Profile for AK > Reviews

From Imperial Splendour to Internment
From Imperial Splendour to Internment
by Nicolas Wolz

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh look at an old subject, 7 Dec. 2015
A fascinating book, providing a much needed alternative viewpoint. It gave me a real insight into the strategic implications of the creation of the Kaiser's "luxury fleet", and explained the often durprising way it was employed during the war. A thought-provoking and intelligent history.

To Hell on a Bike: Riding Paris-Roubaix: The Toughest Race in Cycling
To Hell on a Bike: Riding Paris-Roubaix: The Toughest Race in Cycling
by Iain MacGregor

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb ride, 7 Dec. 2015
I bought the Kindle version of this after reading a favourable review of it. I thought it might be an entertaining read for a long train journey. I was't disappointed ... the hours flew by and I became fully engrossed in this amateur cyclist's journey across Picardy. It was witty, engaging and touchingly personal. I'm no cyclist but I felt I was with Iain every jolting minute of his ride ... and cheering him on. Highly recommended.

American Civil War
American Civil War

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating Bug, 16 Sept. 2015
This review is from: American Civil War (App)
This game is quite fun ... right up until it crashes right when you're a turn or so from victory. It happens every time, regardless of how much you play with the settings. The frustration of this outweighs any charms the game may have. In the end I deleted it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2015 9:31 PM BST

European War 4: Napoleon
European War 4: Napoleon

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but Flawed, 19 Aug. 2014
This review is from: European War 4: Napoleon (App)
While I really enjoyed this game, it provides minimal information on how the system works. What information is given is so baldy translated that it becomes virtually unintelligibl . Most frustrating of all is the fact that it doesn't tell you how it determines victory. Usually its the capture of a key enemy city, but sometimes it isn't. You only progress to the next level when you win a victory, but sometimes you have no clue what that entails. After a week of playing it, I became so frustrated with this that I gave up.

Total War Battles
Total War Battles

1.0 out of 5 stars Unuseable, 21 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Total War Battles (App)
I'm sure the game is very good. However, on my Kindle it loads upside down. When you turn the tablet around the image turns too, so it stays upside down. This renders the game unplayable, and I urge any potential buyer not to waste their money on it until Sega have sorted out their product.

Aluminium Flagpole 20ft with Union Jack Flag
Aluminium Flagpole 20ft with Union Jack Flag
Offered by The discount outlet

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone can fly the flag, 11 July 2013
It was with some trepidation that I bought this, as I know my limitations when it comes to DIY-type projects. However, after the hard part - digging out the hole (16x16x24") the rest was completely straightforward. Actually, I followed the advice posted in previous reviews, and it worked. I didn't bother lining the sides of my 2 foot hole, as the soil held a good clean section, and I found I needed 2 1/2 bags of Postcrete rather than two as stated by an earlier reviewer. I then used some of the topsoil I'd removed earlier to fill the hole to the top, and then replaced the turf I'd removed. Job done.

The pole itself is aluminium, and while the diameter is fairly thick (about 7cm) the pole still waggles slightly in anything above a light breeze. As I live in Orkney (600 miles north of London) I plan to keep the flagpole bare in strong winds, and dismantle it in winter. However, its perfectly secure, and this lightness also makes it easy to erect and dismantle. The finial at the top is a rather vulgar gold bobble the size of a grapefruit, but I hope it'll weather slightly with age. The package came with a Union Jack and an unwanted English flag. Not being English I threw the latter away, but will proudly fly the Union flag to annoy the separatists. I also went out and bought an Orkney flag, and a pirate one, just for a bit of variety.

All in all I can thoroughly recommend this product, which represents excellent value for money, and is well within the ability of anyone capable of digging a hole. Of course, you need to add the cost of 2-3 bags of Postcrete to your budget (£16-24), but even then this means you'll transform your back garden for less than £60.

Highly recommended.

Swordfish: The Story of the Taranto Raid
Swordfish: The Story of the Taranto Raid
by David Wragg

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping stuff, 7 Mar. 2010
I picked up a copy of "Swordfish" just before a long train journey, and the hours sped by. I was actually looking forward to the long trip back, so I could finish it. David Wragg is a good writer, with a light but firm and informed touch. The story of the Taranto raid is interesting enough in its own right, but Wragg turned it into a page-turning read. Thoroughly recommended.

The Words of War British Forces Personal Letters and Diaries During the Second World War
by Marcus Cowper

5.0 out of 5 stars Choice Words of War, 2 Sept. 2009
In the past few years numerous books have appeared which use first-hand accounts to tell the story of military endeavours. While this book is firmly part of that genre, it not only does the job extremely well, but the accounts themselves - culled from the archives of the Imperial War Museum - are fascinating. They would be of course- the museum has over 3,000 letters and diaries to choose from, and Marcus Cowper has selected the cream of the crop. They make compelling reading, not only because of their variety and erudition, but also as the author has set each of them in its proper historical context. This book is highly recommended - I read it over a weekend, as I just couldn't put it down.

1814: The French Campaign (Great Battles of the First Empire)
1814: The French Campaign (Great Battles of the First Empire)
by Francois-Guy Hourtoulle

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated, but impossible to read, 29 July 2009
This is a book you'd buy for the pictures. They're gorgeous - by far the best feature of the tome.

Unfortunately as a campaign history it leaves a lot to be desired. The text was obviously written in French, then translated - very badly. In places it looks like the publishers used Babelfish rather than a professional translator. It makes it all but impossible to follow, and some of the choices of phrases are laughable - or rather they would be if the book didn't cost so much.

The Orders of Battle are interesting, but - at least for the Allies - they're scanty, and littered with errors, from simple spelling mistakes to the omission of whole Corps. As a result I found it difficult to work out who was doing what, and where. The maps themselves didn't help much - the cartographer used the same symbols to show the location of a Corps as he did for a Division, a Brigade or even a Regiment.

I can recommend this book for the illustrations (worth buying just for that if you're a Napoleonic enthusiast), but this is far from being the definitive account of the campaign it purports to be. Therefore I can't recommend it.

The Ebro 1938: Death knell of the Republic (Campaign)
The Ebro 1938: Death knell of the Republic (Campaign)
by Chris Henry

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Summary of a Complex Campaign, 31 Oct. 2008
I wanted a precis of this last major campaign of the war, and this book was perfect. It covered all aspects of the fighting, provided detailed maps allowing the course of the battle to be traced easily, and was well illustrated, including several extremely rare images. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2