Profile for L. W. Newton > Reviews

Content by L. W. Newton
Top Reviewer Ranking: 549

L. W. Newton "lwn83" (Nottingham, U.K.)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Breath Co Fresh Breath Dry Mouth Lozenges - 72 Pieces - Mandarin Mint
The Breath Co Fresh Breath Dry Mouth Lozenges - 72 Pieces - Mandarin Mint

3.0 out of 5 stars It's the aftertaste...........yuk., 10 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I suffer from a very dry mouth due to medications I take and having seen these lozenges I gave them a try.

Firstly the box they come in is big and has a dispenser, there are only 72 lozenges in the box all individually wrapped.

I usually chew sugar free gum at work to relieve dry mouth so these would come in useful instead of the gum, but when first trying them I found they tasted OK at first but left an unpleasant aftertaste which I did not enjoy at all, maybe this is the sweeteners or the zinc gluconate that is also in the product. The product is 'mouth wetting' but this is due to the Sorbitol sweetener. Each lozenge is a small square that looks very much like an indigestion tablet.

There is also a lot of blurb on the packaging promoting how good this product is, I also read that excessive consumption of these lozenges can cause laxative effects, that's true with most sweetener based products, the recommended dosage is 7 a day or every 3-4 hours.

Personally I think these lozenges are expensive and the aftertaste is something that I don't like, I can by gum cheaper and the gum is also good for my teeth, these lozenges are destined for the med cupboard and will probably stay there.

Thermometer
Thermometer

4.0 out of 5 stars Temp reading., 12 April 2015
This review is from: Thermometer (App)
Limited in accuracy, but this is down to device not the app, as described in the app most phones/tablets do not have an external temperature probe, so outdoor reading are taken from online info.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good portable drive., 12 April 2015
I got this portable USB Blu-Ray drive due to the failure of 2 internal drives in my laptop, both of these were good makes (Pioneer & Sony) but both failed after a year or so.

This drive from Samsung is light and portable though it does feel a little flimsy, it is USB 2.0 so not as quick as a USB 3.0 drive but my laptop does not support that.

The drive is simply plug and play and takes power from the USB socket, it reads discs very quickly the only discs it slows down on are Blu-rays I think this is due to the larger files on a blu ray disc. I use PowerDVD for playback and the picture is smooth without any jitters, audio is also good too.

This drive will write Blu-Ray discs and a large variety of other formats too, I use Image Burn for writing to discs, A single sided ( Aone 25gb) is written at 4x speed which is adequate for my needs, the discs play fine on a stand alone player.

This drive can also be used as a media player when plugged into the USB socket of you TV or even tablet, this feature I have yet to try.

I have not installed any of the software supplied with the drive, I already have the software I need on my laptop to use this drive to it's full potential.

Overall I'm pleased with this drive, it's does what it says on the tin and it relatively quick the only criticism really is that the drive looks a little flimsy, but this can be said for any slim drive on the market.

Ultrasport Secure Guard Pro Ready Hunting Camera - White LED,
Ultrasport Secure Guard Pro Ready Hunting Camera - White LED,

4.0 out of 5 stars Great wildlife camera and supplied with ALL the kit needed., 5 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A camera with a difference, I have seen these cameras used in wildlife programs and always loved the idea of being able to photograph wildlife without disturbance/intrusion.

I received this camera and could not wait to set it up facing our bird feeder to see exactly what birds visit our table, firstly setup is fairly simple, batteries are supplied and also a 16gb Micro SD card with an adaptor, this is a rather unusual as most camera suppliers don't supply a memory card in the package well done Ultrasport!!

You can simply switch this camera on and leave it, it will takes photos when ever a heat source(body heat) is in range of the PIR sensor you can adjust the sensitivity of the PIR to avoid false triggers.

I was surprised at the results this camera has given, we have lots of different species of birds visiting our garden, some of the usual suspects (Wood Pigeon, Doves, Blackbirds, Gold Finches) and some more unusual birds ( Black Cap, Coal Tit, Green Finch) we have also recorded foxes at night on our lawn and some hedgehogs wandering around hopefully eating any slugs and snails!

Picture quality is fairly good, I set the camera to 16 megapixel, the top quality setting for the camera and was surprised at the sharpness of the photos taken. This camera also records video when triggered, you can alter the length of the video recorded and also the quality, it will record full HD video but this will impact on memory usage and is only 15 FPS, 720p records at 30 FPS. If the memory card gets full the camera can be set to 'cycle recording' this will erase images from the beginning of the recording session.

I found the battery usage rather heavy, the supplied batteries lasted just a week with all 8 installed but this could be the way I have set the camera up (HD 720p, Full 16mb resolution) and a host of false triggers due to windy conditions. I have replaced the batteries with Lithium type AA batteries and I'm happy to report they are still going well to date.

Night images are black and white and appear a little grainy but are usable, the images use the infrared LEDs built into the camera, you can choose between using 19 LEDs or 40 LEDs.

Images can be viewed on the built-in colour screen, menus are simple and user friendly, a bigger screen would be welcome. Simple switches are provided for on-off, camera/video ,amount of LEDs used(19/40) and GPRS. The backplate to the camera holds a second set of batteries for longer run time.

This camera is simply strapped to a fixed point or left in any position the user desires, great for getting some unusual shots. The camera is fully waterproof and can be left out in any weather, the backplate MUST be fitted to the camera to keep it fully waterproof.

This Ultrasport camera has a unlimited number of uses, mainly being wildlife and security but the sky is the limit, everything needed to get up and running is supplied with the camera. I also see with interest that a solar panel can be used to charge rechargeable batteries, meaning this camera could be left for months without interaction.

I would like to see the price come down but this is a rather niche camera.

A camera with a difference, 4 stars here.

Monster iSport Victory In Ear Headphones - Black
Monster iSport Victory In Ear Headphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound quality and fit, poor cable., 7 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I prefer in ear type headphone for their fit and size, also sound quality is very important to me.

Firstly these Monster iSport Victory headphones come in a very nice box (a big marketing ploy nowadays) but I'm more interested in the actual goods inside the box.

The headphones look fairly well made, they have a cast metal body with all other parts plastic, one thing I don't like are the flat cables that Monster have equipped these headphones with, these are notorious for fracturing as I know from previous experience of other item with flat cables, I much prefer a round cable. The cable is also equipped with a volume/play-pause control on the left hand monitor, this looks a little vulnerable to me but time will tell.

Monster recommend that you try all the silicon tips for a perfect fit, the one I found fitted best for me was the large, once in these headphones fit tight and don't move around due to the silicone ear hooks, they also block out most of the noise around you which can be either a bonus or a danger. The tip of the headphone actually swivels very slightly to allow for movement.

Onto sound quality and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised, I tried these with my Fiio E17 Alpen DAC/headphone ampFiiO E17 Portable Headphone Amplifier and USB DAC via the USB socket on my phone, listening to Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon 2011 remaster(320kbps MP3), the detail is crisp without being overblown, bass is good and vocals stand up well, treble is clear without being harsh. I did try the headphones in the headphone socket of my phone (Android) whilst sound is good it lacks any gusto, this is most likely inferior quality of the phones built in amp/dac. The remote does not work with Android and is Apple specific. These headphones get LOUD, very loud on the Fiio but retain the clarity without distortion.

I compared these Monster iSport Victories to my usual Ultimate Ears Triple Fi Pro'sUltimate Ears Triple fi 10 Earphones - Metallic Blue , Ok so I am comparing a mid priced headphone to a top budget one, surprisingly the Monsters have more bass than the UE's but can't keep up when it comes to shear clarity and performance. The other advantage of the UE's is the replaceable cable, why don't more manufacturers do this?

Monster have supplied these headphones with a little storage bag and several tips and ear supports but no adaptor for 3.5mm plug to 6.25mm plug, I know most people don't use 'proper' audio anymore but it's always nice to have just in case.

So, overall I like these headphones, they are a snug fit get for sports which they are primarily aimed at, they are also a good headphone for general use, I have my doubts on the flat cable but time will tell.

Excellent pair of headphones at a reasonable price.

JUSTOP BTR006 Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Audio Receiver With 3.5MM Jack, Universal Adapter For Speakers, New Module with Bluetooth V2.1 A2DP profile
Offered by DigiDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple set-up and does the job intended., 15 Feb. 2015
I got this tiny Bluetooth receiver to use at work to stream audio from my phone to a Aiwa unit via it's Aux input function and it works fine.

The JUSTOP unit is simple to pair with any Bluetooth device and can be used for headphone or as a Aux device, it's also great for portable speakers that don't have Bluetooth built in. This device is charged via a USB port or in my case a mains USB charger, I'm using an old Nokia charger that has a USB output, charging time is a claimed 3 hours but took longer. Build quality looks a little flimsy but for the price paid I'm not complaining.

I got around 8 hours use out of the device before having to charge it for the first time, I'm hoping it will last a little longer next time.

There is no volume controls on this device, you use the volume control on your phone/tablet, the power button doubles up as a pause button if needed.

Included with the JUSTOP device are a short 3.5mm socket to 2 phono plugs (used for connecting to an AUX input on an audio unit) a 3.5mm to 3.5mm extension socket (used for connecting headphones).

First impression of this device are very good, the sound is crisp and clear with good range.

Simple easy set-up and does the job intended.

Nikon COOLPIX L31 Compact Digital Camera - (16.1 MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7-Inch LCD - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for beginners..............and great shots to boot., 8 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This little camera has all the features some of it's bigger bothers have, but does it take quality photos ?? My first impression are yes indeed it does.

This Nikon COOLPIX L31 is next to the bottom rung in Nikons line up and is priced very well, it's main area being a 'first' camera or introduction to digital photography.

This camera is very compact and feels a little slippery in your fingers I would have preferred a slightly rubberised grip , the build quality looks fine and buttons operate with a positive click. Whilst the screen is not the best around in terms of resolution it does the job.

Nikon have aimed this camera at the novice and simple menus and shooting modes reflect that, it is uncomplicated and simple to understand, but being a keen photographer I can understand the functions without the need for instructions which unfortunately are just a single fold out sheet of paper and are very limited which could be a problem for the beginner.

This camera runs on AA batteries which in my opinion is a great move, they are available anywhere, I would however suggest you get the lithium typeBattery, Ultimate Lithium Aa 3+1 Free cells as Nikon claim these will last for upto 700 shots compared to standard alkaline cells that last around 200 shots. This camera requires a memory card too, you can use SD, SDHC or SDHX these are cheap to find and I got a 16gb micro SD card with adaptor card for around £6.Integral 16GB Class 10 45MBps UltimaPro SDHC Memory Card - Frustration Free Packaging

This camera takes great photos, I left it in full auto mode to see what the results were like and bang for buck it's very good value. You can dig deeper into the scene positions and select the correct one for shooting conditions, handy if the camera is having problems selecting the correct scene. The flash is adequate. The modes are Auto, Auto scene, manual scene selection, selective colour , small portrait. In the manual scene selection modes are - Close-up(macro) - Food - Fireworks - Back lighting - Pet Portrait - Portrait - Landscape - Sports - Night Portrait - Party/Indoor - Beach - Snow - Sunset - Dawn/Dusk.

There is also a simple one button video recording function with 720p picture quality, again making using this camera as easy as possible.

This compact camera have a 5x optical zoom and also digital zoom, this is a bonus over smart phones which the majority of only offer digital zoom, using the zoom is quick and accurate, focusing is also fairly quick.

Overall this Nikon L31 is a great little camera, ideal for beginners or a child's introduction to photography.

In the box......

Tacwise 18G 50mm Brad Electric Nail Gun
Offered by Big Red Toolbox

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and well made electric brad gun., 23 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Electric brad / nail gun looks the business, it comes in a blown plastic case that also looks the part and is also good quality.

Onto the tool itself, firstly this nail gun is fairly large, being a cabinet maker I am familiar with compressed air nail guns, but these are limited as dragging a compressor around with you on site is not practical, so this Tacwise has an advantage that it is powered from the mains.

The quality of the gun looks good, there's no rough edges or things loose that should not be, I particularly like the idea of the mains switch and green LED to indicate that the gun is live and ready to use, the tool also has a belt hanger, 4 meters of cable is supplied on the gun.

Tacwise supplied a pack of 35mm brads with the gun for testing, using some pieces of scrap18mm MDF I set about loading the tool and test nailing them together, the Tacwise put the brads in with a reassuring thump and the brad heads were slightly below the surface of the MDF, this is idea for filling later and avoids the need for punching the heads down by hand, there is no variable power setting on this nailer. This nail gun is a two handed operation with the palm of one hand on the top of the gun and the other gripping the handle and operating the trigger.

This gun will not fire if it's not held down to a work surface, this is a standard safety feature of any nail/staple gun, but essential in removing the idiot factor either in the work place or around the house, safety is always a major concern with these tools as they can be extremely dangerous in the wrong hands.

I can see this gun coming in very useful for skirting, architraves and also stitch fixing(using nails and glue together) there are also uses around the garden with fencing coming to mind. A variety of brads are available in stainless steel, useful outdoors and plain steel, lengths of 30 - 50mm are available.

A good quality tool from Tacwise that should last some years to come.

De Vielle DEV766531 Next Generation Rechargeable Hot Water Bottle Heater Pink
De Vielle DEV766531 Next Generation Rechargeable Hot Water Bottle Heater Pink
Offered by QPC Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the cost, especially for those who have difficulty with 'standard' hot water bottles., 2 Jan. 2015
Got this hot water bottle for my Mum for Christmas, she suffered a stroke 5 years ago and has problems keeping warm, she is also disabled, so any aid that reduces or removes risk is welcome.

This bottle is simple to use, plug it in using the special charging unit, leave for 10-15 minutes and it is toasty warm but not scalding hot, unlike a standard hot water bottle than can be filled with scalding hot water resulting in burns to the user. The De Vielle bottle stops heating when it reaches 60c by means of a thermostat and the LED on the charger goes out.

The other plus to this 'bottle' is the fact it is completely sealed meaning no annoying leaks that could potentially lead to scalding.

This bottle has a nice velour feel to it and looks well made.

This bottle cost nearly 3 times the cost of a standard hot water bottle but removes all the risks associated with standard hot water bottles, which can't be a bad thing especially were the infirm are concerned.

Kong Squirrel for Cat
Kong Squirrel for Cat
Offered by Purely Health

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret squirrel................not for long., 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Kong Squirrel for Cat (Misc.)
More of a gerbil that a squirrel, this toy comes complete with a tube of extra strength Kong cat-nip, simply put a small amount of the cat-nip in the toy, I opted not to fill the toy, and watch your moggie play. Our cat is not normally bothered about cat-nip but this is different, very different, she almost ripped the toy apart the first time she played with it, and has played with this 'squirrel' since, it only takes a waft under her nose and shes away, not bad for an 11 year old!

The toy itself looks well made and should stand up to the test, the toy is also a good price and is delivered free!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20