Profile for James > Reviews

James

D'Addario EJ40 Silk & Steel Normal  (.011-.047) Folk Guitar Strings
D'Addario EJ40 Silk & Steel Normal (.011-.047) Folk Guitar Strings

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm & Resonant Strings with a Soft Tone & Feel, 1 May 2015
These strings are perfect for me. I always found that regular bronze coated strings had a sort of jangly sound, for want of a better word. I tried out a nylon string guitar but wasn't a big fan of the tone. These strings are a perfect compromise. They retain everything that I love about the steel string but with a warm, mellow quality that you would normally associate with the classical guitar.

I think the word that best describes the tone of these strings is the word 'soft'. They have a more intimate quality than regular steel strings which sound 'harsh' and 'brittle' by comparison. The bass is also a little subdued, almost like a permanent semi-muted effect; which works well in fingerstyle since the bass is present, but not intrusive. Though bear in mind that the subdued character of the bass doesn't make the guitar sound any less rich or full.

These strings also sound wonderful when strummed either with a pick or with the back of the nails, though they definitely lack that oomf when palm-muted. Generally speaking, if you're a player who really likes to dig in a lot and is after a big sound, I probably wouldn't recommend these strings. Harmonics are also less bell-like in quality and they seem to resonate a little less than regular steel stings.

Needless to say, these strings have no problem holding their tune and they also last quite well. Come on, they're D'Addarios, what else did you expect?

Silk & steel strings also have a really soft feel, which is great for playing with nails on the right hand. Often bronze coated stings can create a kind of scratching sound against a nail, these strings eliminate that sound and they also feel a lot nicer too. These strings also have a fairly low tension, which lends itself to playing in fingerstyle due to it being easier to play more intricately.

One crucial thing I would add is that the only sense in which these strings are objectively better suited to playing in fingerstyle is for the two reasons that I just mentioned. In terms of tone, a fingerstyle player might hate these strings, likewise a flat-picker might love them - it's really up to you. I absolutely recommend you try these strings out for yourself, whether you're more of a finger-picker like me, or whether you just want to try and achive a more mellow sound, they're definitely worth a try.

Jenier Bukhial TGFOP Assam Black Loose Tea 100 g (Pack of 2)
Jenier Bukhial TGFOP Assam Black Loose Tea 100 g (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh... Oh, it is good, 21 Mar. 2014
Proper tea at a very reasonable price, what more could you ask for? It's similiar in terms of character to teas that I'm used to, like Twinings Assam and other more 'lamen' teas like Tetley or PG Tips; unlike Borengajuli estate Assam, which was weaker than what I'm used to. Needless to say, it is much nicer than those teas. Would recommend to anyone who loves a good cuppa!

Nutranail 5 To 7 Day Growth 13 ml (Calcium Formula)
Nutranail 5 To 7 Day Growth 13 ml (Calcium Formula)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Fingerstyle Guitarists, 8 Feb. 2014
I purchased this to improve my nail strength for playing the guitar in fingerstyle. My nails were always breaking before, but now they are as strong as I need them to be and more. The reason for four stars is that it didn't work as quickly as advertised; it took weeks to months to achieve the strength I needed. Other than that, I recommend this product, especially for people who don't want to have 'pretty' looking nails - since the formula absorbs into the nail as apposed to sitting on top of it.

Stainless Steel Tea Strainer with Anti Slip Handles - 0.5mm Micro Filter - Black
Offered by The Tea Makers of London

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for Fine Tea, 9 Jan. 2014
I bought this filter for use with Twinings Assam tea, which is very fine. Having spent over ten pounds on this particular filter, I fully expected to have no tea slipping through the filter. Much to my dismay, this is exactly what happened. Only a little slips through mind you, but it's enough to give you pause at the end of your cup so as to avoid the foul taste that accompanies swallowing tea leaves.

I'm yet to discover whether or not there is such thing as a filter that prevents any leaves filtering through whatsoever. Perhaps it is perfectly normal to get some amount of leaves at the bottom of your cup, which would of course render my critique of this tea filter a poor one, but at the very least, consider this a heads-up on the nature of this tea filter and perhaps of tea filters in general.

Update: I purchased the tea filter on here labelled 'One-cup Tea infuser/ strainer with stainless steel mesh' and not only did it arrive the day after ordering, that being on the cheaper delivery option, but also it has done what this strainer hasn't - it strained every last bit of tea out of my cup. This renders my critique of this strainer valid, and if you are using fine tea leaves I recommend this cheaper alternative.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2016 10:37 PM GMT

Lindo Apprentice Series Mahogany Top Acoustic Guitar with Free Carry Case
Lindo Apprentice Series Mahogany Top Acoustic Guitar with Free Carry Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value Guitar - Not Just For Beginners, 3 Oct. 2012
I bought this guitar with the intention of having it as a spare, little to find it replacing my main guitar that I had actually spent notably more money on. This guitar does what is important right - it looks the part, it sounds the part, and it has excellent buiild quality. Commonplace with cheaper guitars are dodgy tuning heads, meaning that changing the tuning, or even just keeping the guitar in tune, is a pain. On this guitar, however, that it not a problem at all - the machine heads rotate smoothly and easily. Another great feature is this guitar being slightly smaller than usual means that if you are of a smaller build or are in your early teens you have a guitar that is comfortable to use whilst still providing an excellent sound. The action is also great, really comfortable to play, much more so than my previous guitar. If you are in the market for a cheaper guitar, you couldn't do better than this. Ticks all the boxes - if you're on the edge, I say go for it, you won't be dissapointed.