Profile for jane > Reviews

Content by jane

jane

Selected Poems of Walter de la Mare (Poet to Poet: An Essential Choice of Classic Verse)
by Walter de la Mare

2.0 out of 5 stars Walter de le Mare Selected Poems, 25 Nov. 2011
Although I hope my Mum will enjoy reading her favourite poems, the presentation of this book was extremely amateurish----the pages were like a poor photocopy. Disappointing.

Yes Sister, No Sister: My Life as a Trainee Nurse in 1950s Yorkshire
Yes Sister, No Sister: My Life as a Trainee Nurse in 1950s Yorkshire
by Jennifer Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes Sister, No Sister, 26 Oct. 2010
Although I trained as a nurse some years later; 1969 in fact, many of the routines were relevant to me and the book brought back so many memories for me.
Omnipon and scopolomine premeds---the 'back and bowel rounds'. Thomas splints !! The main point was, that nurses in their 2nd/3rd yrs were competent and confident to manage a ward. I worry that doesn't happen now.
The scrapes we got into----one night duty, where a 2nd yr was always in charge of the ward--- the male nurses 'admitted' a 'female in labour'. The pt was a 6 ft man, with a moustache---an 'IV' taped to his arm. A pillow under his shirt. The nurse---Chris, a red head who was a bit 'dippy', admitted him !! Frequently, our coffee was laced with Frusemide or laxatives. Or a cockroach was in the saucer !! When a nurse was so exhausted on night duty----she'd pretend to be washing the floor behind the office door-----so she could sleep. Then, when the Night Sister came round--she'd open the door and wake the nurse up by banging her head !! The patients always came first and were very well looked after. Always! It would never be accepted now---but gud times.