Profile for Alex (no relation) > Reviews

Content by Alex (no relation)

Alex (no relation) (MAIDSTONE, england)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Light Switch Timer - Mains Lights Retro Fit No Wiring Police Approved Security Digital Wall Timer Switch
Offered by Switched On Products

4.0 out of 5 stars Mind the door, 18 Aug. 2016
The product works well, but sadly the light switch to be used is right next to an inward opening door, and the unit is wide enough so that the door would foul it. My fault, I should have thought of it and done some measuring: so be careful, other potential purchasers. I had previously contacted Switched On Products about another matter, and their reply was instant: their customer services seems to be excellent, so I would have expected a full refund had I requested it. However, I have a somewhat cumbersome work-round, so I'll keep it.

Space Eye 70 M
Space Eye 70 M

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not great with my hands, 23 July 2015
This review is from: Space Eye 70 M (Camera)
As a complete novice, I can only agree with the only other reviewer (so far). I'm not great with my hands, but the instructions were pretty clear and I put it together OK. I haven't actually looked at anything apart from my neighbour's chimney (clouds, so far), but tracking seems to work well and the image is clear and easily brought into focus. Stand is stable.

Little Cry Baby (Pink) - Adult Mens Fancy Dress Costume
Little Cry Baby (Pink) - Adult Mens Fancy Dress Costume

5.0 out of 5 stars just the job, 23 July 2015
Pretty good and pretty cheap for a last-minute fancy dress costume. Made of synthetic material, so could get hot, but we weren't expecting cotton that that price. Also suit (fairly broad) ladies. For info and backup in case someone else has the same problem : there was a mark (ink?) on the bonnet, but it didn't show.

Steepletone 2 Band Dorset Retro Styled DAB Radio - Black/Beige
Steepletone 2 Band Dorset Retro Styled DAB Radio - Black/Beige
Offered by Digitalis Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, even with unwanted retro stying, 14 Feb. 2015
This radio pulls in a lot of DAB stations (in my area, anyway), has a reasonable sound, goes quite loud, and doesn't seem too heavy on batteries (although there are a lot, which makes the unit heavy). I use it exclusively with batteries and have noticed that when they run out, the unit goes a bit haywire. This is not a problem: just replace them. Another caveat for owners: care needed with water: While I've had no problem using it in a bathroom, I have lost one of the presets, probably as a result of pressing it with wet fingers (the water run inside)
It's probably the retro styling that produces such a big unit, and there are a number of facilities (like the tuning dial) that I will never use. However, this is still a bargain DAB, and looks like the best of the bunch currently available for battery use. I just wonder what Steepletone could get the price down to with a stripped down, modern unit.

Tracks [DVD] [2013]
Tracks [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Mia Wasikowska
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong woman goes walkabout, 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Tracks [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This is the travelogue they failed to make in 1977 (actually, it seems that Robyn Davidson was quite publicity averse, as well as pretty attractive, in real life, so they got much of that right): not much happens, and there's a lot of stunningly bleak and beautifully filmed scenery. Then the film ends.

Dallas Buyers Club [DVD]
Dallas Buyers Club [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew McConaughey
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Mumblecore, anyone?, 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Dallas Buyers Club [DVD] (DVD)
If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the film. There's some fine acting here from McConaughey and (especially) Jared Leto, not to mention (spoiler alert: I'm going to mention it) extreme dedication from both actors in changing their body shapes to fit the requirements of the plot. But when are modern filmmakers going to realise that mumbled dialogue, although "realistic", interferes with audience understanding of both character and plot. McConauchey's Texas drawl is especially incomprehensible.

Memento [2000] [DVD]
Memento [2000] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Guy Pearce
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy, watch, and watch again., 7 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Memento [2000] [DVD] (DVD)
One of the all-time greats. I've watched it 3 times, and come to a different view of the events each time. I expect a different perspective next time, too.

The Man in Black: The Definitive Collection
The Man in Black: The Definitive Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Every collection should have one, 7 Feb. 2015
Good selection, about what I expected. No distressing cuts or fade-outs that I noticed. Unlike some others, the bleeps on Boy Named Sue did not upsetme - after all, that was what I am used to from the single.

House of Marley Headphones with 3 Button Mic - Exodus Harvest
House of Marley Headphones with 3 Button Mic - Exodus Harvest

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Tonto, and no expanding headband., 7 Feb. 2015
It would appear that every example of this headphone is old stock - no adjustment on the headband. I've sent a second pair back (to different providers). To be fair, it has been easy to send them back and get a refund, but its all hassle.

20 Golden Greats
20 Golden Greats
Offered by A2Z Entertains

3.0 out of 5 stars Wichita, Galveston and..., 17 May 2014
This review is from: 20 Golden Greats (Audio CD)
not much else. Even Rhinestone Cowboy has been played to death. And why include a live track in the middle of the CD? That said, Glen is a good interpreter of the weird and wonderful Jimmy Webb, but even some of his songs fall into the mawkish category. The interpretation of some of the songs would have been better left to the originals. Good value, if you like this kind of thing, and about what I was expecting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6