Profile for Sergeant Fury > Reviews

Logitech M185 Wireless Mouse - Grey
Logitech M185 Wireless Mouse - Grey
Offered by Korifiya Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little mouse, 16 Feb. 2016
Great little mouse. For a great price.
Just plug in nano receiver (which is small enough to leave in USB port) and away you go.
Works with Windows 10
Sweet

Fintie Fire 7 2015 Case - Slim Fit Folio Premium Vegan Leather Standing Protective Cover Case for Amazon Fire 7 Tablet (will only fit Fire 7" Display 5th Generation - 2015 release), Black
Offered by Fintie EU

2.0 out of 5 stars I bought 2 of these cases, The purple one ..., 14 Feb. 2016
I bought 2 of these cases,one for my wifes Fire 7 & one for mine, The purple one I got for my wife's was just as I wanted but the black one was different, There was no hole for the speaker, so sound was not as loud & muffled. Also the straps around the edge were in the wrong place & covered the headphone input. I have returned this one, it would be at least a 4 star product if it was as the pictures on Amazon (or as the purple one!)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2016 8:37 AM GMT

The Clash - Singles [Box Set]
The Clash - Singles [Box Set]

5.0 out of 5 stars 'It's time for the Doctor Goebbels Show', 6 Feb. 2016
I've had the single disc version of this album since it came out (& being a clash fan was all ways a 5 star affair) but I was cynical about the necessity for a box set which on paper is the same album but packaged as a box set with original single sleeves etc.
My son bought me this for Christmas & I must admit that (even though I gave him heartfelt thanks) I was sceptical about my needs or enthusiasm for the said box set.
I write this review because my cynicism was unjustified (for me!) and I was blown away by some of the extras that are available.
The singles have all the different mixes etc (some not available elsewhere).
One such track is the original (Flexi-disc NME cover disc) of Capital Radio, which I had on the 10'' vinyl version of Black Market Clash back in the day. The energy & intensity caught my breath (as it had originally) but it is the opening lyric for me that sums up the Clash more than any other song/lyric:

'It's time for the Doctor Goebbels Show'

Awesome; political/historical statement, indictment of radio at the time, and their influence on us. Strummer wrote so many lyrics that are classic but I hadn't realised the clarity & message of Capital Radio before! and this was a song that wasn't an A side or album track! (A later recorded version is on the 'Cost of Living' EP, also within the box set)

5 Stars without doubt! (now after listening again!)

& His Soulband
& His Soulband

4.0 out of 5 stars Alex from his Hamburg days, 13 Nov. 2015
This review is from: & His Soulband (Audio CD)
An interesting document of early Alex from his Hamburg days, really worth a listen if you're a fan or otherwise.
The track listing shown by Amazon is incorrect though, they show the listing of the other album by the same name (confusing!) the track listing is:

1-The liverpool Scene
2-Shout
3-What's Wrong With Me Baby?
4-Reelin' and Rockin'
17-Tutti Frutti
18-You Ain't No Good To me
19-You Are My Sunshine
20-You've put a spell On Me

Strangely it's cheaper to buy from America, so if you don't mind the extra wait order from there!

Pure ONE Elite Series II Portable Stereo DAB/FM Radio - Black
Pure ONE Elite Series II Portable Stereo DAB/FM Radio - Black
Offered by Direct savings

5.0 out of 5 stars Great VFM portable stereo DAB, 1 Oct. 2013
Great little stereo radio, that when allied to the battery pack (sold separately), gets used all round the house, garden, work etc. I've got the lead for linking my ipod, which is a bonus, creating a mini jukebox of my music collection for portable usage.

The rudimentary Listen Later works OK but the radio needs to be plugged into the mains and there is a limit to amount recorded. The sound quality is good but don't expect extra high volume or booming bass, I think it's adequate. If the radio was more expensive these would be problems but at this price I think it's good value for money.

The Clash 5 Studio Albums Box Set
The Clash 5 Studio Albums Box Set
Offered by roundMediaUK

5.0 out of 5 stars All The Old Punks (New Remasters and Box Sets), 18 Sept. 2013
As other reviews have said, great remastering.

The first (eponymous) album & Give 'Em Enough Rope, being more raucous don't benefit as much from the overhaul. Some tracks fare better than others, Police & Thieves, Garageland and Stay Free, Julies Been Working For The Drug Squad respectively, are ones that spring to mind as benefiting most.

The later albums (London Calling, Sandinista! and Combat Rock) are somewhat of a revelation, with a crispness & clarity of sound that was missing from the 1999 remasters, bass clear, separation of instruments clearly audible and percussion noticeable that previously was scrambled in the mix.

I like the packaging which replicates the old vinyl albums, I prefer to listen to whole records (as i did with the originals), London Calling for instance, I'd listen to the first disc then maybe something else or have other things to do. The double album on the one disc was a bit too long for my liking, the same goes for Sandinista!

The lyrics on the inner sleeves are a welcome addition but the type is very small, even with reading glasses I struggle a bit, my eyes aren't what they used to be!

What with this and the 'Hits Back' collection (for (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais, Clash City Rockers, Bankrobber, This is Radio Clash, Complete Control and Armagideon Time), I feel all my Clash remastering needs are covered.

My sons gained out of this as well, he's now got the 1999 remasters!

The Clash Hits Back
The Clash Hits Back

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm only looking for fun..., 16 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Clash Hits Back (Audio CD)
As others have said, I was sceptical about the quality or necessity of yet another remastering of all the clash material.
I purchased this to sample the quality before deciding whether to shell out on the box set (not the sound system, I can't justify spending £100 and I'm a bit old for badges, posters, etc).
Not all tracks immediately struck me as vastly different, London Calling sounds very similar to the 1999 remaster to me (although superior at lower volumes), but most leap out with a crispness & vitality previously missing. It's almost as if the sound has been polished clean with elements being heard that were inaudible before.
Tracks that benefit most are the not so raucous ones, like Bankrobber, Train In Vain, Ghetto Defendant, Guns Of Brixton and Armagideon Time. The mighty (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais deserves special mention, it's worth the price just to hear this one track sparkle like it should, with bouncing bass, ringing treble and high hat splashing.
The benefits of this album are that if you buy the £30 box set then you won't get the aforementioned 'White Man' or Bankrobber, This is Radio Clash, Clash City Rockers, Complete Control and Armagideon Time, so you've got the remasters of those. Also I like the fact that I can play tracks (like a playlist) from a cross section of albums etc, I know I could do this on my ipod but the sound from the CD over my system is superior (and I prefer to listen to CDs at home).

All in all a good purchase which has revitalised my passion for 'the only band that matters'
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2013 8:25 AM BST

Snapshot
Snapshot
Offered by Great Price Media EU

4.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Judge An Album By Looking At The Cover, 14 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Snapshot (Audio CD)
The cover pic of four cherub faced youngsters might have people thinking that the content of the album may be light weight and poppy. That couldn't be further from the truth!
This is a really good high octane R'n'B offering, gritty & raw, played with a maturity that belies their years. Although nothing groundbreaking or really original they've a velocity & intensity of delivery that is inspiring for a 1st album, and bodes well for future offerings.
Covers of 'I Can Tell' which, although not as good as Dr Feelgoods cover is really good (Wilko's guitar sound & Brilleaux's vocals are a hard act to be compared to!), 'You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover' and Nick a Lowe's 'Heart Of The City' are dealt with extremely well. Self penned tracks suffer little by comparison, all in all a thoroughly good listen!

Hello
Hello

5.0 out of 5 stars Never been trendy..., 16 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Hello (Audio CD)
Status Quo have never been trendy, I love them for that.
Hello for me is the best Quo album you can buy, all killer and no filler as they say. I first bought it on tape (remember them) back in the day when it first came out, it still sounds fresh today and I still play it regularly, albeit the CD version!.
By 1973 they had developed their formula and refined it to perfection. From the insistent rhythm of Roll Over Lay Down, through classic rock/pop single Caroline, touching on country style rock of Claudie to the expansive 4500 Times and all bases between.
Blue Eyed Lady deserves a mention aswell (great Alan Lancaster track) but there are no tracks that have me reaching for the skip button.
Best played turned up to 11 ...

All Through The City (with Wilko 1974-1977)
All Through The City (with Wilko 1974-1977)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Feelgood Factor, 11 Jun. 2013
The intensity & bark of Lee Brilleaux, the manic crisp choppy guitar of Wilko, knitted together by a rhythm section as tight as a ducks proverbial. Awesome stuff.
Where are the bands today that are as intense and brutal in their simplicity, we need another Dr Feelgood now, to kick the X Factor/Pop Idol mediocrity into touch and inspire a new generation of acts once more.
Here's hoping...