Profile for C. Clifford > Reviews

Halloween [Blu-ray]
Halloween [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Jamie Lee Curtis

2.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray disappointment, 19 July 2017
This review is from: Halloween [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
So this review isn't for the movie itself because there's already been a million submitted and any horror fan worth their salt will know what a legendary gem of a slasher film Halloween is. This review is for the 35th anniversary blu-ray edition which I feel a little disappointed with, the picture quality is decent but not as good as some blu-ray transfers I've seen (The Thing is still my benchmark) while there is more definition and a cleaner crisper picture than the dvd release I didn't feel like the colours popped off the screen as much as I'd like. But the real let down came from the very poor sound quality, the dialogue was so quiet it was almost a whisper most of the time while the music and sound effects were at normal volume which made for a difficult and irritating viewing experience. Such a shame since this movie is one of my favourites and helped to get me into horror all those years ago. Anyway I've played this through a couple of different TVs but made no difference, not sure if it's just my copy but overall I'm pretty far from impressed.

The Void [Blu-ray]
The Void [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~  Kathleen Munroe, Kenneth Welsh Ellen Wong

2.0 out of 5 stars Big let down, 30 Jun. 2017
This review is from: The Void [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
After watching this film I'm left feeling disappointed, after reading various reviews giving The Void very positive feedback I just feel let down. I went into the film with high expectations and was looking forward to a fun 80's style horror throwback full of gruesome practical special effects and a ton of gore but overall this was not delivered. Instead I got a slow paced cheap film that came so close to greatness but never quite made it. None of the characters were likeable and the story never really felt like it was going anywhere and the ending was just a confusing slap in the face that left me shaking my head. I only gave this film two stars because I feel it's intentions were good and I can see what it was trying to do (the loose Lovecraft feel was also appreciated) but in general The Void just didn't deliver the goods.

Zombie Dice
Zombie Dice
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmm delicious braaaaiiins..., 4 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Zombie Dice (Toy)
As you've probably noticed there are loads of reviews for Zombie Dice already so I'll try to give you my thoughts on this game as briefly as possible.

What we have here is an extremely quick and easy dice based filler game for 2+ players with a strong "push your luck" mechanic. The object of the game is to be the first player (or zombie) to eat 13 brains by rolling the dice (or victims) and collecting as many brains as possible without getting shot and killed. When to stop rolling and cut your losses before passing to the next player is up to you.

So as you may have guessed the main components of this game are the dice and I'm glad to say that all 13 are excellent quality (6 green, 4 yellow and 3 red all representing varying degrees of difficulty), also the plastic container is solid which is good because you'll constantly be shaking it and shoving your hand in to draw more dice.

The positives;
1. Zombie Dice plays very quickly and the rules are simple and to the point.
2. The components are basic but very well produced, the size is perfect aswell and will fit easily in a bag or pocket.
3. Zombie Dice is the definition of a good filler game, because of its fast pace and easy rules you'll be able to play a couple of games in just a few minutes and it will get the players talking and laughing before getting stuck into the next main game.

The negatives;
1. The zombie theme is good but feels very pasted on - this game could literally have any theme and play exactly the same. Shame on you Steve Jackson for jumping on the zombie bandwagon just for the sake of it.

So overall I would recommend Zombie Dice if you want a fun and fast filler game with good replay value and at a reasonable price too.

Dungeon Roll Dice Game
Dungeon Roll Dice Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad little filler game, 4 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Dungeon Roll Dice Game (Toy)
Being somebody who was looking for a fun filler game and also a fan of fantasy gaming with a dungeon crawl theme my attention was drawn to Dungeon Roll pretty quickly. After doing the obligatory review scouting I decided to buy this game and on the whole I'm glad I did.

So if you don't already know Dungeon Roll is a quick and simple dice game for 1-4 players, after choosing one of the 8 characters (each with their own abilities) you take it in turns to form a party before delving into the dungeon to fight monsters and discover treasure as you collect as many experience points as possible. Each player does this three times and whoever has the most experience points at the end wins.

In case you're wondering the gameplay is as simple as the concept, I won't go into a load of detail but basically this is a "push your luck" style game where each of your party dice is used to beat the dungeon dice and you continue until you either lose all members of your party or you decide to leave the dungeon.

The rules are very easy to learn and to teach others, you'll be playing this game as soon as it hits the table and it plays at a decent pace. It also has to be said that the components are very nicely made, especially the dice which feel solid and are clearly printed. I also really like the treasure chest style box which is actually used during the game to draw your treasure items from.

Since this is a filler game it's very light with no complicated mechanics that will confuse the players, even those who are new to gaming. As much as I do enjoy playing Dungeon Roll I couldn't quite give it the full 5 stars, this is mainly because I find it to be very repetitive and I usually don't play more than 2 games before moving on to something else. I know this is part of the point when playing a filler game but compared to others like For Sale or Biblios I just don't get the urge to keep going with Dungeon Roll.

So if you're looking for a fast paced, well made and cheap little dice game to fill that 20 minute gap during your games night then give Dungeon Roll a try.

Last Night on Earth Board Game
Last Night on Earth Board Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Send... more... paramedics, 3 Sept. 2016
As somebody just getting started seriously in the gaming hobby and a lifelong horror fan I knew I needed to have a zombie themed game in my new collection, but there's so many to choose from! So after doing a bit of research I narrowed the selection down and decided to go for Last Night On Earth.

So first and foremost LNOE takes pretty much every classic situation you've seen in a zombie movie, cleverly fits it all into a fast and fun board game then throws the players in the middle to work together to complete the various tasks and ultimately survive. So everything from finding gasoline and keys to start a truck and escape town to holding up in a mansion fighting back hordes of the undead until sunrise, it's all here plus a lot more (including the option the create your own scenarios).

If you're a fan of horror (especially anything involving zombies) then you're guaranteed to enjoy this game, it will all be immediately recognisable and you won't be able to stop playing. If you're not a fan of horror then to be honest you probably won't get as much fun out of this game, however if played with the right people LNOE could change your mind.

Personally I really love LNOE, the theme is a big favourite of mine and being able to get stuck in getting my hands dirty is great fun. The characters are your typical b-movie horror cast, from the small town sheriff to the farm girl and high school jock - all brilliantly portrayed and bring a big stupid grin to my face every time I play. As I already mentioned the scenarios are fantastic and offer a lot of replayability, especially since you can play as either the hero characters or the zombies it lets you try different strategies every time.

So the positives;
1. The horror theme is laid on very thick and really makes you feel part of a zombie movie.
2. The overall presentation is excellent, the artwork is great and the components are all of a very high and durable standard (especially the miniatures).
3. The rules are straight forward and quick to learn and teach.

And the negatives;
1. Although the game plays 2-6 people I wouldn't recommend less than 4 as having to play multiple characters can get confusing.
2. LNOE comes with its own soundtrack for when you're playing the game, but because it's so painfully bad I wouldn't advise it.

So on the whole I would definitely recommend this game to any of you horror fans out there, and even if you're not then still give it a try because it's hard not to enjoy LNOE.

Elder Sign Board Game
Elder Sign Board Game

5.0 out of 5 stars When Cthulhu calls..., 3 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Elder Sign Board Game (Toy)
Although I've always been a big gaming fan I only recently started getting into the hobby seriously, after taking some time to read several reviews I decided to make Elder Sign one of the first additions to my collection - and I'm so glad I did.

Initially I was interested in Arkham Horror because I really love the theme of the game but its so huge and detailed I wanted something a bit lighter that still had the feel and atmosphere that Arkham brings, which is where Elder Sign steps in. This is set in the same Lovecraft universe as Arkham but takes that rich theme and condenses it into a 60 to 90 minute gaming experience instead of the colossal 240+ minute marathon that Arkham delivers. So obviously this makes Elder Sign a much less intimidating game for somebody who is just getting started in gaming but wants a taste of that dark horror/sci-fi vibe, also at a much lower cost.

Just in case you don't already know in Elder Sign you and the other players work together as a group of 1920's pulp investigators making your way around an old museum and completing adventures in the many different areas of the building in a collective effort to stop one of the ancient evil gods from entering our world and basically destroying everything.

Overall for me this game ticks so many boxes, firstly it sets up quickly and the various cards and components are all beautifully made with great artwork. Secondly its easy to learn and teach which makes it perfect to pick up and play in a fairly short space of time. Thirdly it plays at a good speed and doesn't ever feel boring, thanks to the fast paced dice rolling nature of the game it gets really exciting at times. And finally the whole thing is dripping with that great Lovecraftian theme, everything from the monsters and investigators right down to the items you collect - it's very satisfying going into a creepy old museum armed with The Necronomicon and a tommy gun.

So if you're interested in Arkham or Eldritch Horror but like me you want something more accessible then have a look at Elder Sign. Also even if you have no interest in these other games but want a fun cooperative game that plays quickly and has a solid theme then definitely pick this up.

Cooling Fan (Xbox 360)
Cooling Fan (Xbox 360)
Offered by RAREWAVES

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not fancy, but it does the trick..., 27 July 2007
This review is from: Cooling Fan (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
After I got hit by the three red lights of doom I decided to invest in a cooling fan to hopefully prevent this from happening again. I chose the Logic3 Cooling Fan mainly because of the price but also due to the fact I hadn't found any reports of the fan melting like other similar products.

I recieved the fan yesterday and so far I'm happy with it, I do however have two concerns which brought my rating down to three stars.
The first is how flimsy the product looks and feels, it doesn't have a very solid feel and I was worried in case I broke it taking it out the packaging!
The second is how hot the fan gets, the amount of heat it throws out the back isn't a bad thing (at least it's working properly) but after approx an hour it was getting worryingly over-heated.

On the whole its not a bad piece of kit, I didn't think it was too noisy, the console itself was definitely cooler and when I changed games the disk didn't give me third degree burns on my fingers when I took it out.

The Exorcist [DVD] [1973]
The Exorcist [DVD] [1973]
Dvd ~ Ellen Burstyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Horror, 12 July 2006
This review is from: The Exorcist [DVD] [1973] (DVD)
Without question The Exorcist has to be the definitive horror movie, if you only get to watch one horror film in your whole life make sure this is it.

I've seen alot of horror over the years but I can honestly say that only The Exorcist has everything, a chilling story based on true life events (the real facts of which are yet to be fully uncovered), stomach turning special effects, brilliant acting and of course features the ultimate villain: The Devil.

The reason I titled this review "Perfect Horror" is because that's what this movie is. Even if you don't look at The Exorcist as a horror movie but instead study the film for what it really is you'll inevitably find that this is movie perfection. The casting is spot on, personally I can't imagine anybody but Linda Blair playing the possessed character of Reagan. All of the characters are well rounded and interesting, Father Karras (played by Jason Miller) being one of the more memorable as he battles with his own personal torment resulting from the death of his mother. The makeup and special effects are excellent and very cleverly done, making the young girl's gruelling ordeal all the more believable.

The Exorcist has always been hailed as being the most disturbing and terrifying movie ever made, and I would probably have to agree. The film deals with some very sensitive subject matter that even today is rarely touched upon, the thought alone of a defenseless young girl being possessed by Satan is a difficult matter to deal with - but when the grim reality is thrust in your face with all the subtlety of a freight train, its not pretty.

Although this movie was made over three decades ago, it still remains as shocking and frightening as ever. I would highly recommend that you take the time to watch The Exorcist, even if you're not a fan of horror you will still find this to be a thought-provoking and deeply moving piece of movie history.