Profile for Andy Craven > Reviews

Content by Andy Craven

Andy Craven

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
FIXATE GEL PADS , Sticky Anti-Slip GEL Pads - can Stick to Glass, Mirrors, Whiteboards, Metal, Kitchen Cabinets or Tile, Car GPS and many more
Offered by bullbelt

5.0 out of 5 stars Sticky!, 7 May 2017
I'm not really sure why I ordered these, as no real use for them (I can say that about most of my Amazon purchases in fairness) but was genuinely surprised how useful these are. Being the thoughtful type, I stuck one on the kitchen cupboard and told the Mrs she can now stick the TV on through the phone whilst pottering about in the kitchen (for the record, I do cook). She was a bit dubious whether the phone would hold, but was soon convinced when I stuck my tablet to it. They're so sticky, they actually take a fair bit of effort to get a phone off so don't be concerned about the safety of your precious device, these things are solid.

Have ended up ordering another set and rather than buying more pointless and unnecessary purchases, spend my time thinking about what I can try and stick to them. Great item.

Kärcher T 350 Wide Area Surface Cleaner
Kärcher T 350 Wide Area Surface Cleaner

3.0 out of 5 stars Expected a bit more, 7 May 2017
I've just moved and have a brick driveway and large decking area that's been neglected for some time. Having played about with the standard lance items on my K2, saw the results possible but was covered in muck and completely drenched. This seemed like the perfect solution, as the bottom of the cleaner would prevent any of the debris from flying around and all over me.

I was disappointed with the results. In all fairness, both my drive and decking had not been cleaned for some time so perhaps asking a lot of this item. It certainly prevented debris from going everywhere and kept me dry, but a side by side comparison between this and the lance items shows that it just doesn't have the power for the more soiled areas.

The cleaner has a fairly hard bristled brush around the outside, which means the area in question can be scrubbed as well as blasted with the pressured water - I'm sure for areas lightly soiled, this would do the trick but anything more than that and it will struggle. I've ended up going back to the wand and spending a good few hours with wet feet, but got the results I was after. I'm hoping that the next time I need to clean the drive, this will be really useful, just a shame it doesn't give the same results as the standard Karcher items for the more soiled areas.

Kärcher Window Vac Extension Pole for All Kärcher Window Vac Models
Kärcher Window Vac Extension Pole for All Kärcher Window Vac Models

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful item..., 7 May 2017
I needed to clean some sloping windows on my porch that were not possible to reach even on a ladder. My Karcher window vac was the perfect thing to do so, but without go-go gadget arms there was no way I'd be able to. Seems a lot of money for what it is, but definitely recommend this. The extension for the vac itself is sturdy with a belt type fastening to attach the vac itself so very secure. I had to extend the pole to the maximum length and still get on the ladders, but made the job a lot easier.

There's also an extension for the cleaning cloth although understandably, the spray bottle is not part of this. My pressure washer was used to wet the glass and then some old fashioned elbow grease was needed. Due to the angle, was difficult to get the requires pressure to clean so had to twist the cloth and use the end rather than the main part, but for upstairs windows don't think this would be a problem.

Overall, a useful item that's well built and makes life that bit easier for the harder to reach places - the further the extension needs to be, the less traction you get but expected this so no surprises there.

S&G Under Cabinet Light 3000K Warm White Under Counter Lighting 510lm Under-Counter Lighting with Switch Control LED Kitchen Lighting Closet Lights (3pcs)
Offered by smart&green lighting

5.0 out of 5 stars Not working...but resolved, 28 April 2017
I ordered a set of these for a bookshelf I'm building out of wooden apple crates (search on Pinterest). Idea being some downlights attached to one of the wooden slats in a few of the crates will add a nice touch. These looked perfect, easy to wire up, just about the right size to attach and a reasonable price.

They arrived well packaged and easy enough to set up as per the pictures. But they flickered, then went off, flickered and then died completely. I tried the lights in different ports and followed the instructions, but no joy. I contacted the seller to ask if any advice they could provide but no reply bar a standard email asking for a review. So here it is.

Great idea and good value so I'd still recommend - in fact, I bought another set of what seem like identical lights from another seller on here and they work fine. Some reviews below also say these are a bit hit and miss as to whether they'll work and for how long, so perhaps just unlucky with a duff set.

Update - the seller spotted my e-mail, contacted me and sent some more free of charge. These work perfect after an initial test and would definitely recommend. Also sent me some nice battery powered mini lights, which was a nice touch and completely resolved the initial problems with good contact over e-mail too.

Cmyk® DIMMABLE Vintage light bulb - squirrel cage filament (old fashioned Edison) E27 screw'
Offered by AlanTan

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 April 2017
If I'm honest, I wasn't expecting much for the price when I ordered these but I couldn't have been proven more wrong. I ordered two bulbs at first for some new wall lights and was so amazed how good these look, ended up ordering 6 more for the main lights in the living room. Obviously depends on the fittings you have, but I've now got a real old school, medieval type look going on.

They're very well packaged, turned up on time and half the price of others I've seen.

Pathson Industrial Vintage Retro Metal Loft Coffee Bar Kitchen Corridor Light Sconce Wall Lamp Edison Light Fixture (Black)
Offered by Pathson (Europe)

5.0 out of 5 stars Look fantastic, 19 April 2017
I needed to replace a couple of wall lights in our new house and eventually stumbled across these. I needed them to be adjustable to point up away from the TV they're above, but also so I can move around if needed. For the price, I took a punt on these and so glad I did.

They're very good quality, sturdy and packaged really well. My sparky even commented on the quality and said he'll be purchasing a couple for his own house. I picked up some retro style bulbs (reviewed separately) and hooked up to a dimmer, am so pleased with the end result. Difficult to take a good quality picture on the phone with the lights on, but hopefully gives you an idea. If the style is what you're after, I'd recommend these without hesitation. Apologies for the wall, still applying some finishing touches decorating!
Comment Comment | Permalink

BLACK+DECKER KA161BC Mouse Detail Sander with Accessories
BLACK+DECKER KA161BC Mouse Detail Sander with Accessories

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not very sturdy, 16 April 2017
Does exactly what it says on the tin and found it very useful for the detailing on doors and skirting boards. My only issue is the vacuum connector snapped after a week of use whilst connecting it up. It's a small item, but would have expected it to be more sturdy than it is. A bit of a bodge job with some gaffa has helped, as for the price a bit of a faff to return back and wait for the replacement.

Wireless Doorbell, JETech Portable Wireless DoorBell Chime Plug-in Push Button with LED Indicator Over 50 Chimes, No Batteries Required for the Receiver (White) - 2122
Offered by JEDirect UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit, 16 April 2017
For some reason I was a bit dubious about a wireless doorbell. Not entirely sure why still, seemed to think the range wouldn't work, it would be really tinny and just a bit, well...rubbish. This is a great item and had it up and running in no time. Plug the adapter into a mains and the ringer where needed and that's it. No syncing or long winded process for it to work.

Plenty of novelty chimes/bells, looking forward to certain times of the year to try them out. There's two buttons on the plug in adapter to choose volume and ring tone, if you're as geeky as me you'll spend more time going through all 52 tones than installing the item itself. So simple, looks very good and a bit of fun for an otherwise normally quite boring purchase. Tempted to buy another adapter and stick it upstairs just for fun. Might need to get out more.

Cosatto Easi Peasi Changing Station Fable - White
Cosatto Easi Peasi Changing Station Fable - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive...but worth it, 18 Oct. 2016
As new parents, we naively thought we could get away with a £20 changing mat that we could put on the bed or chester drawers for changing. Not so bad through the day, but at 3am when you've got a bad nappy, you're tired and (for my other half) you've been feeding for several hours with an aching back, the last thing you want is to be bent over trying to fiddle with everything.

This was one of several 3am purchases made whilst in those hours of 'what do we need to make life easier' moments. The key thing here is that the station is chest high to you making it so much easier for changing. It arrived quickly and well packaged, very simple to assemble. But, what we all want to know is whether it's worth the price. Simple answer is yes. Whether you're a first time parent or not, anything that makes what you thought would be a fairly simple task (but subsequently isn't) is money well spent.

There's plenty of storage on the station for wipes, nappies, bags so everything is at hand. As long as you're organised in ensuring everything you need is on there, gone are those 'where are the wipes/nappies/bags' moments at times that let's be honest, you really can do without. The bathing unit is very good, as you can wheel the entire station to the bathroom and use the shower to fill. A simple pipe attached to the bath unit itself allows for easy drainage when ready, saving your poor aching back from carrying heavy tubs of water.

It looks really good and is solid enough to justify the price tag. Overall, I'd recommend it to anyone with a newborn even considering the price.

Micromuff Skinny Wind Muffler
Micromuff Skinny Wind Muffler

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply attach the fur bit on the Velcro and you’re good to go, 7 April 2015
I’m starting to get a grip of recording video with my Sony DSC-HX300, but the type of footage I shoot is normally outdoors in open spaces (motorsports), which often results in lots of wind noise. I should really have bought a camera with an external mic input, but I didn’t so I was looking for a way of reducing wind noise with what I’ve got. I stumbled across this item and whilst the price seems high the results justify it. You basically get a small piece of fur and some Velcro, which depending on your camera, might need a bit of a chop to get it to fit over your camera mic. Simply attach the fur bit on the Velcro and you’re good to go.

I’ve tested this in some fairly blustery conditions and am really impressed with the performance. It cuts out the majority of the wind noise, whilst still picking up the audio you’re trying to capture. Remember, your camera mic is unlikely to be of great quality to begin with so this won’t suddenly transform your audio into broadcast quality, but will certainly improve it to a much better standard. Overall, a good item albeit slightly high in price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5