Profile for parisandhelen > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Angel Malone 10Mtrs x 1mm Rainbow Rattail Kumihimo Cord
Angel Malone 10Mtrs x 1mm Rainbow Rattail Kumihimo Cord

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick delivery, good quality, 5 Sept. 2014
Just what I wanted. Item as described and nice quality. Also received quickly. Very pleased. I would definitely buy from this seller again.

Angel Malone ®
Angel Malone ®
Offered by The Bead Shop UK

5.0 out of 5 stars As described, good quality, quick delivery, 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Angel Malone ®
Arrived very quickly, as described. As others said, it isn't on a reel, but it does say that in the product description!! You need to read the details and specifications before purchasing items. I did, so got exactly what I expected. Would definitely purchase again.

The Vampire Diaries: Shadow Souls: Book 6: 2/3
The Vampire Diaries: Shadow Souls: Book 6: 2/3
by L J Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Different to the original series, 17 Jun. 2010
I'm one of the people who read this series when it was just a trilogy, and had just been published (early 90's...?)

As a teen, I thought the books were amazing, and the ending very sad. Re-reading as an adult, they didn't have quite the same effect.

One of the things that I struggle with and find confusing is that this book continues from book four, which was set mid to late 1991, and is supposedly about the events that happened 6 months later. So, 1992. Yet, the characters have been mysteriously catapulted into the "naughties" and have the latest gadgets like video mobile phones and computers. Obviously computers and mobiles were around in the nineties, but not as they are today. Particularly mobile phones were not like they are described in the books. They were analogue and the size of a house brick, definitely no video calling! For some this might be a little niggle which doesn't detract from the story, but for me it does. I can't see any reason why the books couldn't have followed on more realistically for the time period. Perhaps the author is trying to make them conform to the television series - who knows?

I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first ones. Although I will admit that this could be because I am (a bit!) older this time around, and not the teenager they are aimed at, as I was the first time they came out.

The book was readable, but unfortunately I came away with the feeling that the author is just bringing out books for the sake of it now and possibly in order to make the most of the the fact they've been brought back to life by the new television series.

Teletubbies: Dance With The Teletubbies [DVD] [1997]
Teletubbies: Dance With The Teletubbies [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Rolf Saxon
Offered by rightpricediscs

5.0 out of 5 stars Teletubbies, 4 Sept. 2009
Well, what can I say? I never liked the Teletubbies. I'm still not a fan.

However, I admit they are not marketed at middle aged women, so that's okay then.

But, the DVD. If you're a toddler, apparently it's great! I bought this for my son a few months ago and he LOVES it! It's brilliant for those times when you've got things to do and you need the assistance of your "electronic babysitter" for half an hour or so. The Teletubbies really seem to appeal to pre-schoolers and will keep them amused over and over. Plus, I've got to admit, I've noticed my son has learned things from watching this DVD, so all round it's a winner (as long as I don't have to watch it!!) :D

LG Viewty Silver Mobile Phone on Vodafone PAYG
LG Viewty Silver Mobile Phone on Vodafone PAYG

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for the Price, 31 Aug. 2009
Just a note before I give my opinions on the LG Viewty Lite, my review does not cover all the functions of this phone, as I haven't tried them all out yet. In fact, there will probably be some I'll never bother with.

I was tempted to buy this phone as my first touch screen phone. For the price I think it is a very reasonable phone. The screen is a good size for viewing photos, video clips and the internet. Photos and the internet can be zoomed in and out to suit the user preference. This can be done either by scrolling the screen via touch or by moving the wheel at the back of the phone around the camera lens. I found using the wheel and scrolling manually to be more precise than the touch screen (although I haven't bought a stylus for the phone yet, which may make a difference). The touch screen also vibrates slightly when it recognises a touch to the screen. I quite like this, although I know some people find it annoying.

Entering text in different areas can be done via the traditional handset lay out (T9 and traditional multi tap functions are available), a QWERTY keyboard (the space bar is located to one side rather than centrally, which is a bit of a pain if you're used to the traditional lay out) or using handwriting recognition.

The camera is 5mp, and takes a reasonable enough shot for a mobile phone. For anything more advanced than that, it's no replacement for a proper camera. Although to be fair, most people wouldn't purchase a phone to do their photos on if they wanted professional shots. Surprisingly I found that the video quality seemed superior to the photo quality when zooming in. The phone has the capability for some editing on videos, such as adding text. There are also a few different photograph functions, like black and white photos, negatives, panorama, macro, timer shots etc.

The phone can also play films in DivX format. Although I have not tried this out yet. But with the nice sized screen it would be handy for using whilst travelling to watch videos, without having to scrunch your eyes up to view the screen.

One downside to the phone is the ability to read office documents but not edit them. Again, the phone is not advertised as fit for this purpose, but I found this disappointing as it was a function I had on my previous phone. It seemed a bit of a waste to be able to view documents but not alter them. There may be software online that enables document editing but I have not found any so far. There is some consolation in the fact that the phone can do voice recordings enabling dictation even though you can't write to a document. Depending on the quality of the recording selected, the duration is roughly between 15 to 30 minutes, which should be adequate for most people's needs. Voice recordings are saved in .amr format. So far I haven't transferred any to the PC so I don't know if it requires additional software to replay on the computer, but I would imagine there would be some available online if needed.

Another downside is the fact that the SD slot is located inside the phone and requires the user to remove the battery in order to access it. Many phones now have external slots for memory cards, so this does seem a bit of a strange choice.

The phone is boxed with headphones, charger and USB cable. Although the USB cable is supplied, a software CD is not. Although some phones can "plug and play" in order to transfer data, the LG Viewty can't. It recognises new hardware added but requires software in order to use it. I assume that the software is available to download online. I prefer not to bother with this if a phone can use a SD card so I haven't bothered looking for the software.

The phone is not supplied with a stylus, although these can be purchased separately and attached to the top left hand corner so you don't lose them. They are available cheaply enough online, so it's probably not too much of a disappointment. However, that said, given that they are available so cheaply, it seems strange to me that one is not supplied with the phone.

Overall I think that this is a very decent phone for the price tag and I've enjoyed using it so far. It is not a replacement for the PDA (not that it claims to be) in the way that some of the handsets out there are, but of course you don't expect to get everything for this price. What it has gained in entertainment capabilities (camera, video, DivX compatibility etc), it has compromised in other functions (document editing, organiser functions etc).
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2010 11:53 PM GMT

Keepsake (PC DVD)
Keepsake (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great game to keep you going, 10 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Keepsake (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I'd wanted this game for a while and finally bought it a few weeks ago. I found it to be a nice lengthy game, which draws you into the mystery and makes you want to find out what happened. Unlike some games where you just complete them because you feel you should finish what you've started.

You begin by having a small tutorial courtesy of one of the bit part characters in the game. Once that is completed you find yourself (as Lydia) in front of the academy doors, ready to start your new life in the school. Expecting to meet your best friend, Celeste by the entrance, you find the front of the academy deserted. Plus the doors are locked and there is nobody about to help you get inside. Following a small puzzle to get you inside, your next quest is to find your companion throughout the game, Zak. He (in the form of a wolf in the beginning) tells you a little about the school, and shares his story with you along the journey to find out what happened to all the people who should be in the school, but mysteriously disappeared before you rescued him.

There is an in game hint system, which you can use if you get stuck. The hints come in a few steps, each one expanding on the solution to the puzzles if you can't figure them out for yourself. If you still can't find the answer, there is the option to have the puzzle solved automatically (I'd recommend against that if at all possible as it means you don't get to find out what the answer was, you just jump straight to the cut scene where the puzzle is completed), which means there is no need to search for a walkthrough for this game. There's also the option to find out what you should be trying to do next if you are unsure what your next course of action is.

My only slight grumble about this game was that unlike some similar style games there was no map enabling you to jump straight to an area you wanted/needed to be in. It did make moving from place to place a bit tedious at times as that academy was like a rabbit warren and too easy to get lost in at times. But it was only a minor thing overall and didn't put me off completing the game.

The storyline was good and drew me in, plus the ending was.....(I won't spoil it for you)

Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis (Nintendo DS)
Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis (Nintendo DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Secret Files 2, 10 Jun. 2009
I was itching to get my hands on this game as soon as I found out about it. I played the first and liked it, so hoped I would also enjoy playing this one.

It definitely kept me going for a while. Very similar in game play to the first game. It's all point and click & text, no shoot 'em up/race 'em, so not a style of play that will suit everybody.

Again, you're playing as Nina (and sometimes switching to other characters) in your bid to save the world, this time from a religious sect called Puritas Cordis. Nina is dragged into this quest quite by accident, but soon becomes up to her neck in the adventure along with her ex boyfriend Max.

As with many point and clicks I found some of the inventory combinations slightly strange/unlikely, but I have learned that if in doubt just try combining everything until something works. Using that principle I didn't get stuck too often. But there were moments when I finally found a winning combination and thought "what?!?"

I'd say this game is worth a go if you played and enjoyed the first one. If you didn't like that, you probably won't like this. Although you don't need to have played the first one to enjoy this either, as it's a completely new storyline with minimal references to the last game.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Children's Edition]
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Children's Edition]
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sad Farewell, 30 Sept. 2007
I was one of those "eager" fans who queued up to buy this book at the stroke of midnight! I couldn't wait to get it the following day.

After a few years of eager anticipation, this book did not disappoint. The questions that played round the minds of many fans were pretty much all answered in this final instalment.

Die-hard Potter fans won't be disappointed with this book. I don't want to give away the ending (for the SMALL few who might not already know!) so I don't want to write too much about what goes on, but as usual with the Harry Potter saga, there is humour and sadness within the story. It is a rare book that engrosses the reader so well and makes you "live" the characters' lives, but this one certainly does exactly that.

One thing I've always loved about this series is that the author does not shy away from the less appealing aspects of human nature and does not make all her characters jolly and fun. Good characters have their bad points and bad characters have their saving graces - just as in real life. I also like the fact that the characters grow and develop with age, unlike a lot of books where the characters remain the same (in age and behaviour) no matter what happens to them.

Even though it's a children's book, and I'm certainly no child, I can't help wishing I could receive my own invitation to attend Hogwarts!

So, if you're a fan of Potter, you don't want to miss this (although if you are, you've surely read it already!) But, if you never liked the series, you're unlikely to find anything to tempt you in this last book.

The Urbz: Sims in the City (Nintendo DS)
The Urbz: Sims in the City (Nintendo DS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sims in the Big Smoke, 30 Sept. 2007
This was my introduction to the Sims not long after I got my DS. And I loved it. I'm a big fan of point and clicks, quest-like games with little to no violence. In this game, you move to the big city and have to style yourself and earn new skills and popularity to get ahead in the big smoke. You have to decide on which clique you want to join, make friends with them, but also keep the other clique members sweet when you need a favour. You start off in a small area, and to access each new area you need to complete missions and goals, often by sorting out problems for other Sims. The missions and goals range from finding lost items, making friends with certain Sims, getting jobs and impressing people. As you progress into the game, and make new friends, you get given items and let in on the secret of an underground tunnel to help you get around the town much quicker - handy when you're caught short or you need to get somewhere ASAP.

Whilst doing this, your overall mission is to free the land from the clutches of a wicked business man, apparently intent on world domination and he plans to start by buying your city!

There is a glitch in the game which sometimes prevents you from completing a certain mission first time around, but you can get round this by saving before attempting tasks.

Along side your missions, you still need to keep an eye on your stats, which can be frustrating sometimes when you need to complete a mission and can't! But with a bit of forward thinking (i.e. filling up as many stats as you can before attempting a task), that usually doesn't cause too much trouble.

The graphics aren't state of the art, but for me the game-play more than made up for that.

This game was similar to Bustin' Out for the GBA, and if you liked that you'll probably like this too. A shame they didn't do a few more like this.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (Nintendo DS)
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Renaissance

5.0 out of 5 stars Make Me A Reservation!, 30 Sept. 2007
Being a big fan of point and click adventures on the PC, I wanted this as soon as I saw it advertised. The game lived up to my expectations. It played in a similar way to Another Code/Two Memories. This time around, you're an ex cop turned salesman named Kyle, staying at Hotel Dusk, a place full of mysteries and intrigue. You're sent there by your boss to complete a short job, but once you're there, you soon get drawn into a bit of sleuthing. Each character you meet seems to be harbouring a secret and it's your mission to discover what they are. Kyle is also hiding a few secrets of his own. To discover their secrets (and Kyle's) you must solve puzzles, explore and even do a few "fetch and carry" jobs for the other characters. You get to know the other characters and sometimes have to have a few conversations with them before building up their trust to get to their secrets. Unlike AC/TM, you can get "game over" with this game, so it's worth doing regular saves, especially if you think you're likely to be on thin ice with one of the other characters, or about to attempt a bit of snooping in an area you're not meant to be in...

If you like mysteries without the gore, you should enjoy this. Definitely a worthwhile follow-up to Two Memories.

I hope they do more like this - SOON!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3