Profile for Liz > Reviews

Squires High Performance Flexi Lace (cake lace for cake mats) 500grams
Squires High Performance Flexi Lace (cake lace for cake mats) 500grams
Offered by Whisk N Whip

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 12 Mar. 2016
I've used cake lace for years now and this was dreadful. I tried this so I could move away from the two part mix I usually use but wish I hadn't bothered.

Tried it 3 times on 2 different mats with the same result each time. The lace was too delicate to take out for a long time after coming out of the oven, completey distorting the shape. I left it too air dry a bit thinking it was just not set enough, but when I went back to it after a few hours the edges were brittle and snapped off.

I did manage to get two pieces out (out of a total of 6 mats and 21 pieces of lace between them!) but they were thinner than the one I did as a reference with my usual brand and didn't look as good.

When I left the first lot overnight in the mats as they were too delicate/not set enough after coming out of the oven, the entire thing had to be thrown as it had turned completely brittle. I can't imagine this would be nice on a cake if that happens when it's left in the air. On that note, it smells pretty horrible and has an almost bitter taste (not as pronounced when set but still not exactly pleasant. Seeing as the other one has a very pleasant vanilla smell and sweet taste, I don't really get why they didn't bother doing the same with this.

I gave this a good go to make sure it wasn't a one off. I used 300g to make 6 mats over 3 separate occasions, and after the first one made absolutely sure I followed the instructions. I see people have said it works well if allowed to air dry. Unfortunately when I get an order I may not have time to let it air dry so it has to work in the oven (as it says it will!). To have a product which does not work in the way it says, forcing you to leave it for a day longer than suggested is to me not a product that works.

I'll be paying the extra money to get the old one which personally I think is streets ahead of this.

Ladies Watch with Crystal- Turquoise
Ladies Watch with Crystal- Turquoise
Offered by Betterware Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars This was pretty cheap, but looks good in the photo so ..., 11 Dec. 2015
This was pretty cheap, but looks good in the photo so I thought it would be ok. It does not look as nice in the flesh.

Fine for a young girl who wouldn't notice quality I suppose, but will be going back as I can't give it as a gift to my teenager.

It also doesn't come in a box or any sort of presentable packaging, it's just wrapped in a bit of bubble wrap in a corrugated sleeve.

Bullshirt's Men's Value Christmas T-Shirt.
Bullshirt's Men's Value Christmas T-Shirt.
Offered by Bullshirt

5.0 out of 5 stars Husband loves it, 11 Dec. 2015
Excellent shirt. As expected for the price paid it's not exactly a quality shirt (quite thin), however I think this adds to the design so I don't count it as a negative at all :)

5cmDia Half Ball Sphere Cake Muffin Pastry Jello Silicone Pan Mold Tray Bakeware
Offered by yssabout

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty rubbish, 23 May 2015
First off, the seller was very good, I've given them a 5 star rating. Unfortunately the product was pretty naff for baking, which is what I bought it for.

Silicone should be non stick, so the first time I used it I didn't grease it. I couldn't get anything out, they all stuck terribly. I thought maybe as they were so cheap I'd help them along (can't really complain given the price), but even with good greasing they still all stuck.

Useless for baking,but I reckon they'll be ok if I want to use it as a chocolate mould or something,hence two stars. Shame I have no need or want to use them for that.

Lloytron B7502BK Portable Wireless Door Chimes (Twin Pack)
Lloytron B7502BK Portable Wireless Door Chimes (Twin Pack)
Offered by Guilty Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking and works well so far!, 30 Jan. 2015
I know there's not much you can say about a doorbell, but as wireless ones go this was the best looking one I could find. The illuminated blue circle around the bellpush is handy at night, and the chimes are loud (although you can turn the volume down if you need to).

Also - I didn't know this when I ordered - there are tons of melodies on top of the normal 'ding dong' rings. I'm not usually into that stuff, but who wouldn't want Jingle Bells or Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer playing over the Christmas period? :D The kids thought it was great, and it even made the postie smile :)

Ask Me About my Zombie Diguise Funny Flip-Up t Shirt M
Ask Me About my Zombie Diguise Funny Flip-Up t Shirt M
Offered by Crazy Dog Tshirts Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 7 Jan. 2015
I bought this for my son for Halloween as he didn't want a standard costume, and it was brilliant. I painted his ribs to look really bony and added some fake blood in areas so when he lifted it up it looked very effective.

It's been washed a few times and is fine so far, although with printing on both sides I'm not sure how long this will last!

Imitation Gold Leaf 140 x 140 mm
Imitation Gold Leaf 140 x 140 mm
Offered by CF Stonehouse & Sons

5.0 out of 5 stars Good loose leaf, 7 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Imitation Gold Leaf 140 x 140 mm
This is a good colour match for standard yellow gold, the sheets are a little thicker than real gold imo (I could touch it with a dry finger without it trying to cling like real leaf does), and delivery was extremely fast.

The only thing is that the leaves are loose. I was after transfer, and as I couldn't see anything specific in the details (unless I'm just missing it?) I had a look at the reviews. The only 2 star review mentions it being hard to get off the backing which I wrongly assumed meant it was a transfer. This isn't a fault of the seller - I should have double checked before purchase - and the product is good, but just in case anyone else wanted to know I thought I'd mention it!

Google Nexus 10 Inch Tablet Case - MoKo Slim-Fit Multi-angle Folio Cover Case with Auto Wake / Sleep for Google Nexus 10 Android Tablet by Samsung, BLUE
Offered by BSCstore EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 29 Jan. 2014
My OH has a Nexus 7 with a case that has a 'frame' of leather around the screen. I really dislike this type of case, as it's hard to hit the home/menu area etc. Also, because it's just got cut outs for the volume/power keys, they kind of slide underneath the case and you have to dig around for them.

He recently bought me the Nexus 10, and I spent a while looking for a case without the frame effect. This one only has the little clips, so everything is completely accessible. Like other reviewers, I've found the clips at the base are a little stiff at the moment so I'm a bit cack-handed getting it into the stand position, but I've only had it a short while so I think this will get easier.

Weight wise, it's 300g ish. Yes it does add half as much weight again as the tablet itself, but it's a 10" tablet, so it's not like it's a lightweight in the first place, even when naked. I can see why this might be annoying for some, but this is not an issue for me personally.

The only thing I wasn't so keen on (and again it's personal preference) is the case having to be in front of the tablet when it's standing, rather than hidden behind like the cases that fold into a triangle are. This is only a bit of an issue for me as I use it in the kitchen, and I'd rather have as slim a profile as possible. It's not enough of a niggle to take it down to 4 stars though.

Street Surfing The Whiplash Wave Kids Scooter - Black/red
Street Surfing The Whiplash Wave Kids Scooter - Black/red
Offered by Fulton DS Europe

3.0 out of 5 stars Would be great if it was decently built, 12 Oct. 2012
We bought one of these in June to replace one that the board had broken on (same design scooter but different seller). It arrived very quickly but the main handle part kept pulling out of the gripper at the base as the clip that holds it in was not up to the job.

We contacted the suppliers and to their credit they immediately replaced it. Unfortunately the replacement was also a bit iffy and in the last 6 weeks the handle has started pulling out again every time it's used, which is obviously very dangerous when you have a child going at speed on it.

I'm about to try and get this sorted for a second time, as I don't feel 2 breaking in 4 months is acceptable, especially with the same problem.

Just a warning if you get it, make sure you double check the fixing at the bottom of the handle and keep your receipt!

I would say when it is usable it's great - my son loves it and used it every day.

Just to say, we returned the second one to Amazon, who refunded us as they felt we should not have had two breakages with the same product. As always, Amazon customer support is just excellent.

Nightmare Before Christmas Gift Pack Includes Optical Mouse and Mouse Mat
Nightmare Before Christmas Gift Pack Includes Optical Mouse and Mouse Mat

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent set, 7 Oct. 2011
I bought this a few months ago for my son's 10th birthday and it went down very well. You can't tell from the picture, but it is a wired mouse. Personally I think this is better for a kids mouse as it means it stays attached to the laptop rather than being lost, which I have no doubt would have happened by now had it been wireless!

It's perfect for little hands, being a little smaller than standard mice, and as a nice little touch the wheel on top lights up blue.

The pad is pretty thin but is perfectly adequate for an optical mouse.

The designs are very striking on both the pad and the mouse - the mouse design is printed btw (not stickers) and so far looks as good as when we bought it.

All in all a super little set and a very nice pressie for kids. If they did a larger wireless version I'd have one myself!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3