alignment aid is useful too. I like the shiny green colour - it is a much prettier camera than a go-pro.

It does the job but a few improvements could be made:
1. The microphone picks up a lot of wind noise (compared to gopros that are shrouded in their plastic cases)
2. Some more on-camera controls - if you want to change a setting it need to be plugged into a computer.
3. Replaceable battery - all batteries degrade over time.

Grimm Tales: For Young and Old (Penguin Classics)
Grimm Tales: For Young and Old (Penguin Classics)
by Philip Pullman

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy, vicious joy., 26 Mar. 2014
I love this book. It is a book where a farmer can give birth to a hedgehog-boy son who demands bagpipes, and shoes for the cockerel. It is a book where a man can agree to have his eye poked-out with a butter knife in exchange for a slice of bread. There's incest, love, betrayal, monsters, fairies and talking fish - "the words of a talking fish are good enough for me".

I don't much like short stories but these have a completely different grammar to the standard fare. Firstly, they are over in a trice - few stories run to more than six or seven pages and there is no superfluous description or flimflam - love, marriage and children come and go in a single sentence.

Occasionally the stories end abruptly but every single one offers an exhilarating dash across the crazy paving where literally anything can happen - so long as it involves a beautiful princess and brutal murder.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

5.0 out of 5 stars It skips along at a jolly old pace, 7 Dec. 2013
I really like this album. It skips along at a jolly old pace and is great music to run to. Some will find the vocals jarring that wheel around like a drunken ringmaster but for me they are part of the unique charm.

Aside from track 1, which sound like steam organ music, the tracks are quite samey and I can't really tell one from another but they throw in a couple of acoustic numbers which is just enough variation to keep me absolutely hooked as I sing along to the mostly indecipherable lyrics.

Crystal Castles
Crystal Castles

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for a while but far too long, 7 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Crystal Castles (Audio CD)
Crystal Castles' music is reminiscent of old 8 bit computer game music punctuated by vocals that are in equal parts angry and intense, and soft and melodic. The first 6 tracks play out really well, changing pace and tone with each track. Sadly however this album is far too long and 8 tracks follow that are mere filler and I begin to feel as if they have run out of ideas. Then follows track 15 which is a brighter and more in keeping with the first part of the album. Finally comes track 16 which is a welcome change and for the first time we hear some soft guitar.

In short, there is enough on here to make a very good 10 track album but unfortunately it outstays its welcome.

20 Pairs of Moldex Spark 7800 Ear Plugs
20 Pairs of Moldex Spark 7800 Ear Plugs
Offered by HardwareForYou

5.0 out of 5 stars They plug my ears, 30 Nov. 2013
Kooky swirly colours make them fun to wear. I think the people who said they fall out aren't using them properly - they are exactly like any other foam ear plugs.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Glow can be distracting, 30 Nov. 2013
Really torn between giving these 4 or 5 stars. They are great - small, light, bright and easy to operate while still in the saddle. My only reservation is that they are made from a translucent rubber which means they glow, quite brightly, which can be quite distracting because the front one on my handlebars is in my field of view.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3