Profile for L. W. Newton > Reviews

Content by L. W. Newton
Top Reviewer Ranking: 523

L. W. Newton "lwn83" (Nottingham, U.K.)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Duke of Delhi Bombay Mix Chocolate Bars Gift Pack 480 g
Duke of Delhi Bombay Mix Chocolate Bars Gift Pack 480 g

5.0 out of 5 stars A strange combination that works very well, ideal present for the chocoholic., 21 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This chocolate is strangely tasty, anyone would think combining chocolate with bombay mix would be a disaster but it is definitely not.

There are six 80g bars within the wooden presentation box, 3 milk and 3 dark chocolate each has it's own unique flavour.

Flavours are

Cardamon & Vanilla (Milk)
Indian Cinnamon (Milk)
Orange (Milk)
Lime (Dark)
Toasted Coconut (Dark)
Delhi Mix (Dark)

The flavours are not massively overpowering, but are there and the chocolate is very high quality in both milk and dark bars, the Indian Cinnamon is one of my favorites as it has a slight spicy taste to it. The orange milk chocolate is also very pleasant and leaves a nice after taste from the Bombay mix. Cardamon and Vanilla for me is a strange one, is OK but I struggled to taste the vanilla.

Dark chocolate is my chocolate of choice, and this Duke Of Delhi chocolate is very nice indeed, the first flavour tried was Lime, strangely refreshing with the zesty lime and the spicy bombay mix combining very well. The coconut flavour is another winner for me, the coconut is very subtle but this is complimented by the dark chocolate well. The 3 bar is a plain dark chocolate but with the added bombay mix, this bar has a spicy after taste but is not overpowering in any way.

You can also buy these bars individually from the Duke Of Delhi web site.

All the bars are very high quality chocolate and well presented, I also read with interest on the wrappers that 7% of the profits from this chocolate go towards saving the habitat of elephants, how many other chocolate manufactures do that?

The box would make an excellent gift and is different, I think this set is good value for high quality chocolate.

GEM Camera Case for Sony Cyber-shot HX60, HX60V
GEM Camera Case for Sony Cyber-shot HX60, HX60V
Offered by GEM Bags & Cases

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Case for Sony HX60, 6 Jun. 2015
Got this GEM case for my new Sony HX60 camera.

This case looks decent quality, the camera fits snug and doesn't rattle around in the case.

The front pocket is ideal for storing extra batteries and memory cards, I have got 2 batteries and a spare memory card in mine easy.

A over shoulder strap is provided and the case also has a belt loop.

Good quality case at a decent price.

AEG AT7800 7 Series Digital 2-Slice Toaster - Stainless Steel
AEG AT7800 7 Series Digital 2-Slice Toaster - Stainless Steel
Offered by Diystore

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a toaster.....................with a countdown timer., 6 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A toaster for the modern age, this AEG actually has a count down timer that tells you exactly how long your toast will take, great for those that in this world of rushing around like maniac will come in useful.

This toaster looks fairly well made, I did however notice a couple of scratches on the rear of the toaster that looked as if someone had tried to rub them out with a fine sand paper or wire wool ! The other thing to mention was the lack of instructions in the box, now I know you don't have to be the brain of Britain to work a toaster but basic instructions would be nice.

We replaced an old electronic Morphy Richards toaster that had served use very well for a number of years, the AEG is just as good but does lack a beep at the end of toasting that the Morphy Richards had.

As with any toaster using it is straight forward, just select the desired browning level (using the up/down arrows)and away you go, you can stand and watch the countdown timer or go about your daily business until the toast is done, there a 7 browning levels to choose from. This toaster will go into sleep mode, this display will go off after a couple of minutes of not being used, this is fine but we always unplug the toaster after use anyway. This toaster has defrost and a browning rack setting too.

The stainless steel finish on this toaster is very nice but is a finger print magnet and requires regular cleaning, the mains cable is also rather short.

A good toaster but I feel it is over priced, the countdown timer is a bit of a gimmick to me too.

LG Urbane Smartwatch
LG Urbane Smartwatch
Offered by Fone-Central

4.0 out of 5 stars It looks like a watch, but is a whole lot more., 30 May 2015
This review is from: LG Urbane Smartwatch (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not being a massive watch fan but being a nerdy tech head this 'watch' looked interesting to say the least.

The watch itself is neatly presented in a nice box and this smart watch actually looks like a regular time piece but if you like slim watches then this LG smart watch is a little chunky. The watch is fitted with a nice black leather strap with white stitching, the strap can also be replaced with any regular strap of you choice.

In the hand this watch is quite heavy, but on the wrist looks the part, I have large wrists so a chunky watch looks fine.

I put this watch on charge and was surprised how quick it charges up, around 45 minutes is all it takes.

Setting this watch up has been a bit of a nightmare, firstly my aging Sony Xperia SP phone hand a few issues connecting to the watch, this was cured by reading some online forums and tweaking a few setting on the phone this resolved some of the issues, once connected to my phone you can use the Android Wear app to change the watch face, download useful apps and so on. The watch does still disconnect randomly from the phone, but by turning the watch on and then back on this is resolved.

The display on this watch is stunning, colours are bright and text is clear and easily readable (and I wear glasses!) The watch faces are simply fantastic, there are very basic faces right though to multi function faces, I have downloaded an app called Weather Time this has a digital watch face complete with a 3 day weather forecast, brilliant! Notifications are also shown on screen for text message and missed calls, you can also answer a call using this watch but you will have to talk into your phone, and you can make calls from this watch but again have to use you phone to talk, yes strange I know. Text messages can be sent from the watch, with either set message or a dictated message.

LG have also built in WiFi on this watch, this means the watch will stay connected to the cloud when a WiFi access point is available nearby as long as it is open.

Ask Google is another good feature of this watch, just say 'Ask Google' and then say what you are looking for and up it comes on the watches screen,

I've also managed to use this phone combined with my Poweramp App on my phone, download Poweramp remote (89p) this then enabled my to have complete control over all the music files on my phone, this display on the watch also shows album art too. You can also upload MP3s to this watch and use Bluetooth headphones with it, although this watch has only 4gb of memory.

This watch is also great for fitness as it has a built in app (Google Fit) that tracks your heart rate, how many steps you have walked and personal goals. This watch also feature a stopwatch, agenda planner, alarm. There is also a neat little 'Find My Phone' function, great for us oldies. Google Maps is also available on this watch but I have not yet got it to work.

Now onto the downside.........battery life, this watch will make it to the end of the day when fully charged over night, but start using apps heavily and it may not make it, also the Google feature seems a little hit and miss, it seems to be randomly disconnected for some reason, this could again be my phone playing up.

So, overall I like this watch it is strangely addictive and friends have shown interest in it too, just imagine having this watch on your wrist 10 years ago? The screen on the watch is bright, clear and easily read, the OS is responsive and quick and there are lots of options in the way of apps on Google Play Store from stunning watch faces to simple calculator apps, OK these watches are expensive and you have to justify to cost for what some see as a gimmick but they really do have a use, in fact several uses.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Breath Co Fresh Breath Dry Mouth Lozenges - Mandarin Mint, 72 Pieces
The Breath Co Fresh Breath Dry Mouth Lozenges - Mandarin Mint, 72 Pieces

3.0 out of 5 stars It's the aftertaste...........yuk., 10 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I suffer from a very dry mouth due to medications I take and having seen these lozenges I gave them a try.

Firstly the box they come in is big and has a dispenser, there are only 72 lozenges in the box all individually wrapped.

I usually chew sugar free gum at work to relieve dry mouth so these would come in useful instead of the gum, but when first trying them I found they tasted OK at first but left an unpleasant aftertaste which I did not enjoy at all, maybe this is the sweeteners or the zinc gluconate that is also in the product. The product is 'mouth wetting' but this is due to the Sorbitol sweetener. Each lozenge is a small square that looks very much like an indigestion tablet.

There is also a lot of blurb on the packaging promoting how good this product is, I also read that excessive consumption of these lozenges can cause laxative effects, that's true with most sweetener based products, the recommended dosage is 7 a day or every 3-4 hours.

Personally I think these lozenges are expensive and the aftertaste is something that I don't like, I can by gum cheaper and the gum is also good for my teeth, these lozenges are destined for the med cupboard and will probably stay there.

Thermometer
Thermometer

4.0 out of 5 stars Temp reading., 12 April 2015
This review is from: Thermometer (App)
Limited in accuracy, but this is down to device not the app, as described in the app most phones/tablets do not have an external temperature probe, so outdoor reading are taken from online info.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good portable drive., 12 April 2015
I got this portable USB Blu-Ray drive due to the failure of 2 internal drives in my laptop, both of these were good makes (Pioneer & Sony) but both failed after a year or so.

This drive from Samsung is light and portable though it does feel a little flimsy, it is USB 2.0 so not as quick as a USB 3.0 drive but my laptop does not support that.

The drive is simply plug and play and takes power from the USB socket, it reads discs very quickly the only discs it slows down on are Blu-rays I think this is due to the larger files on a blu ray disc. I use PowerDVD for playback and the picture is smooth without any jitters, audio is also good too.

This drive will write Blu-Ray discs and a large variety of other formats too, I use Image Burn for writing to discs, A single sided ( Aone 25gb) is written at 4x speed which is adequate for my needs, the discs play fine on a stand alone player.

This drive can also be used as a media player when plugged into the USB socket of you TV or even tablet, this feature I have yet to try.

I have not installed any of the software supplied with the drive, I already have the software I need on my laptop to use this drive to it's full potential.

Overall I'm pleased with this drive, it's does what it says on the tin and it relatively quick the only criticism really is that the drive looks a little flimsy, but this can be said for any slim drive on the market.

Ultrasport Secure Guard Pro Ready Hunting Camera - White LED,
Ultrasport Secure Guard Pro Ready Hunting Camera - White LED,

4.0 out of 5 stars Great wildlife camera and supplied with ALL the kit needed., 5 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A camera with a difference, I have seen these cameras used in wildlife programs and always loved the idea of being able to photograph wildlife without disturbance/intrusion.

I received this camera and could not wait to set it up facing our bird feeder to see exactly what birds visit our table, firstly setup is fairly simple, batteries are supplied and also a 16gb Micro SD card with an adaptor, this is a rather unusual as most camera suppliers don't supply a memory card in the package well done Ultrasport!!

You can simply switch this camera on and leave it, it will takes photos when ever a heat source(body heat) is in range of the PIR sensor you can adjust the sensitivity of the PIR to avoid false triggers.

I was surprised at the results this camera has given, we have lots of different species of birds visiting our garden, some of the usual suspects (Wood Pigeon, Doves, Blackbirds, Gold Finches) and some more unusual birds ( Black Cap, Coal Tit, Green Finch) we have also recorded foxes at night on our lawn and some hedgehogs wandering around hopefully eating any slugs and snails!

Picture quality is fairly good, I set the camera to 16 megapixel, the top quality setting for the camera and was surprised at the sharpness of the photos taken. This camera also records video when triggered, you can alter the length of the video recorded and also the quality, it will record full HD video but this will impact on memory usage and is only 15 FPS, 720p records at 30 FPS. If the memory card gets full the camera can be set to 'cycle recording' this will erase images from the beginning of the recording session.

I found the battery usage rather heavy, the supplied batteries lasted just a week with all 8 installed but this could be the way I have set the camera up (HD 720p, Full 16mb resolution) and a host of false triggers due to windy conditions. I have replaced the batteries with Lithium type AA batteries and I'm happy to report they are still going well to date.

Night images are black and white and appear a little grainy but are usable, the images use the infrared LEDs built into the camera, you can choose between using 19 LEDs or 40 LEDs.

Images can be viewed on the built-in colour screen, menus are simple and user friendly, a bigger screen would be welcome. Simple switches are provided for on-off, camera/video ,amount of LEDs used(19/40) and GPRS. The backplate to the camera holds a second set of batteries for longer run time.

This camera is simply strapped to a fixed point or left in any position the user desires, great for getting some unusual shots. The camera is fully waterproof and can be left out in any weather, the backplate MUST be fitted to the camera to keep it fully waterproof.

This Ultrasport camera has a unlimited number of uses, mainly being wildlife and security but the sky is the limit, everything needed to get up and running is supplied with the camera. I also see with interest that a solar panel can be used to charge rechargeable batteries, meaning this camera could be left for months without interaction.

I would like to see the price come down but this is a rather niche camera.

A camera with a difference, 4 stars here.

Monster iSport Victory In Ear Headphones - Black
Monster iSport Victory In Ear Headphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound quality and fit, poor cable., 7 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I prefer in ear type headphone for their fit and size, also sound quality is very important to me.

Firstly these Monster iSport Victory headphones come in a very nice box (a big marketing ploy nowadays) but I'm more interested in the actual goods inside the box.

The headphones look fairly well made, they have a cast metal body with all other parts plastic, one thing I don't like are the flat cables that Monster have equipped these headphones with, these are notorious for fracturing as I know from previous experience of other item with flat cables, I much prefer a round cable. The cable is also equipped with a volume/play-pause control on the left hand monitor, this looks a little vulnerable to me but time will tell.

Monster recommend that you try all the silicon tips for a perfect fit, the one I found fitted best for me was the large, once in these headphones fit tight and don't move around due to the silicone ear hooks, they also block out most of the noise around you which can be either a bonus or a danger. The tip of the headphone actually swivels very slightly to allow for movement.

Onto sound quality and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised, I tried these with my Fiio E17 Alpen DAC/headphone ampFiiO E17 Portable Headphone Amplifier and USB DAC via the USB socket on my phone, listening to Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon 2011 remaster(320kbps MP3), the detail is crisp without being overblown, bass is good and vocals stand up well, treble is clear without being harsh. I did try the headphones in the headphone socket of my phone (Android) whilst sound is good it lacks any gusto, this is most likely inferior quality of the phones built in amp/dac. The remote does not work with Android and is Apple specific. These headphones get LOUD, very loud on the Fiio but retain the clarity without distortion.

I compared these Monster iSport Victories to my usual Ultimate Ears Triple Fi Pro'sUltimate Ears Triple fi 10 Earphones - Metallic Blue , Ok so I am comparing a mid priced headphone to a top budget one, surprisingly the Monsters have more bass than the UE's but can't keep up when it comes to shear clarity and performance. The other advantage of the UE's is the replaceable cable, why don't more manufacturers do this?

Monster have supplied these headphones with a little storage bag and several tips and ear supports but no adaptor for 3.5mm plug to 6.25mm plug, I know most people don't use 'proper' audio anymore but it's always nice to have just in case.

So, overall I like these headphones, they are a snug fit get for sports which they are primarily aimed at, they are also a good headphone for general use, I have my doubts on the flat cable but time will tell.

Excellent pair of headphones at a reasonable price.

JUSTOP BTR006 Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Audio Receiver With 3.5MM Jack, Universal Adapter For Speakers, New Module with Bluetooth V2.1 A2DP profile
Offered by DigiDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple set-up and does the job intended., 15 Feb. 2015
I got this tiny Bluetooth receiver to use at work to stream audio from my phone to a Aiwa unit via it's Aux input function and it works fine.

The JUSTOP unit is simple to pair with any Bluetooth device and can be used for headphone or as a Aux device, it's also great for portable speakers that don't have Bluetooth built in. This device is charged via a USB port or in my case a mains USB charger, I'm using an old Nokia charger that has a USB output, charging time is a claimed 3 hours but took longer. Build quality looks a little flimsy but for the price paid I'm not complaining.

I got around 8 hours use out of the device before having to charge it for the first time, I'm hoping it will last a little longer next time.

There is no volume controls on this device, you use the volume control on your phone/tablet, the power button doubles up as a pause button if needed.

Included with the JUSTOP device are a short 3.5mm socket to 2 phono plugs (used for connecting to an AUX input on an audio unit) a 3.5mm to 3.5mm extension socket (used for connecting headphones).

First impression of this device are very good, the sound is crisp and clear with good range.

Simple easy set-up and does the job intended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20