Profile for sarajubbnaturopathy > Reviews

Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation
Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation
by Michael Pollan

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect writing, 8 May 2013
Ok, so I'm going to gush here a bit....

When I was about 16 and I heard Joni Mitchell's Blue album, I felt like I couldn't breathe. Not just her equisite voice and haunting melodies, but the raw emotions in the songs was mine. It was as if she had stolen my thoughts and yet was able to express them more eloquently that I could ever do.

I've had that feeling a few times over the years, mainly from recording artists and occasionally from painters and novellists. But this year it has happened to me several times, on each occasion when reading Michael Pollan.

As a naturopath and nutritional therapist who advocates a connection to Nature through the growing, choosing, cooking and consuming good quality whole foods, I am in awe of the simplicity with with Michael Pollan can communicate this advice. He links complex philosophical notions about our relationship with the soil and with animals to the pure pleasures of eating in ways that make my brain sing with clarity.

Reading Cooked was a near-religious experience for me. I found myself nodding and making little moans of approval with almost every paragraph. And not just at his ideas. Like 'In Defence of Food', the writing was so close to perfection, I found myself re-reading sentences and even memorising some of his expressions.

The only bad thing I can say is that it makes me painfully aware of my own limitations as a writer and a thinker and now that this book exists, I almost don't know why I should even bother.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2013 12:47 PM BST