Profile for L Weale > Reviews

Orla Kiely Flower Stripe Cosmetic Bag
Offered by allbeautyShop

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cosmetics bag, 22 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have looked at these in the shops and haven't been able to quite make up my mind whether to buy one or not, so I was delighted to get to try one in exchange for a review. The bag is roughly 20cm by 15cm by 3cm with a bold 'gold' zip which has a beige 'leather like' tag. The outside is made of Oral Kiely's solid oil cloth fabric that's used for lots of her bags and the inside is a fine shiny material. If you like Oral Kiely's patterns - which I do - it is extremely pretty and it looks well made. After two week's usage it is still looking very nice.
It turns out it isn't a perfect bag for me - 15cm x 20cm is a bit big for my handbag, I can carry it around in my backpack but there are times when I find I am separated from my lipstick or my eye drops. It is also a bit narrow, which means it bulges in the middle and I can't find things at the bottom.
I was torn between 3 and 4 stars, different bags work for different people and if you had a bigger handbag this might be perfect for you, on the whole I decided on 4 stars because I love the pattern and every time I see it makes me smile.

Make mate Genuine Leather Ultra Thin for iPhone 6 plus iPhone 6S plus Flip Cover Case with Window View Stand Feature Phone Case for iPhone 6/6S Plus 5.5 Inch (Orange)
Offered by Shenzhen DLL Technology Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what it says on the tin..., 10 July 2017
I bought the cover for a friend whose phone has a habit of ringing people when he puts it in his pocket. I thought having a wallet style case might reduce this. We haven't had it very long but I have had a lot of requests from the supplier to put in a review. Its a nice quality wallet style case and comes with a screen protector as a bonus. My friend wants something that is ultra-thin as he puts it in his shirt pocket at times. The difference to my eye between the thickness of this case and mine - is that mine has a fastener on it but it does seem to be thin enough and so far, his phone hasn't rung anyone unexpectedly. I think it is a good case - I like to save 5 stars for things I really love, so a solid 4 stars.

Honeywell W1KS Lyric W1 Wi-Fi Water Leak And Freeze Detector - White
Honeywell W1KS Lyric W1 Wi-Fi Water Leak And Freeze Detector - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Water detector gives peace of mind but controlling app is power hungry, 28 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very useful pice of kit. It is basically a small box with a rubber base that peels off allowing you to put 3 AA batteries into it, which will detect water leaks and report back to you. Its easier if you download the Lyric app on to your smartphone and turn bluetooth on before putting the batteries into the detector. Once the batteries are in, bluetooth will 'discover' the detector and you should register and select your device and connect it to your home router. It does make me hope that Honeywell has good security on their smart appliances databases. After that the detector can be sat next to your washing machine or boiler say and monitor it for leaks. It can also be hung on a wall and the 'probe' attached - Honeywell recommend this if your area is prone to flood. Drowning the water leak detector breaks it.

Once it is set up the Water Leak detector reports back regularly and you get a little graph on the Lyric app.

I put the water detector on to a damp plate to see how it worked. It shrieked and I was sent an email and the Lyric app also notified me. I dried it off and I got 'its okay' messages.

Why not 5 stars? Ever since I installed the Lyric app, my phone has been running out of power faster than ever before. I had no power at all by 3pm today. I powered up to approx 100% 6 hours ago and I'm down to 59%. I'm using an Android and the battery report was the Lyric app was using 53% of the power and is now using 48%. I'm not sure I have to have the Lyric app installed now the detector is connected to my router but it looks like it has useful features than would be of benefit. Hopefully the next version will be less power hungry.

Gabor Shoes Women's Fashion Ballet Flats, Black, 6.5 UK
Gabor Shoes Women's Fashion Ballet Flats, Black, 6.5 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Summer ballet flat, 16 Jun. 2017
Gabor provide half sizes, which is such a rarity these days that it always makes me want to give them five stars, what ever. This is my second pair of Gabor 'ballet flats' and I was extremely pleased with my other pair but they stretched more than I expected and I ended being able to walk out of them. So this time I tried a 6.5 instead of a 7. The 6.5 was small to start off with and not as comfortable as the 7. I have wide-ish feet and could do with a slightly wider shoe but this is definitely bearable. After a couple of weeks of on and off wear I would say that the 6.5 has stretched sufficiently that it was a good choice. I'd say if you were a good size 7, then I would go for a 7 in Gabor and if you are a small 7 (or a large 6.5) you need to have a think about what size to buy (some people prefer insoles but I'm not a fan). After a couple of weeks these are nice looking shoes, a bit stretched just before the toe box (that's wider feet for you) with good rubber soles. My foot sticks to the thin leather insole in the right shoe and is now coming out when I take the shoes off but it goes back in okay. On the whole I will be buying Gabor again.

BIC Evolution Black HB Graphite Pencils with Eraser 12 Box
BIC Evolution Black HB Graphite Pencils with Eraser 12 Box

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart eco pencil, 16 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm wondering if I am being a bit grudging by not giving the BIC evolution black pencil, 4 stars rather than 5 stars. The pencil is black with a dark grey/silver outer coating and an eraser tip. People in my office liked the look of them and were happy to try them out. I sharpened 2, one with a pretty standard metal pencil sharpener and the other with a Kum long point sharpener. They both left a slightly ragged edge to the 'wood' but the lead was in good shape. The eraser is better quality than most pencil erasers. Depending on how hard I pressed affected how easy it was to erase the results. So altogether its a perfectly good pencil. What was odd, is that it is springier than a wooden pencil - I'm sure it must be the recycled stuff it is made out of.

What Everyone Needs to Know about Tax: An Introduction to the UK Tax System
What Everyone Needs to Know about Tax: An Introduction to the UK Tax System
by James Hannam

5.0 out of 5 stars The first golden rule of tax: Lots of small taxes together add up to make big tax bills and other information..., 30 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have finally finished 'What everyone needs to know about tax', it is only a slim volume and written in a friendly-style so pretty accessible but it is still quite a heavy-duty topic so I found myself taking breaks after every couple of chapters. The other thing is that although James Hannam seems to me to be resolute in his determination not to talk politics, tax is a subject that is very political and some of this book makes you think 'woah'.

James Hamman says this book doesn't provide tax advice but is aimed to give everyone who reads it more insight into the current British tax system. I think he does that very successfully. I now know there is something called 'transfer pricing' and roughly how it is used to ensure that a product sold in the UK but made in China and designed in the USA pays tax in China, the USA and the UK - not something I knew a week ago.

So in my view this book is a very good read and I would happily recommend it to anyone who wants to understand the bones of the current UK tax system. I can see James may have to issue regular updates as we have elections and get to grips with leaving the EU.

Sony Bravia KDL49WE753 (49-Inch)  Premium Full HD HDR TV (X-Reality PRO, Triluminos Display) - Black (2017 Model)
Sony Bravia KDL49WE753 (49-Inch) Premium Full HD HDR TV (X-Reality PRO, Triluminos Display) - Black (2017 Model)

3.0 out of 5 stars Never mind the quality feel the width, 23 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing we noticed when this large TV was delivered was how light it was - we were expecting something that would be far more cumbersome to carry around.
This, in itself, made installation less painful than previous tv's. The physical installation was straightforward - Sony supply an installation guide, mostly in pictures, and with a few lines of text in 21 languages. The one problem was that we couldn't find the screws to attach the machine to the stand. It turned out these were taped to the outside of the plastic bag with the stand, rather than with the other bits and pieces. Connecting the TV to our (BT supplied) wireless router was also straightforward.
The supplied remote control was perfectly adequate for all our purposes.

The lightness of the machine comes at a price. Much of it does not feel very solid. The stand (which does not swivel at all) felt flimsy. It did its job fine, but didn't inspire confidence if the TV was knocked. Possibly the TV would be best on a wall rather than the stand (although the connections are in the rear, not the side, so it would need to stand out from the wall).

Our primary comparision in testing this was with our current 55" Panasonic machine, a more premium model but now at least seven years old.
The sound produced by the Sony was, by any standard, mediocre. This may be due to having extremely light speakers, but in any case we would not want to listen to music or serious audio effects on this. They do provide an optical output, but you need to use their (supplied) special adaptor to connect a standard Toslink audio cable. We would strongly recommend external speakers.

We tried the TV with three sources - our BT TV box connected to fibre-optic internet, from the HDMI output of my MacBook, and using the TV's built in connection to Netflix (which was very easy to setup). The picture quality was fine when playing HD material - colours were different than our Panasonic, but all machines wind up different (we made no attempt to adjust the Sony - all settings were left as they came out of the box). On the other hand, its display of Standard Definition material was frankly disappointing to the extent that it diverted you from the material. We would be very reluctant to use this for anything but HD sources.

The TV comes with only two HDMI connections. This may be part of the general minimalism that contributes to the lightness, but it also means that in a household like ours with lots of "gear" coming and going we would never use this as our main set.

The instruction book, unlike the set-up instructions, is entirely in English, but as the same thin book covers all of seven different families of TV's, it is unclear what applies to you. The book is not as useful as it could be. We wanted to find out how to record via the supplied USB connection, but could not find this in the table of contents. It turned out that the one sentence instruction of this was given as a footnote to the section on playing back recordings. In any case, we could not get this function to work. Whenever we attempted to record a program coming to us from our BT-TV box onto a USB stick, we got an error message that said , in effect, "we could only record digital content" - which is what we thought we were doing. We still have not gotten this to work.

Overall, this machine offers a great deal of screen space for the money, and an acceptable HD picture. It's obvious use would be as a wall mounted additional set,. for someone who was viewing only HD content from one source (maybe Sky Sports?). It is not the ideal set for those of us old enough to remember when Sony was a premium brand with high spec products.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2017 11:48 AM BST

Rieker 64278-16, Women's  Open toe Sandal, Blue (Navy/Tan), 6.5 UK (40 EU)
Rieker 64278-16, Women's Open toe Sandal, Blue (Navy/Tan), 6.5 UK (40 EU)
Offered by Schuhmaxx

4.0 out of 5 stars Summer sandals, 14 May 2017
I bought these sandals having bought some Rieker sneakers that I found very comfortable. Based on the sneakers I bought a size 40(Eu) and they are a good length. I have wider feet and although I don't droop over the sides of these shoes, I find the toe bar is a little tight but have been out walking several times and its bearable and possibly loosening up a little. The sole is solid rubbery stuff. I think the shoes are pretty, the gold edging is shiny in the sun and they are nice. The velcro ankle fastener works fine. I don't find the rubbery soles have much cushioning in them and my toes feel stiff at the end of the day - I'm sure this is down to my toes but if you need some padding, these may not be the shoes for you. So far I'm pleased with Rieker, its a mid price brand (in my view) and seems reliable. No doubt I will be trying out other shoes by them in the future.

Flat AUX Cable, GizzmoHeaven 0.5m Audio Cable 3.5mm Premium Auxiliary Stereo Jack to Jack Lead For Beats Headphones, Apple iPod iPhone iPad, Home / Car Stereos, Smartphones, MP3 Players, Speakers and More - 0.5 Metre White
Offered by GizzmoHeaven

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made cable, 14 May 2017
Admittedly its a cable and maybe 5 stars over inflates its value but I wanted a short cable to attach my digital radio to a better speaker and this is exactly as promised and reasonably priced.

Essential Winetasting: The Complete Practical Winetasting Course
Essential Winetasting: The Complete Practical Winetasting Course
by Michael Schuster

5.0 out of 5 stars Friendly introduction to wine and wine tasting, 14 May 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm going to start by quoting Michael Schuster in his introduction to his book, where he says that the book is made up of four parts:
1. Before the bottle: is about how to taste and assess wine about how grapes are grown and how wines are made.
2. In the bottle: describes the wines of the world based on grape variety.
3. In the glass: is a 'do-it-yourself' wine tasting course, base on my (Michael Schuster's) own courses.
4. Reference: consists of maps country statistics, and a tasting terms glossary.

I like this book. I think I would have really liked it when I was doing the Wine & Spirit Education Trust's part 1 course and exam (at my local comprehensive school), as it provides nice straightforward information that allows you to go into a tasting better informed. As an example Mr Schuster says 'Australia makes three broadly different styles of Semillon-based wine' and then goes on to discuss Hunter Valley, Barossa Valley and Western Australia Semillons. This is too big a book to lug around a supermarket but you could take notes on a type of wine you are thinking of buying before going out shopping. The format is nice when it comes to pictures, you get images of landscape that is 'typical' for the area, of methods of wine making, and - which I think is pretty brave - pictures of white wines against a white background so you can see the difference in colours between varieties. Michael Schuster's prose is firm and friendly and reminds me of all the friendly Wine-Tasting teachers I have had, who don't want you to like what they like but want you to know enough about what you are buying that you buy something you like. I can see myself going back to this book to refresh the basics and giving it as a gift.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20