Profile for Anthony B. Whittle > Reviews

Content by Anthony B. Whittle

Anthony B. Whittle "booklover" (Wigan)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Imagine This: Growing Up With My Brother John Lennon
Imagine This: Growing Up With My Brother John Lennon
by Julia Baird

5.0 out of 5 stars A REMARKABLE FAMILY, 7 Jan. 2012
I have read several books on the Beatles over the years and I have to say this is the best one. It deals with Johns early life and just as importantly that of his family. They certainly had more than their share of unpleasant trials and tribulations in their lives and life must have seemed very bleak indeed. John loved his mother unreservedly untill the end of his life as did his sisters Julia and Jackie although her own sisters could have been kinder to her. All in all the author is to be congratulated on a very well written and absorbing book, a credit to the Lennon family. I love a good read and this was certainly one of them.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars RELIEF AT LAST, 26 Oct. 2011
I HAVE HAD CONSTANT PAIN FROM THE NERVES IN MY FEET FOR ABOUT FIVE YEARS NOW. THE DOCTOR GAVE ME TABLETS BUT NOTHING WORKED AND I RESIGNED MYSELF TO THERE BEING NO CURE.MY WIFE SUGGESTED I TRY THIS PEN AS A LAST RESORT TO TRY AND GET A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP AND IVE HAD NO PAIN FOR SEVERAL DAYS.IT REALLY IS A MIRACLE STICK AND NO DOUBT,WE WILL NEVER BE WITHOUT ONE FROM NOW ON.

STP Fuel Injector Cleaner 250ml
STP Fuel Injector Cleaner 250ml
Offered by AP Motor Store

5.0 out of 5 stars YES IT REALLY WORKS, 24 Oct. 2011
Although my Meriva 1.6 is in generally good condition the m.p.g. was poor and idleing was a little irratic.I tried different things but with zero success and at one point gave up. As a last ditch effort I put a bottle of STP in with a full tank of petrol.For the first half tank I noticed no improvement but as I got down to a quarter tank the performance improved in every way and the m.p.g is MUCH better . In a nutshell,the best £4 I ever spent. Though obviously I can only relate my experience with it.

Back from the Brink: 1,000 Days at Number 11
Back from the Brink: 1,000 Days at Number 11
by Alistair Darling

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good read, 26 Sept. 2011
I have read a number of books on the exploits of Politicians and apart from Lloyd George most of them fell short in the interesting stakes but this one is an absorbing read especially if your interested in why are we in this mess today.The author is obviously an intelligent man who knows what he is talking about, an unusual attribute for any present day politician and anyone who could have tolerated that bumbling bully Brown gets my vote. The reasons for the plight of the banks and other finantial institutions are all there and it really was a very close thing in the end,quite scary actually. Are politics really like this?God help us and there we are thinking that our University educated (for the most part) mps will look after our interests,how naive we must be. Its a good read though and for me deserves five stars, Good one Ali.

Success with Clematis (Success With...)
Success with Clematis (Success With...)
by Marigold Badcock

5.0 out of 5 stars A LOVELY BOOK, 1 May 2011
I have collected a number of clematis books over the years and this one is the best. Packed with information and a wide coverage of the subject coupled with plenty photographs and a most pleasing presentation make it a bit special for me,hard to beat this one.

Roberts R9993 3-Band Portable Radio
Roberts R9993 3-Band Portable Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars What a little gem., 29 April 2011
I checked out loads of portable radios before deciding on this little beauty. It gets full marks from me in every respect, great to look at with a quality look and feel about it.Performance first class with excellent clarity and volume to spare cannot fault it . At this price it must be the bargain of the year,buy it,youll love it.No I dont work for Roberts.

Glory in the Centre Spot: The Eric Ashton Story (Rugby League Classics)
Glory in the Centre Spot: The Eric Ashton Story (Rugby League Classics)
by Eric Ashton

5.0 out of 5 stars Eric was simply the best for club and Country, 9 Mar. 2011
I have been a Rugby League fan for over sixty years and in all that time I never saw a better centre than Eric Ashton no Sir. He arrived at Wigan at around the same time as Billy Boston and what a deadly pair they made in the fifties.No defence could handle them for sheer class and scoring ability ,to me they have never been equalled. I once met Eric in the tea room at Central Park and what did we talk about? car insurance .This book is an excellent read and describes the life and times of a great if underpaid player the likes of which we have not seen since that time, some nice photos too.A must for any rugby fan and to top it all a St Helens lad who played all his career as Wigan captain- phew !!!.

School for Randle [DVD]
School for Randle [DVD]
Dvd ~ Frank Randle
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars FRANKS BEST FILM, 22 Jan. 2011
This review is from: School for Randle [DVD] (DVD)
Frank Randle only made a handful of films and some of them are hardly watchable in my view.Made very cheaply at Mancunian Studios in the 1940s and 50s they had a certain appeal in the North of England but never really caught on in the South. Those films are mainly all that we have of Frank today and two or three of them are well worth a watch.Obviously The humour is somewhat outdated now but there are some funny scenes and situations nevertheless.For me SCHOOL FOR RANDLE is the best thing Frank did on film and is an enjoyable romp from start to finish. Jimmy Clitheroe helps with the laughs too and it even has a nice little storyline to it.Most of all, it takes you back to how life used to be in simpler bygone days. A good one this.

The Bridge (Die Brucke) [DVD] [1959]
The Bridge (Die Brucke) [DVD] [1959]
Dvd ~ Folker Bohnet

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff this., 6 May 2010
As war films go this is up there with the best.It was made in Germany some fourteen years after WW2 using young German actors as the centrepiece of the action . It has a real feeling of authenticity that few films can achieve and you have the feeling that it would have been exactly like that in real life.The young schoolboys are told to defend a bridge for the Fatherland and do so with typical blind obedience with predictable results. It is a well made and entertaining film though a little dated now but still a good watch.

The Forsaken: From the Great Depression to the Gulags: Hope and Betrayal in Stalin's Russia
by Tim Tzouliadis

5.0 out of 5 stars A SUPERB BOOK., 1 May 2010
I used to wonder what kind of man Stalin must have been to subjugate the Russian people for so long ,well now I know. Anyone was subject to be arrested ,tortured and almost always shot for no reason whatsoever and many Americans mostly communists who went to Russia in the 30s never got the chance to return home when the novelty wore off.They joined their Russian compatriots who were sent to one of the infamous Gulags or were simply liquidated. The executioners were themselves suffered the same fate shortly after and so on it went, even Stalins right hand man who organised much of this insanity was himself executed within a year of Stalins death.The research for this book must have been a huge enterprise and all credit to Tim Tzouliadis for a well written and hard to put down book. If your interested in this period of history, this is the one for you .

Page: 1 | 2 | 3