Profile for L. W. Newton > Reviews

Content by L. W. Newton
Top Reviewer Ranking: 518

L. W. Newton "lwn83" (Nottingham, U.K.)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Monster iSport Victory In Ear Headphones - Black
Monster iSport Victory In Ear Headphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound quality and fit, poor cable., 7 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I prefer in ear type headphone for their fit and size, also sound quality is very important to me.

Firstly these Monster iSport Victory headphones come in a very nice box (a big marketing ploy nowadays) but I'm more interested in the actual goods inside the box.

The headphones look fairly well made, they have a cast metal body with all other parts plastic, one thing I don't like are the flat cables that Monster have equipped these headphones with, these are notorious for fracturing as I know from previous experience of other item with flat cables, I much prefer a round cable. The cable is also equipped with a volume/play-pause control on the left hand monitor, this looks a little vulnerable to me but time will tell.

Monster recommend that you try all the silicon tips for a perfect fit, the one I found fitted best for me was the large, once in these headphones fit tight and don't move around due to the silicone ear hooks, they also block out most of the noise around you which can be either a bonus or a danger. The tip of the headphone actually swivels very slightly to allow for movement.

Onto sound quality and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised, I tried these with my Fiio E17 Alpen DAC/headphone ampFiiO E17 Portable Headphone Amplifier and USB DAC via the USB socket on my phone, listening to Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon 2011 remaster(320kbps MP3), the detail is crisp without being overblown, bass is good and vocals stand up well, treble is clear without being harsh. I did try the headphones in the headphone socket of my phone (Android) whilst sound is good it lacks any gusto, this is most likely inferior quality of the phones built in amp/dac. The remote does not work with Android and is Apple specific. These headphones get LOUD, very loud on the Fiio but retain the clarity without distortion.

I compared these Monster iSport Victories to my usual Ultimate Ears Triple Fi Pro'sUltimate Ears Triple fi 10 Earphones - Metallic Blue , Ok so I am comparing a mid priced headphone to a top budget one, surprisingly the Monsters have more bass than the UE's but can't keep up when it comes to shear clarity and performance. The other advantage of the UE's is the replaceable cable, why don't more manufacturers do this?

Monster have supplied these headphones with a little storage bag and several tips and ear supports but no adaptor for 3.5mm plug to 6.25mm plug, I know most people don't use 'proper' audio anymore but it's always nice to have just in case.

So, overall I like these headphones, they are a snug fit get for sports which they are primarily aimed at, they are also a good headphone for general use, I have my doubts on the flat cable but time will tell.

Excellent pair of headphones at a reasonable price.

JUSTOP BTR006 Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Audio Receiver With 3.5MM Jack, Universal Adapter For Speakers, New Module with Bluetooth V2.1 A2DP profile
Offered by DigiDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple set-up and does the job intended., 15 Feb. 2015
I got this tiny Bluetooth receiver to use at work to stream audio from my phone to a Aiwa unit via it's Aux input function and it works fine.

The JUSTOP unit is simple to pair with any Bluetooth device and can be used for headphone or as a Aux device, it's also great for portable speakers that don't have Bluetooth built in. This device is charged via a USB port or in my case a mains USB charger, I'm using an old Nokia charger that has a USB output, charging time is a claimed 3 hours but took longer. Build quality looks a little flimsy but for the price paid I'm not complaining.

I got around 8 hours use out of the device before having to charge it for the first time, I'm hoping it will last a little longer next time.

There is no volume controls on this device, you use the volume control on your phone/tablet, the power button doubles up as a pause button if needed.

Included with the JUSTOP device are a short 3.5mm socket to 2 phono plugs (used for connecting to an AUX input on an audio unit) a 3.5mm to 3.5mm extension socket (used for connecting headphones).

First impression of this device are very good, the sound is crisp and clear with good range.

Simple easy set-up and does the job intended.

Nikon COOLPIX L31 Compact Digital Camera - (16.1 MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7-Inch LCD - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for beginners..............and great shots to boot., 8 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This little camera has all the features some of it's bigger bothers have, but does it take quality photos ?? My first impression are yes indeed it does.

This Nikon COOLPIX L31 is next to the bottom rung in Nikons line up and is priced very well, it's main area being a 'first' camera or introduction to digital photography.

This camera is very compact and feels a little slippery in your fingers I would have preferred a slightly rubberised grip , the build quality looks fine and buttons operate with a positive click. Whilst the screen is not the best around in terms of resolution it does the job.

Nikon have aimed this camera at the novice and simple menus and shooting modes reflect that, it is uncomplicated and simple to understand, but being a keen photographer I can understand the functions with the need for instructions which unfortunately are just a single fold out sheet of paper and are very limited which could be a problem for the beginner.

This camera runs on AA batteries which in my opinion is a great move, they are available anywhere, I would however suggest you get the lithium typeBattery, Ultimate Lithium Aa 3+1 Free cells as Nikon claim these will last for upto 700 shots compared to standard alkaline cells that last around 200 shots. This camera requires a memory card too, you can use SD, SDHC or SDHX these are cheap to find and I got a 16gb micro SD card with adaptor card for around £6.Integral 16GB Class 10 45MBps UltimaPro SDHC Memory Card - Frustration Free Packaging

This camera takes great photos, I left it in full auto mode to see what the results were like and bang for buck it's very good value. You can dig deeper into the scene positions and select the correct one for shooting conditions, handy if the camera is having problems selecting the correct scene. The flash is adequate. The modes are Auto, Auto scene, manual scene selection, selective colour , small portrait. In the manual scene selection modes are - Close-up(macro) - Food - Fireworks - Back lighting - Pet Portrait - Portrait - Landscape - Sports - Night Portrait - Party/Indoor - Beach - Snow - Sunset - Dawn/Dusk.

There is also a simple one button video recording function with 720p picture quality, again making using this camera as easy as possible.

This compact camera have a 5x optical zoom and also digital zoom, this is a bonus over smart phones which the majority of only offer digital zoom, using the zoom is quick and accurate, focusing is also fairly quick.

Overall this Nikon L31 is a great little camera, ideal for beginners or a child's introduction to photography.

In the box......

Tacwise 18G 50mm Brad Electric Nail Gun
Tacwise 18G 50mm Brad Electric Nail Gun

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and well made electric brad gun., 23 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Electric brad / nail gun looks the business, it comes in a blown plastic case that also looks the part and is also good quality.

Onto the tool itself, firstly this nail gun is fairly large, being a cabinet maker I am familiar with compressed air nail guns, but these are limited as dragging a compressor around with you on site is not practical, so this Tacwise has an advantage that it is powered from the mains.

The quality of the gun looks good, there's no rough edges or things loose that should not be, I particularly like the idea of the mains switch and green LED to indicate that the gun is live and ready to use, the tool also has a belt hanger, 4 meters of cable is supplied on the gun.

Tacwise supplied a pack of 35mm brads with the gun for testing, using some pieces of scrap18mm MDF I set about loading the tool and test nailing them together, the Tacwise put the brads in with a reassuring thump and the brad heads were slightly below the surface of the MDF, this is idea for filling later and avoids the need for punching the heads down by hand, there is no variable power setting on this nailer. This nail gun is a two handed operation with the palm of one hand on the top of the gun and the other gripping the handle and operating the trigger.

This gun will not fire if it's not held down to a work surface, this is a standard safety feature of any nail/staple gun, but essential in removing the idiot factor either in the work place or around the house, safety is always a major concern with these tools as they can be extremely dangerous in the wrong hands.

I can see this gun coming in very useful for skirting, architraves and also stitch fixing(using nails and glue together) there are also uses around the garden with fencing coming to mind. A variety of brads are available in stainless steel, useful outdoors and plain steel, lengths of 30 - 50mm are available.

A good quality tool from Tacwise that should last some years to come.

De Vielle DEV766531 Next Generation Rechargeable Hot Water Bottle Heater Pink
De Vielle DEV766531 Next Generation Rechargeable Hot Water Bottle Heater Pink
Offered by QPC Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the cost, especially for those who have difficulty with 'standard' hot water bottles., 2 Jan. 2015
Got this hot water bottle for my Mum for Christmas, she suffered a stroke 5 years ago and has problems keeping warm, she is also disabled, so any aid that reduces or removes risk is welcome.

This bottle is simple to use, plug it in using the special charging unit, leave for 10-15 minutes and it is toasty warm but not scalding hot, unlike a standard hot water bottle than can be filled with scalding hot water resulting in burns to the user. The De Vielle bottle stops heating when it reaches 60c by means of a thermostat and the LED on the charger goes out.

The other plus to this 'bottle' is the fact it is completely sealed meaning no annoying leaks that could potentially lead to scalding.

This bottle has a nice velour feel to it and looks well made.

This bottle cost nearly 3 times the cost of a standard hot water bottle but removes all the risks associated with standard hot water bottles, which can't be a bad thing especially were the infirm are concerned.

Kong Squirrel for Cat
Kong Squirrel for Cat
Offered by BuyAllMeans

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret squirrel................not for long., 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Kong Squirrel for Cat (Misc.)
More of a gerbil that a squirrel, this toy comes complete with a tube of extra strength Kong cat-nip, simply put a small amount of the cat-nip in the toy, I opted not to fill the toy, and watch your moggie play. Our cat is not normally bothered about cat-nip but this is different, very different, she almost ripped the toy apart the first time she played with it, and has played with this 'squirrel' since, it only takes a waft under her nose and shes away, not bad for an 11 year old!

The toy itself looks well made and should stand up to the test, the toy is also a good price and is delivered free!!

Black Halogen Task Lamp- Kingavon
Black Halogen Task Lamp- Kingavon
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple desk lamp., 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Black Halogen Task Lamp- Kingavon
Got this lamp for my Dad as a Christmas present, he uses these lights in his shed for close work and also drying small lacquered items as these lights give off some heat.

The lamp is a 12 volt 20 watt G2 halogen capsule and replacements are easy to find.10 x 20 Watt G4 Halogen Capsule Lamps Light Bulbs 12 Volt 2 Pin Dimmable

The light is bright, it has a heavy base(containing transformer) and simple on/off switch, the lamp head is extendable and the angle adjustable. Remember NOT to drop anything metal across the extendable arms, these are basically radio aerials that carry the LOW voltage(12volts AC) to the bulb, this will result in short circuit.

Overall a decent little light, perfectly suited to a desk top or work shop, they tend to last ages, just remember the lamp gets rather hot in use.

VonHaus Double Arm Cantilever TV Wall Mount Bracket with Swivel and Tilt- for 32"-55" LCD LED Plasma Flat Panels - Heavy Gauge Reinforced Steel
Offered by Domu UK

4.0 out of 5 stars A good bracket, shame about the supplied bolts/fixings., 30 Dec. 2014
We have had our TV on a wall mount for some years now, but having had new units we wanted to get the TV further off the wall because of viewing angles and the TV being sighted in between two units.

This cantilever brackets looked just for job and at a good price, it arrived quickly and in one piece with all the fittings being present.

First impressions when unpacking this bracket are it is of a reasonable quality and it is heavy, one thing I did notice was the front plate not being parallel with the back plate, this must be checked when fixing to the wall and is easily adjusted.

I used the old bolts from our previous bracket for fixing the 'hooks' to the back of the TV as I knew they were the correct length, we also used our own fixings to the wall, anchor bolts are my preferred method and give a very strong fixing, I did not use the supplied bubble level as I prefer the level I have as I know it's accurate.

To fix the bracket I removed the front plate for easy access to the bolt holes in the rear plate, then fixed the rear plate making sure it was level then bolted the front back onto the cantilever arms, again making sure this plate was level then lifted the TV onto the bracket, the TV simply hooks onto the front plate and it is then kept in place by two bolts that you have to tighten up to hold it secure, again I put the level onto the top of the TV to make sure it was truly level, to someone with a trained eye (joiner) I can see when something is not level or plumb, it's one of my pet hates really.

This bracket allows the TV to be pulled away from the wall up to around a foot or so, it also allows for the TV to be tilted by 5 degrees, which in our case is adequate. The outward adjustment is very tight but I'd prefer this than it being loose and sloppy, at least the TV will stay in place.

Just one problem with this bracket is the fittings/fixings, they are not the best of quality, my advise would be go out and buy some good quality wall anchors to fit this bracket to your wall, especially if you have a large TV to mount. Our TV is only 32" and this bracket is a little overkill really but I'd sooner be safe than sorry.

I had one minor problem when connecting the plugs back into out TV, the network cable plug was a little awkward to get in due to the front plate on the bracket covering it slightly, the rest of the HDMI plugs were easy.

This bracket serves it's purpose and is a bargain at £12.99, it's quality is fine but forget the supplied fixings.

Kerbl Scratch Furniture Ambiente, 96 x 87 x 100 cm, Black
Kerbl Scratch Furniture Ambiente, 96 x 87 x 100 cm, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Cats like it, but they didn't have to assemble it!!, 19 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all, the courier left this rather large and heavy box(27kg) propped against our from porch door outside( we were NOT in), good job it wasn't raining then. Secondly I noticed the box was damaged, which is never a good thing.

So I unpacked this cat furniture to find one of the tops damaged, the very top section with a groove in had been impacted and being chipboard had split, luckily I managed to glue the damaged section fairly successfully.

So onto assembly, here's the crunch bit, the instructions are neither clear or helpful, the usual diagram drawings that at times are a little confusing and parts are not labeled. The cams that hold the tops in place have no location arrow and have to be lined up to fit, you realise this when trying to put the unit together, a torch is also needed to see what you are doing under the top section. The instructions also give the impression that the felt for the tops is cut to size, in our case it was not, we had to cut the felt to size ourselves. In the end it took nearly two hours to complete the full assembly of the unit.

Once assembled this cat furniture is smart and fairly stable and looks smart, it actually fits quite well in with our other furniture.

Do our cats like it you ask?? Well yes, they actually love it and have even used the 'house' at the top, but whether I would want to pay £120 for this cat furniture is another story and the other question is how long will it last.

Supa-Fix APX4 Ultra Strength Adhesive and Reinforcing Filling Powders
Supa-Fix APX4 Ultra Strength Adhesive and Reinforcing Filling Powders

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPER glue, 19 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used super glues in the past, it's never really left me full of confidence that the bond will last.

After trying this glue from Supa-fix I have changed my mind, this glue actually sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.

I tested this glue on a plastic handle on a drill case that had cracked, I wasn't expecting this glue to stick but stick it did and has done so ever since.

This glue is different to other 'super' glues, you get two coloured powders (black and silver/grey) that can be used as a filler and also reinforces the bond, the glue sets in just 7 seconds and sets hard, hard enough for drilling and screwing into !! The glue can also be sanded and painted over.

As with all super glue this Supa-Fix will stick skin very quickly.

I can help but wonder if other coloured powders will become available in future.

This is a must have glue for keeping in the cupboard, you never know when you may need it, but when you do it will do the job no problem,

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20