Profile for Jason Gaston > Reviews

Content by Jason Gaston
Top Reviewer Ranking: 860

Jason Gaston "Uncle Jay" (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips Series 5000 Hair Clipper HC5440/83 with DualCut Technology Cordless Use and Beard Comb Attachments

3.0 out of 5 stars Its all a bit..............meh!!, 30 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this item looks the part it is let down by some design flaws. In performance the blade plate is too narrow for my liking and doesn't compare well to other hair trimmers I have used in the past from Wahl, Braun or Remmington. The power side of things which initially was a concern as this is a cordless/rechargeable trimmer was surprising and power wise seems to pack a decent wallop. The on off switch seems to be situated in a strange place and more than once in use I accidentally turned the unit off. I have quite thick hair and it did snag a couple of times in use with no guard on the blade resulting in quite a painful surprise. The rotating selector to lower and raise the guard for different lengths of hair seems a bit gimmicky to me and personally I would have preferred separate "traditional" guards for different lengths. Annoyingly I would have liked this option on the beard trimmer but alas this was not the case the beard trimmer comes with 2 attachments for different lengths. Moaning aside this isn't a bad set of clippers and the cordless operation really does hold a nice charge and deliver what it says on the tin. Comes complete with a carry case but again don't look too much into this it would probably crack with a stern telling too as its about as robust as a hens egg.

From Puppy to PERFECT: A proven, practical guide to training and caring for your new puppy
by Janet Menzies

5.0 out of 5 stars This book shoudl be mandatory for ANYONE looking to get a puppy. Worth its weight in gold!, 25 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With the RSPCA claiming that after the Christmas period alone approximately 3 puppies an hour are abandoned just in the UK alone training a puppy seems a task not many have the skills to undertake properly and this stems from a lack of knowledge. This book is worth its weight in gold and should be mandatory for anyone thinking of getting a puppy in the first place. I am not kidding it should be written into the law that if you are going to get a puppy you at least understand the fundamental needs to raise a healthy happy puppy. This book covers ALL the bases from the weeks leading up to actually getting the puppy right up to the young adult stages. Simple advice displayed to you in a way a friend would give you tips and advice rather than an instruction manual, written by a lady who CLEARLY loves and more importantly understands dogs and there basic needs. Of the thousands of puppies abandoned every year many of them will have been rejected for reasons this book could have easily prevented and again I repeat myself its all down to knowledge. How can you teach/train an animal if you don't understand it and it doesn't understand you? This book goes over every aspect of raising a well trained puppy with a fine toothed comb, from toilet training and general obedience, even touching on subjects of names and how important an name with impact can have on getting a dogs attention. Each section takes you though a different stage of the puppies life so you really only need to read a small section BEFORE you get your puppy and the rest is more like a instructional diary that you can read each section just before that time period arrives and be full of all the fresh knowledge you need. Full to the brim of photos of puppies and adult dogs of many different varieties this really is a MUST for anyone who has even contemplated getting a puppy. I have read this from cover to cover and learned more about dogs in a few days than in my past 40 years combined. We will be purchasing our newest family member next summer and I will be sure to read this book again shortly before as it really is a bible of puppy training.

Delonghi Nespresso Lattissma Touch Automatic Coffee Machine EN55.W, White
Delonghi Nespresso Lattissma Touch Automatic Coffee Machine EN55.W, White

5.0 out of 5 stars "proper" coffee without leaving the house., 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very impressed indeed with this coffee machine not only by its results but also by its appearance. Delonghi have opted for the much more modern looking machine compared to many companies that try to make there machines look retro, this to me is an instant plus for this machine as it matches the mood/theme for our kitchen very well. Out of the box it was very easy to set up indeed and all the instructions where clear as to how to set up and install the machine taking into consideration your water hardness levels and your specific taste/preference in coffee. We tried a few of the supplied samples and everyone who tasted them was very impressed with the quality of the product. My father in law is quite the coffee snob so to impress him it must be good. Over all very impressed with this machine and well worth every penny as the "right" coffee is worth its weight in gold.

Philips GC4520/30 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 190g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt
Philips GC4520/30 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 190g Steam Boost, 2600 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Scores well on all areas if the purple doesn't put you off, 12 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ok lets address the obvious, its pretty hard to write a review of an iron but I will do my best. Initial thoughts where decent weight which is always important in an iron and always lacking in the cheaper option. The cable reminded me of irons of old, the kind of cable you would find on a 70s or 80s electric heater or older iron and not the plastic coated efforts of recent years. On that note the cable seems to have a ball joint so it is very easy wrap the cable up for storage without fear of snapping or wear and tear. In performance the iron really does impress, First thing I noticed was how quickly it heated up ready for use (again a good measure of quality when it comes to an iron) the water reservoir is quite hard to judge how much water is inside but I generally top up before I start anyway, worthy of note this does not come with a water jug so you will need to keep your old one or use a small household jug, I dont think this is a deal breaker but slightly disappointing for an iron of this price. It has a handy safety feature that switches the heat off after short periods of inactivity (about half a minute with the plate down and longer if left/standing) it stand pretty steady on its base when not in use again something that the lighter/cheaper irons fail in. In use its steam blast was more than enough to tackle the most stubborn of jeans (you know the ones that the kids have "hung up" and not bothered to smooth out so they are creased to high heaven?) the base plate is nicely shaped so you can get into the tinyest of areas for small gaps between buttons and detail. It has a de-calc feature but we live in a very soft water area so I can't really comment on that but seams to be a very helpful feature if you do live in a hard water area. All in all as irons go this is definitely a keeper and not a "spare" that you take on holiday. Not sure about the color though I dont know why manufactures use funky colors for irons its not like its a fashionable piece of equipment is it. All in all very happy with this iron, performs very well, the de-calc tool will certainly please some people and ensure longevity of use along with the very generous 2 year guarantee. Add to that the safety cut off feature and you have yourselves a winner.

Philips HR1867/21 Viva Collection Quick Clean Juicer - Brushed Aluminium
Philips HR1867/21 Viva Collection Quick Clean Juicer - Brushed Aluminium

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes short work of fruit and veg giving a smooth juice. Nice looking unit too., 1 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having almost nothing to compare this too I am reviewing this with the eyes of a complete juicer newbie. I was initially shocked at the size of the box, I'm 40 years of age and to me a juicer was a small corrugated plastic dome that you press and twist half an orange or lemon on so this was quite a surprise. First task was to get a decent recipe for healthy juice as just fruit is very heavy on the sugar side of things, although very natural its still not actually as good for you as one might think. The unit itself is quite large as the box suggested but looks very nice indeed Phillips have put a lot of thought into the design and thankfully it doesn't look unsightly as I have no chance of this fitting in any of my kitchen cupboards. The large feeding tube is substantial enough to get a full apple in without the need to cut into pieces so was impressed with that. The juicer in operation made quick work of even chilled carrots as well as broccoli an various other fruits and vegetables. Beware though this is a juicer and NOT a blender so you will have the mush/pulp of the fruit and veg remaining. Most impressive personally was how easy it was to clean out, this was something I was not looking forward too however maybe it was because I did it straight away (while my juice was chilling in the fridge) but it was very easy indeed. A quick look at the box after having a play and it does state "easy clean" which usually is a load of old tosh but this really was easy to clean. All in all I was impressed with the speed and efficiency of this unit, the boastful 700w motor was very efficient and not aggressively loud either although I probably wouldn't be juicing before work at 5am. Almost top marks only the sheer size of the unit for me was a bit disappointing but thankfully its easy on the eye. We will definitely be using this on a regular basis.

Oreck Magnesium Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Oreck Magnesium Upright Vacuum Cleaner

2.0 out of 5 stars Good performance BUT loud, overpriced and no accesories or tools for stairs etc, 26 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Arriving in a plain brown box with no fancy photo's or advertising on the outside I instantly thought this was all about product and not gimmick. My first impression was this was extremely light for a vacuum and was surprised/disappointed that unlike any other previous vacuum I had unboxed there was a distinct lack of any accessories/nozels etc so straight away this put at a distinct disadvantage to almost every other vacuum on the market but hopefully the performance will make up for this shortfall right? I tested this on the whole house and I have to say I was underwhelmed especially given the inflated price tag. It is very loud indeed compared to our Gtech Air ram, its is nowhere near as easy to navigate around the house as our dyson dc ball vacuum, YES it does perform very well and YES it is very light indeed but this does not make up for the complete lack of utensils and the price. When you consider you would need an additional unit just to vacuum the stairs an get into corners I would have to say I would be disappointed if I paid the price for this.
Its a good vacuum but the noise, price and lack of versatility are massive drawbacks.

Sony HT-CT381 Soundbar Speaker with Wireless Subwoofer - Silver
Sony HT-CT381 Soundbar Speaker with Wireless Subwoofer - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars A hassle free alternative to 5.1 with outstanding results., 11 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will be the first to admit I was reviewing this item with a preconceived notion that it would not be up to scratch compared to my Panasonic 5.1 system as "surround sound" was the be all and end all of home theater sound.........I hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.
The box arrived and it kind of resembled a cardboard dining table/throne due to the shape, the subwoofer making up the seat and the actual sound bar making up the backrest, once opened and laid out on the floor it was considerably smaller than the boxed version but still sizable enough that it looked menacing enough. Installation was an absolute doddle, the subwoofer comes with a rubber foot which is ideal if you have wooden or laminate floor as it eliminates vibration. the subwoofer is also wireless which means you can place it anywhere in the room and as its a bass speaker it doensn't need to be placed in a specific location to get the full desired effect. The sound bar itself is very aesthetically pleasing and sat nicely underneath out 47" tv with no obstruction of view (or obstruction of the remote control receiver) once installed we tried it with a variety of different media, firstly a blu ray movie (Avengers Assemble) and I was blown away with the sound quality (i opted to turn down the sound completely on the tv as this created a slightly annoying echo) the sub woofer is FAR superior to my Panasonic one that came with my 5.1 system and the 2.1 sound was more that suitable and I really didn't feel like I was losing out on anything at all. The sound quality was breathtaking and every woosh and bang was received with a child like grin. We also tested this with some music using the bluetooth connection using my Samsung Galaxy S4, we listened to some heavy metal (slipknot v.5 the Gray Chapter) and some hard dance music (Jay Viper Digital Drome Mix) and both gave fantastic results, I found the bass a little heavy but this was easy adjusted.
All in all as a replacement or alternative to 5.1 and all the subsequent speakers and wires this was a pleasant surprise indeed. I will be the first to admit I didn't expect it to live up to what I had and maybe its the fact that my system is a few years old or maybe its testiment to the quality that sony brings to the table but this soundbar was much better than I expected and well worth the money

Polti Vaporetto Pocket 2.0
Polti Vaporetto Pocket 2.0

5.0 out of 5 stars Not too sure about the name but a very nice product indeed. 2 thumbs up, 3 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Off the bat I have to question why this product is called the Pocket 2.0? Im a fully grown man and I have never (I hopefully will never) have an item with a pocket big enough to house this product..... That being said this is a very nice item indeed. Needs some slight assembly out of the box but its litterally click click and done. Instructions are very clear JUST USE COLD TAP WATER, not disiled water, no products or bleaches etc just good old fashioned tap water. It heats up pretty quickly and gives an audible click when the light goes out to indicate it is ready to use. The handle has a safety device similar to say a grass trimmer or pressure washer, you have to click the button over so you can operate the steam. I used it on our tiled kitchen floor and was impressed at how long it keeps the water at the desired temperature without apparently reheating so essentially you could heat up and unplug if you only had a smallish job to do as the water remains at the desired temp for ages (beware of this when you eventually empty out, even after an hour the water was still hot enough to scald) performance wise It did leave a slight residue of water on the tiles but once I had shuffled an old towel across the floor it did look remarkably better than mopping alone. With plenty of attatchements for all manor of different jobs this is a very handy item to have around the house with a multitude of uses. The shoulder strap is a very handy touch indeed and the cable length was sufficient for me to tackle the whole of our kitchen floor without having to switch sockets.
All in all very happy with this item and I am sure we will get a lot of use out of it. Highly recommended.

Scholl Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi Extra Coarse Power Hard Skin Remover
Scholl Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi Extra Coarse Power Hard Skin Remover
Offered by Surelifehealth

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my rough hard mans feed feel like my 13 month old babies after less than 10 minutes, 22 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Measuring about 7 inches from end to end this was slightly bigger than I thought, comes complete with 4 alkaline aa size batteries which are easily installed via the screw off end cap, the whole device feels ergonomically very nice and isn't too heavy or too light. The pink handle has a soft rubbery feel to it and the main head is made of quite think and seemingly durable plastic. It comes with a clip off cap that protects the rotating head, the head itself is removable for replacement when this has perished that being said I think due to how coarse it is it would have some pretty good shelf life. In operation it is turned on by a silver rotating bevel separating the pink rubber from the hard white plastic, this is also plastic but again seems quite durable. I used this on my feet and on first impression it doesn't seem to be doing much at all but before you know it (keep checking) your feet will be as smooth as anything. I get hard skin build up on my big to and my heal and this got rid of it in no time at all leaving my feet feeling really fresh and smooth. I work in a factory and wear safety boots sometimes 12 hours a day and have always suffered with hard skin build up and callouses. In the past when they have gone hard I have succumb to temptation and picked them....this seldom ends well and usually ends with sore patches on my feet, this device removes the roughness and hard skin so there is no temptation whatsoever. I can not praise this enough, we have tried the ped egg and that didn't seem to have anywhere near as good as a result as this, we have also tried a device which resembles a potato peeler which generally takes too much skin off leaving more soreness. This device takes away the dead skin at such a pace that you can keep checking as to not go too far. the results are very good and welcoming indeed especially in the coming months of (hopefully) summer where flip flops and sandals are the order of the day.

Linksys EA6350 Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Gigabit Router
Linksys EA6350 Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Gigabit Router

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good performance topped off with some very helpful features/apps indeed, 8 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Linksys EA6350 Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi was easy enough to set up and the apps installed on my smartphone where straight forward. Performance wise I have yet to find any points of concern. I particularly like the option of monitoring/controlling the Wi-Fi being used throughout the house this is of particular importance in todays environment especially if you have children/teenagers living or staying with you. We live in a 3 bedroom semi detached "new build" house and we have had no issues with connection etc (even when I'm up in the loft) I have to admit this isn't the most attractive of kit and the dual antennas seem a little outdated but I suppose if it is needed to boost the signal then so be it. All in all I have very little negative to say about performance and the safety features/app make this a winner for anyone who values the safety of there children online.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20