Profile for thenewcrossleys@aol.com > Reviews

Birders
Birders
by Mark Cocker

5.0 out of 5 stars A twitchers' fables for armchair moments, 7 Oct. 2001
This review is from: Birders (Hardcover)
This book will sell thousands of copies because apart from dear Bill nobody has actually written much about birding and bird watchers in book form. Much of the material revolves around Cockers' friends and aquantances as well as his own experiences and travels. The writing is beautiful however and captures the books point with its style - that birding is a spiritual and a deeply personal activity. Yes there are friends, clubs, trips, equipment but in the end it comes down to moments composed of "you, the bird and the light".
More of the same please from more of us - thank you Mr Cocker.

From The Earth To The Moon [VHS] [2005]
From The Earth To The Moon [VHS] [2005]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Recomended late night viewing., 6 May 2000
I always had a thing about astronauts. Lego always ended up as Saturn V rockets - I searched every toy shop in England for the Action Man astronaut outfit to no avail. Then I grew up and it was all forgotten. Then flicking through the telly channels last year on waking up with a hangover I discovered this little gem. I then bought the book by Andrew Chakis. I took a day off parachuting in Florida to go to Cape Canaveral. I now want to purchase the entire footage of every Appollo moon walk. Four Two hour tapes for some walks - Oh god please ! I went to the "Full Moon" exhibition of NASA photos and again bought the book.
It all started again watching this stunning series. Some of it is very "Telly" and it feels "small" - but that's the point in some ways. These were men. Let me repeat that - these were men. Some of them completely forgotten and unknown and as the series relates you could see them on the street and you wouldn't know their secret; they walked on the moon!. There is a fantastic shot of Harrison Schmidt (the only geoligist to ever walk on the moon) huffing and puffing inside his cumbersome suit helmet "Oh bury me not on the lonesome prairy !" he sings. The reflective visors make people forget that there is a man inside the suit. It won't be the same when we go as tourists - it will be too safe.
I've learnt so much. I had no idea that some of these guys were 5 miles from the lander and stayed for three days. Go on join the few who know all of the names - Having said that if your reading this then you know what want already - and you're just like me. you've already checked for the 8 hour tape. One day they'll give us the whole thing.This is the next best thing.
You're not strange for wanting to buy this - go on treat yourself and watch them over and over again. Noone will understand - "are you coming to bed ? not quite yet"