Profile for Penny Black > Reviews

Content by Penny Black

Penny Black (County Antrim)

Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love
Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love

4.0 out of 5 stars The story of one wonderful man's devotion to an extraordinary dog, 7 Sept. 2014
This is a book about a remarkable dog, written by a remarkable man. Oogy survived unspeakable cruelty at human hands but won the devoted love of an exceptionally kind, gentle and understanding man. Clearly, Laurence Levin set out to write a tribute to his amazing dog, but in doing so he revealed himself as a person of outstanding generosity, perceptiveness and compassion. Although I had to skip the passage about the hideously cruel activity of dog-fighting, I couldn't put this book down. One star less than 5 as I felt the book could have benefited from a good editor, but I loved it anyway and recommend it unreservedly.

Kleenex Shine Absorbing Sheets - 50 x Pack of 5
Kleenex Shine Absorbing Sheets - 50 x Pack of 5

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty useless. Contrary to its claim to 'leave your ..., 27 July 2014
Pretty useless. Contrary to its claim to 'leave your makeup intact', it actually lifts your makeup off in patches. Thank goodness I didn't use it for the first time on an important occasion! Utter waste of money.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 26 July 2014
Very pretty Morris pattern, fine china, arrived promptly, securely packaged.

Genware NEV-21483 Plate Cover, Round, Stainless Steel
Genware NEV-21483 Plate Cover, Round, Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - a stainless steel plate cover!, 18 Feb. 2014
I've been looking for one of these for ages, but could only ever find aluminium ones - sometimes misdescribed as stainless steel - but you can't fool a dishwasher. This is the real thing. Sturdy, easy to clean. Keeps food hot for a surprisingly long time. But - this is not a criticism - it's just the right size for a 10" plate, if you want to have a little rim showing, with which to pick it up.

Goldline A4 Drawing Pad, 90g, 50 Sheet Pad
Goldline A4 Drawing Pad, 90g, 50 Sheet Pad

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality paper at a reasonable price, 15 Feb. 2014
I buy this paper for my 11-year-old niece who loves to sketch and paint with water colours. She gets through a great deal of paper, most of it ordinary printer/copy paper. Whenever I present her with a new Goldline pad, she gets very excited and hugs it rapturously before setting to with her pencils. I can't say what a professional artist would think of it, but it's excellent for artistically minded children.

Sleeping with Dogs: A Peripheral Autobiography
Sleeping with Dogs: A Peripheral Autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book about dogs - ever!, 15 Feb. 2014
A friend gave me this book as a present. I've always admired Brian Sewell, but had no idea that he liked dogs. Having warmed my bed with a comforting canine for many years, I found the title immediately appealing. I expected to enjoy this combination of dogs, with Sewell's wit and beautiful prose, but it exceeded my expectations. I'm now reading it for the second time. Witty and humorous, it often made me laugh aloud. Perceptive and elegantly written, I often stopped to re-read a passage, for the sheer pleasure of it. But what impressed me most about this book was the fact that Sewell succeeds not only in making the reader understand his love for each of the dogs - he makes us share that love. The vividness and detail of his memories of each of them are so remarkable that we encounter them as individuals with all their funny, endearing, odd, exasperating peculiarities, and finally we too mourn the deaths of Penny, Ginny, Jack, and so on. By the time you finish the book, you love each and every one of Sewell's dogs, and very probably you will, like me, have fallen in love with Sewell himself.

About Giraffes
About Giraffes
by Nadine Rhinedorf

1.0 out of 5 stars £1 PER PAGE!, 11 Sept. 2013
This review is from: About Giraffes (Paperback)
This publication contains so few pages that it can barely qualify as a book. There are in fact precisely 11 pages of text. Each page has a chapter heading, followed by three or four sentences and a photograph. The information provided is very elementary. It was bought as a birthday present for a little boy who loves giraffes. To avoid disappointing him, I'll have to buy one of the other books on the subject.

Yarrah Dog Food Alu Cup Organic Chicken Chunks 150 g (Pack of 14)
Yarrah Dog Food Alu Cup Organic Chicken Chunks 150 g (Pack of 14)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 30 Oct. 2012
I have been searching pet shops for this product ever since Tesco stopped selling it a few years ago. As I only eat organic food myself, and since dogs depend on us to do the best for them, I think it's only right that I should give them the best food available. My three dogs love this product. It smells delicious, is packed full of meaty chunks, and is good value for money. It's good to know it's healthy too.

Percy The Park Keeper - The Classic Collection [DVD]
Percy The Park Keeper - The Classic Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Percy the Park Keeper
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 15 Jan. 2012
I bought this DVD for my grand-nephew, on the strength of the reviews here at Amazon, and enjoyed it so much that I'm ordering a copy for myself. The stories have just enough suspence to be exciting, but with comfy, reassuring happy endings; the animation is delightful; and Jim Broadbent is the best narrator of children's stories in the world! But beware! You'll be singing the catchy title music for the rest of the day!

Buccaneers [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Buccaneers [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

3.0 out of 5 stars When is an adaptation a travesty?, 1 Sept. 2007
This is a visually ravishing, well-paced and faultlessly acted production. The American girls are every bit as beautiful, charming and captivating as they ought to be. The costumes are gorgeous, the country houses are sumptuous, the landscapes are delightful. There are enough stars in the cast to form a veritable constellation, and every one of them gives a fine performance, most notably perhaps in the supporting roles - Sian Phillips, Rosemary Leach, the late and deeply lamented Dinsdale Landen, Cherie Lunghi, Greg Wise, the magnificent Jenny Agutter and the incomparable Michael Kitchen, to name only those that spring immediately to mind. Altogether a most enjoyable production.
But Edith Wharton would have turned in her grave. It is true that she died before completing the Buccaneers, and that she merely sketched out a conclusion, which (given the revisions her other work underwent before publication) might or might not have been used, had she lived. But anyone familiar with her other work would know that there could be no 'happy ending'. Wharton was concerned to explore the human capacity for heroic self-sacrifice and for stoical acceptance of Life's disappointments and blows (eg. The Children, Age of Innocence). It would have been on Laura Testvalley's deliberate abandonment of her one chance of happiness, in order to help the lovers elope, that Wharton would have focussed. There would have been nothing so grossly sensational (or convenient) as Adina's suicide, the Duke was not homosexual (this is explicitly made clear in the original fragment), and as for Conchita's urgent need for a loan from the young Duchess, it was in fact for an embarrassing debt; indeed it is clear from Wharton's novel 'Summer' that she viewed abortion with abhorrence.
It is a pity that a production team who have obviously been at such pains and expense to ensure the accuracy of the period detail in such matters as costume, carriages, furnishings and the like, are content to treat the substance of the work and the essential views of the author in so cavalier a manner.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2013 3:33 PM GMT