Profile for Up The Cat's Back > Reviews

Content by Up The Cat's Back

Up The Cat's Back "Hisss"

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
by Yuval Noah Harari
Edition: MP3 CD

3.0 out of 5 stars The duck that barked., 13 Jan. 2016
Please note that this is a review of the MP3 CD. Were I reviewing the book, I'd almost certainly give it 5 stars - notwithstanding the points made by other reviewers about certain questionable assertions, it's largely a coherent and engaging walk through human history from the author's sometimes forthright standpoint.

The reason the CD loses two stars is the baffling and utterly infuriating decision to hire an English narrator, then have him use American pronunciations. Every time he says 'data' or 'status' I now just wince, which is progress from the internal rant that accompanied the first few instances. But that's nothing compared to what happens when the text deals with numbers and dates. In British English, it's usual to say "A hundred and twenty", while American English tends to omit the conjunction. I have no problem with that, except that when it's done in a plainly British accent, it produces an effect akin to hearing a duck barking.

My wife bought this CD for me to listen to while travelling between sites at work. All I can say is that it's a miracle I haven't crashed. Yet. I've had to listen to sections over and over again because my howls of frustration at the idiocy of pronunciation have drowned out the CD at crucial moments. Could they not find an American narrator to read for them? Is Derek Perkins actually a New Yorker possessed of a superb British accent but unable to rid himself of certain native foibles? I have no idea, and frankly I couldn't care less. The end result is a load of rubbish.

If you're thinking of buying this CD, do yourself a favour and get the book instead. Then get in touch with me and we can swap.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 15 Nov. 2014
Not brilliant quality, but you get what you pay for.

Anker® 1900mAh Li-ion Battery For Samsung Galaxy S2 II GT-I9100, Galaxy S2 II I9100, Galaxy S2 II 9100G, EB-F1A2GBU

4.0 out of 5 stars Great battery for the price, 1 Feb. 2012
I find myself wondering if those getting poor service from this have actually gone through the recommended 4-5 charge-discharge cycles, because it's worked fine for me after doing that. Definitely longer life than the original Samsung battery. My phone still struggles to get through the day on a single charge - that's mainly why I bought a second battery - but that's broadly what I've come to expect of a smartphone. Haven't you?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2012 5:41 PM BST

The Prince Of Mist
The Prince Of Mist
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

4.0 out of 5 stars Gothic seaside fun, 14 July 2010
This review is from: The Prince Of Mist (Hardcover)
Portending the darkness that oozes from 'The Shadow of the Wind', Carlos Ruiz Zafón's first novel is a rollicking ride on a seaside Gothic ghost train.

Max Carver's father uproots the family from their city life to a sleepy seaside town in order to escape the gathering clouds of war, but before long Max discovers that another kind of horror lies in wait here, shrouded in secrecy by the taciturn lighthouse keeper and somehow connected to the bizarre collection of statues attached to his new home.

I feel a little sorry for Mr. Ruiz Zafón, as I can't be alone in measuring all his novels against my first experience of his work, the peerless 'Shadow of the Wind'. However, 'The Prince of Mist' is aimed at a different - younger - audience and works wonderfully in that context. Not long enough to develop complex characters and storylines, the plot is nonetheless enthralling and makes for an enjoyable yarn. Read it by the beach, with something warm to take away the chills down your spine.

Knightriders [DVD] [1981] [US Import]
Knightriders [DVD] [1981] [US Import]
Offered by M and N Media US

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful, 3 Aug. 2008
This isn't a biker movie - the bikes are horses with engines, guys, so if you're looking for a biker movie, like the last reviewer, you'll be sorely disappointed. The cover looks like they're trying to sell a flick to an audience which won't enjoy it.

This is a film which takes dissatisfaction with modern life, pits it against authority, beats it bloody, wrings the tears out of it, makes it stand up again and ultimately turns it into something tragically beautiful. I can't think of a better way to spend my time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2011 8:18 PM BST