Profile for A VARELA > Reviews

Content by A VARELA

A VARELA

Lean vs Agile vs Design Thinking: What you really need to know to build high-performing digital product teams

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent clarification, realistic approaches to how to hybridise., 6 Feb. 2017
I've worked in organisations which have worked with all three of these approaches. Sometimes in a monotheistic manner, sometimes not. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not. What I like with this (satisfyingly concise) book is that not only does it point out the theological contradictions between the approaches, but also practical ways in which they can be combined for good results.

I usually roll my eyes when I hear someone (often in sales) say "yes we do 'x', but our own version" as it often means that they apply what's convenient and pay lip service to the rest. This book gives actionable advice on how to not only spot the weaknesses in these methodologies but how to implement them together for a better overall result.

JPod
JPod
by Douglas Coupland

5.0 out of 5 stars So what if it's full of filler?, 27 Jun. 2007
This review is from: JPod (Paperback)
Ok, so some people feel a bit put out because there are pages and pages of prime numbers and stings of $ signs with little to do with the plot...but few people I know knock the quality of the story.

If you come across a half dozen pages of prime numbers you simply just keep flipping through until you get back to the plot. It's not like you've hit a boring 20 minute monologue/dream sequence in a movie or had your experience interupted by an ad break.

I agree that this could be slimmed down to a short story. If I was buying by the page, or by the kilo I might feel hard done by, but to me what's important is that it's a good story. If the author chooses to wrap it aroudn a few giant fonts and numbers, I can't say I really care. Who knows, perhaps the inclusion of the noodle packaging or strings of $ signs added to the atmosphere?

Ok, I'm not 100% on that, but what I do know is that I read a book which was well-observed and which I found highly entertaining - and that's good enough for me.

Looking For Robbie: A Biography Of Robbie Coltrane
Looking For Robbie: A Biography Of Robbie Coltrane
by Neil Norman

1.0 out of 5 stars Very thin content for the big man, 17 April 2001
I completely agree with (what is at the moment) the only other customer review of this book. Don't buy this book. I'm just slightly puzzled that they nonetheless gave it a 5 star rating.
The first chapter involves the author writing how clever *he* is, then we have a few more chapters the content of which seems to mix and repeat what little facts are known as if they were seperate articles, not part of a book.
Then we have the film and 'Cracker' synposes. Well, I liked Cracker, and it was nice to be reminded of the stories, but for god's sake, I read this book in one sitting and could put all the Coltrane data onto the back of a beermat.
Perhaps the one good thing about this book was that that although I'd learnt next to nothing, at least the man's privacy (which he evidently holds very dear) had not been laid bare. I'd bought a book to dig things up and was surprised to find myself pleased that I found nothing.
Robbie Coltrane sounds like a man as facinating as he is intriguing. This biography (made without his help) acts as a kind of clever warning. (as if he'd said 'OK, if there's going to be a biography about me, I don't see whay I should help.'). He's a private man whose private life has certainly not been invaded by this book nor will it encourage future research.