Profile for trundler > Reviews

Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008]
Mamma Mia! The Movie [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 2 Jan. 2009
Before the release of this film at the cinema I wasn't sure this film could work at all or whether it would have the success it has had. I had seen the show in London a few months earlier. Would it translate well onto the big screen? Double Oscar winner Meryl Streep and one of the best James Bond actors in Pierce Brosnan? Also it is a film with Abba songs. Would it be well received, as they have taken quite a bit of stick down the years.

Well, my concerns were not justified, as this film clearly translated well, had some solid performances and was lapped up by Abba fans and also it seems alot of non Abba fans.

The film has been tweaked in certain places to accommodate the move to the cinema. There is the odd bit missing here and here and there, but nothing that is to the detriment of the film.

Meryl Streep, (Oscar winner for Kramer vs Kramer and Sophie's Choice) was not who I expected to be in this role. I just didn't think it would would work. I can happily say I was very wrong, as she embraces the role entirely, is clearly having so much fun, and to my amazement, she actually has a half decent singing voice.

Pierce Brosnan seemed an odd bit of casting to me, but fair play to him for taking it on. It actually worked very well. I know alot has been said about his singing voice, but he probably would have got more stick if they had used somebody elses voice. Very brave I thought. I wouldn't focus too much on that though, as the key to this being such a great film is that it isn't taken too seriously.

If you just watch this and enjoy it for what it is. A fantastic feel-good musical, with some amazing scenery as the backdrop and some of the best pop songs ever written you will enjoy it immensely, and it won't take you long before you are singing along!!

Finding Nemo (2 Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2003]
Finding Nemo (2 Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Albert Brooks
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic, 2 Jan. 2009
For anyone who has never seen this film, I highly recommend it. It is the mark of great cinema when you can watch and re-watch a film, not get bored and still find new things every time you watch it. Finding Nemo is one of those films.

The makers of this film wanted to transport the viewer to a magical underwater playground, where anything seems possible, and they succeeded! The time and hard work that clearly went into producing this piece of work makes it nothing short of spectacular. The colourful backdrop to the story is just a joy to behold.

The casting was clearly inspired as there is not a bad performance to be found, in particular Albert Brooks who plays Marlin (Nemos dad), doing a wonderful turn as a loving/concerned/slightly over-protective parent. Ellen DeGeneres as the adorable Dory, the fish with a very short memory, is fantastic, and has some great comedy moments throughout. However, for me, the show stealer has to be Bruce, the great white shark, played immacculately by Barry Humphries (AKA Dame Edna Everage). The voice he uses for the role fits the character perfectly. Also, a special mention to Willem Dafoe and Geoffrey Rush who both excel with the roles they are given.

Plot wise, it is a very simple but effective and touching story of a single parent who loves his son (a son who wants to experience everything the underwater world has to offer) and wants to protect from getting hurt, but when Nemo is captured Marlin starts off on an adventure that will take him halfway round the world, and shows how much courage he has and just how much he loves his son.

An animated epic!

WALL-E (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
WALL-E (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Burtt

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, 2 Jan. 2009
Ok. I know this film wasn't everyones cup of tea, (the overall pace may put some people off) but for me this was a wonderful film, and once again Pixar push the boundaries in animated film. They have created another artistic masterpiece (albeit a slightly cold and lonely looking future vision of earth). There is a long period of time where there is hardly any dialogue. For me, this wasn't a problem as I don't feel there has to be talking to tell a story. My attention was grabbed by the bleak animated world created by Disney Pixar, and the way wall-e interacted with his environment and Eve. I feel it is a very clever film-maker that can produce a film that has hardly any speaking and still grab the attention of the critics and the cinema-goers. The film definitely makes it point about waste/recycling well without losing sight of being entertaining at the same time. My girlfriend was particularly impressed with the reference to the space litter, and felt it was good that they had put that in the film. If anything I did feel the film meandered along a little bit halfway through, but this is a minor point, and I felt it got back on track strongly very well.

Is the film worthy of an oscar nod for best picture? I feel it is. I am not sure it would win but in my opinion this is the best work that has been produced by Pixar. Beautifully created, funny, thought provoking in parts and a great central character. It would be excellent if this animated gem could follow in the footsteps of beauty and the beast and be recognised for what it is at the academy awards.

Overall a wonderful film that was a joy to watch.

Yes Man
Yes Man
by Danny Wallace

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I said yes!, 1 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Yes Man (Paperback)
I had not heard of this book till a few months ago. Then a friend recommended it to me. Thought it sounded like an intriguing idea, so I nipped out to the bookshop to pick myself up a copy. Simply, could not put the book down till I had finished it. It just drew me in from start to finish. Absolutely loved it. It was laugh out loud funny, (I had to try not to laugh too much on the bus) at times it also made me cringe when Danny was in certain situations. I was sitting there reading and thinking please just say no this time...just this once! I also found it quite thought provoking, and it made me think about the times where I just dismiss things straight away and say no. I know several people who have read this book after I recommended it to them, and they all loved it. One in particular who decided to say yes and do something he had been putting off for so long. Simply put, I am glad I said yes to this book.

P.S. I Love You [DVD] [2008]
P.S. I Love You [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Hilary Swank

2.0 out of 5 stars Very close to one star., 1 Jan. 2009
This review is from: P.S. I Love You [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I would like to start by saying I have no problem with "Chick Flicks". It is nothing to do with me being male that I didn't really care for this film. I have many of this type of film in my dvd collection. I have not read the book either, so I thought I would probably like it, as I didn't have anything to compare it to. Sadly, I was wrong. I am a big fan of Hilary Swank, (particularly million dollar baby) but felt this was one of her weaker performances. I didn't see any real chemistry with any of the characters in the film. I also didn't really think much of Gerard Butlers performance either, and this has nothing to do with any possible bad accents. I guess overall, I just didn't care about the characters, and once that is the case, a film has just lost me. However, I do know alot of people who have this film on dvd and love it, so it is all personal taste.