Profile for Isobel Surridge > Reviews

Spooning with Rosie
Spooning with Rosie
by Rosie Lovell

4.0 out of 5 stars Food, Friendship & Kitchen Loving, 18 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Spooning with Rosie (Paperback)
I first read about Rosie and her Deli in an article in the Observer Food Monthly last Summer, which included a recipe for a Victoria sponge. I'd never made a proper cake before in my life but the it was one of my biggest kitchen successes to date. It was lovely and moist and so tasty, I pre-ordered her book immediately and waited eagerly for its release.

The book itself is great to read. I really love cook books that include stories about each dish as I love to flick through them so this book was perfect. I like the fact that unlike most cook books which are split into sections based on meals or seasons, this one is split into moods and occasions. It does start with a really substantial breakfast section but there's also chapters for feasts to share with friends, food to cook for a date, soul food for when you're feeling down and light bites for Summer evenings. Each chapter also has its own pudding section. The book is interspersed with pictures, stories and Rosie's own scribbles and annotations. A lovely touch is her 'munching maps' and tips, which are really helpful

I have to admit that despite having had this book for a while now, I haven't actually made very much out of it. It's not that I don't want to, but I do find that alot of it requires ingredients that may be available in abudance to Brixton-based Rosie, but are hard to hunt down otherwise. Some of the recipes also contain quite a lot of ingredients and can be time consuming. Having said that, the recipes I have tried have been really tasty and innovative. The lettuce soup with feta was lovely and cleansing, the marmalade breakfast muffins moist and moreish and the herby homemade pasta sheets were silky and delicious.

If you're looking for a cook book with a bit of a twist and a light hearted, chatty tone then this is perfect. Be prepared to have to visit a few specialist shops or order some ingredients in if you don't live in an area where they're easily available.